Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 08:53 PM

220 posts, read 331,554 times

Advertisements

I thought this editorial was interesting~

10 Ways Kasich Hurts Ohioans | The Columbus Free Press

(I learned some things, like how Ohio ranks 46th in private sector job growth, & "while the rest of the nation has regained all of the jobs lost during the 2008 economic meltdown, Kasich still needs to create 213,000 new jobs just to return to pre-recession numbers in Ohio.")

Any one have any thoughts on this? Especially since it appears he's going to continue being our governor for at least 2 more years, & then maybe our president. ((shudder))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 02:06 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,863,799 times
There are a number of things Kasich has done to earn my disapproval. All said though, he's more good than bad, and he's got my vote in November. None of the stuff I'm about to list would mean I'd pull the lever for Fitzgerald - as he seems to be just another lockstep Democrat who will give us more of the same failed policies of the past six years.

1) He should try again with SB5. Limiting the power of public employee unions to extract money from public employees in the name of "union dues" is absolutely necessary to clean up our political process; as union money has just become a gravy train for Democrats everywhere.

2) He expanded Medicaid under Obamacare. All's fine on paper, except Obamacare is only going to pick up 100% of the tab for a few years. After that, it's an unfunded liability for the state. Unlike the federal government, the state has to run a balanced budget.

3) The income tax cuts passed this year were offset by hiking taxes on the fracking industry. Five years ago, fracking was a nonentity, but it now accounts for 44% of domestically produced oil. For the first time in 30 years - after presidents and environmentalists have talked about it for the 30 years - the United States has a realistic chance of getting off foreign oil, thanks to domestic sources. Hiking taxes on them is not a good way to spur growth.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:25 AM

220 posts, read 331,554 times
Just fyi, a new report highlights the short term life of shale gas & oil production~

October 27, 2014
Abstract

"Drilling Deeper reviews the twelve shale plays that account for 82% of the tight oil production and 88% of the shale gas production in the U.S. Department of Energy’s Energy Information Administration (EIA) reference case forecasts through 2040. It utilizes all available production data for the plays analyzed, and assesses historical production, well- and field-decline rates, available drilling locations, and well-quality trends for each play, as well as counties within plays.

This report finds that tight oil production from major plays will peak before 2020. Barring major new discoveries on the scale of the Bakken or Eagle Ford, production will be far below the EIA’s forecast by 2040. Tight oil production from the two top plays, the Bakken and Eagle Ford, will underperform the EIA’s reference case oil recovery by 28% from 2013 to 2040, and more of this production will be front-loaded than the EIA estimates. By 2040, production rates from the Bakken and Eagle Ford will be less than a tenth of that projected by the EIA. Tight oil production forecast by the EIA from plays other than the Bakken and Eagle Ford is in most cases highly optimistic and unlikely to be realized at the medium- and long-term rates projected.

Shale gas production from the top seven plays will also likely peak before 2020. Barring major new discoveries on the scale of the Marcellus, production will be far below the EIA’s forecast by 2040."

Drilling Deeper Post Carbon Institute

Also, Kasich gave the frackers a low tax to begin with. He may be talking about raising it now before the election, but why did he set the tax lower than any other state to begin with?

Old 10-29-2014, 09:19 AM

5,301 posts, read 5,277,692 times
Every one of those 10 reasons is why Kasich should not be governor...Hd the Democrats found a better candidate, there is not doubt they'd win this election...Mayor Jackson from Cleveland or Mayor Coleman from Cbus would have been much better candidates.
The Democrat Party in this state needs to find better leaders and better candidates all over. There is simply no excuse for a purple state to be dominated by the GOP in the state politics.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
There are a number of things Kasich has done to earn my disapproval. All said though, he's more good than bad, and he's got my vote in November. None of the stuff I'm about to list would mean I'd pull the lever for Fitzgerald - as he seems to be just another lockstep Democrat who will give us more of the same failed policies of the past six years.

1) He should try again with SB5. Limiting the power of public employee unions to extract money from public employees in the name of "union dues" is absolutely necessary to clean up our political process; as union money has just become a gravy train for Democrats everywhere.

2) He expanded Medicaid under Obamacare. All's fine on paper, except Obamacare is only going to pick up 100% of the tab for a few years. After that, it's an unfunded liability for the state. Unlike the federal government, the state has to run a balanced budget.

3) The income tax cuts passed this year were offset by hiking taxes on the fracking industry. Five years ago, fracking was a nonentity, but it now accounts for 44% of domestically produced oil. For the first time in 30 years - after presidents and environmentalists have talked about it for the 30 years - the United States has a realistic chance of getting off foreign oil, thanks to domestic sources. Hiking taxes on them is not a good way to spur growth.

The Fracking Industry shoudl be taxed much higher for all the environmental damage it's causing. The only 3 governors worse than Kasuck are Scott Walker in WI, Nikki Haley in SC, & Chris Christie in NJ. Probably Larry Scott in FL as well.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:35 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,998,129 times
I am glad the article mentioned the way he screwed over the Libertarian Party, Charlie Earl in particular, I have known Charlie Earl for five years and he would have done serious damage to Kasucks vote totals.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:46 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,186,023 times
I wish the Democrats would have ran Strickland again. Now he was an excellent governor, and is mostly responsible for what recovery we have had.

Although to be honest, I have been satisfied with Kasich. I'm still peeved by his persistence to kill the 3C train, but I think he honestly cares about Ohio and wants it to do well. And he's entrepreneurial in his approaches, both JobsOhio (as much as it gets debated) and the Medicare expansion show he's willing to take advantage of whatever opportunities he can. So he's definitely not as bad as I would have expected him to be and IMO he does a good job. He's someone I can respect.

Now if he just start working on some marijuana legalization legislation, be supportive of expanded service on the Amtrak line from Cincy to Chicago, and not try anything stupid again like his collective bargaining move, then I'd be really happy haha.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
I wish the Democrats would have ran Strickland again. Now he was an excellent governor, and is mostly responsible for what recovery we have had.

Although to be honest, I have been satisfied with Kasich. I'm still peeved by his persistence to kill the 3C train, but I think he honestly cares about Ohio and wants it to do well. And he's entrepreneurial in his approaches, both JobsOhio (as much as it gets debated) and the Medicare expansion show he's willing to take advantage of whatever opportunities he can. So he's definitely not as bad as I would have expected him to be and IMO he does a good job. He's someone I can respect.

Now if he just start working on some marijuana legalization legislation, be supportive of expanded service on the Amtrak line from Cincy to Chicago, and not try anything stupid again like his collective bargaining move, then I'd be really happy haha.

He also needs to drop his Bigotry towards the LGBT community and support same sex marriage and stop going against what every court nationwide has ruled.

He also needs to bring back the Renewable Energy Standards Law...billions of dollars of economic activity and countless job opportunities are being lost as well as a chance for a cleaner environment...

Old 10-29-2014, 10:28 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,029,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
I am glad the article mentioned the way he screwed over the Libertarian Party, Charlie Earl in particular, I have known Charlie Earl for five years and he would have done serious damage to Kasucks vote totals.

That d***move that he and the Republicans in the Ohio senate pulled by blocking 3rd parties from the ballot, and limiting our choices as voters therefore rigging the game so that we only have a choice between both fraudulent parties in my mind cancelled out ANY good that he may have done for this state. That and his opposition (along with his neocon buddy DeWine) to legalizing cannabis in Ohio even for medicinal purposes, because he thinks it's a dangerous drug! I wonder how much Big Pharma is greasing their palms? Earl and the other Libertarians more than likely won't win, but they have my vote, because I sure as hell am not voting for any of the democrats or republicans!

Old 10-29-2014, 10:58 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,186,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
That d***move that he and the Republicans in the Ohio senate pulled by blocking 3rd parties from the ballot, and limiting our choices as voters therefore rigging the game so that we only have a choice between both fraudulent parties in my mind cancelled out ANY good that he may have done for this state. That and his opposition (along with his neocon buddy DeWine) to legalizing cannabis in Ohio even for medicinal purposes, because he thinks it's a dangerous drug! I wonder how much Big Pharma is greasing their palms? Earl and the other Libertarians more than likely won't win, but they have my vote, because I sure as hell am not voting for any of the democrats or republicans!
Great points you bring up, and actually that makes a nice segway to this video from UpWorthy about how specifically elections are flawed in this country. Check it out:

Elections In America Have A Big Problem I Didn't Even Know Existed. But His Solution Is Genius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio