Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 11:21 PM

640 posts, read 1,987,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Avoid NE Ohio if winter isn't your thing. The difference between a snow belt winter and a southern Ohio winter is extremely dramatic.
You know, I just found out how different the weather is from NE to SE Ohio. You can find everything on the Internet, lol. I found maps for average winter temps, avg # of sunny days, natural hazards, etc. If I only could place them all on top of each other and see what areas end up being the best of the bunch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJEN78 View Post
Lima for school(UNOH) and man do i hate this state.
Why do you hate the entire state?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
I am planning to move back to Downeast Maine at some point in the future, the town I am moving to (Eastport) has for the most part remained unchanged since I was a little kid in the 1960s, it is very isolated and remote and at the northernmost extreme of the east coast.
Where I live now (Lebanon) was a nice little town 40 years ago when there was only 8000 people living here and the surrounding area was farmland. Over the last 15-20 years developers have ruined the area, putting up cookie cutter subdivisions anywhere they could, and strip malls, fast food places, etc. As a result there is more traffic, noise, crime and litter.
The nicest town in this area is Waynesville, they have a small grocery store a few restaurants and a lot of antique shops, unfortunately they have a McDonalds but because of local opposition it was built in a way that was less detrimental to the town. If you need to go to Kroger or Wal-Mart you can get to Lebanon in 10 minutes or 10 minutes to Springboro which has a Kroger and a K-Mart. The Caesars Creek State Park is about 5 minutes away.
You may want to look through the "Buckeye Photo Thread" as well.
Urban sprawl, I know what you mean. We saw that when we were living in AZ for a couple years. A glut of cookie cutter communities outside and all around Phoenix, some becoming large enough to be named towns. There were already well-established towns outside Phoenix, of course, but we saw probably 4 new towns rise up out of the Phoenix ashes while we were there. We left just in time, too.
I really liked AZ though. Dry air is easier for me to deal with. I'd settle more north in the state if we ever moved back there so we could experience 4 seasons.

Moving to Maine? Really? You don't mind the cold weather then, I guess.

Thanks for the info about Waynesville, and I have looked at that photo thread! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 07:49 AM

44 posts, read 91,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane0218 View Post

Why do you hate the entire state?

ive been to alot of states, and alot of places in ohio, the people here suck, rude, they cant drive, most are pretty dumb, no common sense. dont get me wrong, ive met some alright people. but as a whole, nope!!!

Old 09-14-2014, 08:49 AM

23 posts, read 46,076 times
B) If you've moved to Ohio, where did you move from, why, and are you happy where you are? Would you move to another area of Ohio, or want to leave the state?

This is going to be random. So. Fair warning...

I moved here to Ohio after the passing of my mom. I moved here from Jacksonville, Florida because all I had in Florida was mom & a job. Friends had moved on, and even local family was 'distant'. We had always planned once mom's health got better we would move out of Florida (you know, like pick a spot and go there). She got to the point in which she didn't like it anymore and I can't stand the oppressive heat and humidity, and lack of seasons, etc. After mom passed, I had a ticket to Ohio (courtesy of my gf & her mom) and figured I could always find another job elsewhere so Florida had nothing left for me. It was time for me to move on. In hindsight, I had a feeling mom knew she was going go because just the way things worked out in the last few months...

Oddly enough over the last decade or so, I had a few connections trying to bring me to various parts of Ohio. Even my webhost is based in Akron (ive been a customer of theirs for 7 years). I did what any sensible human would do. I cashed in on the Ohio ticket, and left Florida... Compared to 3 months of upper 90s and enough humidity to swim in in Florida... Seriously, only a few days of "hot" mid 90s... I'll take it! Love it when its 60F out. Then again I was born in Illinois an love cooler weather. I haven't seen real 4 seasons since the early 90s and I just love the fall. I'm pretty happy here and I'm glad I got here when I did because of the help my gf's mom needs. Don't know what they would do if I wasn't here.

Though compared to where I'm at I would actually like to move to a closer town to where I could at least walk to something nearby. Port Clinton is the closest city and all the times I've been through it, its nice so I wouldn't mind if I could move there. So far Ohio has been good to me, especially all the resources and help available for people. Its more laid back here compared to hurry and now (ok you're late) mentality of Jacksonville.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:26 PM

640 posts, read 1,987,225 times
Quote:
ive been to alot of states, and alot of places in ohio, the people here suck, rude, they cant drive, most are pretty dumb, no common sense. dont get me wrong, ive met some alright people. but as a whole, nope!!!

Where in Ohio do you live? maybe it's the area?

What states do you prefer, the ones you've lived in?

Old 09-14-2014, 01:17 PM

95 posts, read 219,469 times
We moved out of Dayton actually Beavercreek which is a part of Dayton. My husband retired from WRAFB
and relocated to Fort Myers Florida. I missed Ohio at first especially the Fall season. But not to much anymore we have been here over 2 years. Beavercreek is a nice area of Dayton nice community and pretty good schools.
I may return one day but for now I'm enjoying the Florida Beaches and weather.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:13 PM

328 posts, read 434,507 times
Quote:
I lived in Ohio my entire life and this is not even close to being accurate. You must have lived in some no so great areas to have these opinions as most people I have known my entire life from Ohio are decent, hard working, smart, family oriented and do well.

What other states have you lived in and for how long?
What parts of Ohio did you live and how long?

Last edited by MB86; 09-14-2014 at 03:06 PM..

Old 09-14-2014, 02:28 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,161,281 times
^I will give INJEN78 some credit. He appears to attend school at the University of Northwest Ohio, which is a technical/vocational school in Lima, and apparently it borders a rough area. Most students who attend school there are white, conservative, and from small rural towns that likely they will being going back to as welders, mechanics, etc. So Lima and its crime / blight might be a slight culture shock.

That being said, it doesn't excuse GUM mistakes. I know I make my share of grammar, usage, and mechanics mistakes on here, but most of it I blame on the iPhone autocorrect (I do a majority of my posts from the iPhone). It's hard to make a strong case when you aren't spelling the words correctly or you can't string a logical sentence together, which happens frequently on here.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:34 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,134 times
There is no perfect place for weather. The individual has to decide what they can tolerate the most - hot or cold. Can the person stand a few months of humidity or a few months of harsh winter?

Old 09-14-2014, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,091 times
Im in northeast ohio near cleveland and I do not like it. I have visited other cities in ohio and there just ok. The weather here is 4 seasons bit winter lasts the longest 6 months. I love the summer and fall here but those seasons dont last long. The winters here are extremely cold and this winter is gonna be even colder. Im looking to move to Texas in the next year or two unless I find somewhere better.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:50 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times
When I left Ohio it was a job opportunity that I took to move to Charlotte, NC...I took it for 2 reasons, I had just had a very bad breakup and needed a real change of scenery, and my job while it was ok, was kind of a dead end job...I took an opportunity which I thought would be better...I was living in Columbus when I made that move.

Coincidentally, I made a move to Florida after 5 yrs in Charlotte because another job opportunity came up that I really thought woudl pan out...unfortunately I was sold a pie in the sky idea by the owner and he turned out not to have a great business plan and that ended after about 18 months....because I was not in a bigger city w/ a lot of good opportunities, I had to come back to stay w/ family in Cleveland while finding a new job...after a couple months, I found a good job in Cincinnati which I took...and of course now I'm back in Columbus w/ another job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio