Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 09:59 PM

3,416 posts, read 5,152,837 times

Advertisements

This article and image offer one rather insightful explanation of the socio-cultural divide that exists between the 3 major cities in Ohio.

Last edited by Cleverfield; 11-06-2013 at 10:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 10:18 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,153,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
No thanks. NE Ohio has very little in common with Michigan and Wisconsin outside of sharing a Great Lake.

I would not be against NE Ohio becoming its own state as we kind of look to ourselves versus what's going on in Columbus or Cincy. We have more in common with places like upstate NY or Western NY. I think we had talked about it a while back on UO and calling it the state of Erie or something. Hell, the damn Turnpike money could at least stay here instead of some money going to Columbus, Dayton, or Cincinnati where the people rarely or never use it.

From the Connecticut Western Reserve and the layouts of our towns, the sense of regionalism all across Ohio whether it be SW Ohio, Central Ohio etc. We have our own culture and different demographics, accents, etc. Akron is centrally located, make that the capital, and call it a day. Three different states in one, and NE Ohio being a prime candidate to being its own state. Never will happen, but people can dream.
LOL!!!!! I thought the most push back would be from places like Montreal, Ottawa, and Toronto rather than places like Akron, Cleveland, or Erie. People in the Great Lakes States from Milwaukee to Buffalo share the same culture, demographics, and accents. Most great lakes people (excluding MN) speak with an inland northern american accent.

Are you also part of that group who likes to refer to Cleveland as "East Coast" too? Or are you settling on Upstate New York...(it kind of sounds more sophisticated than the usual Midwest or Rustbelt term). Please! I lived in Cleveland and it is 100% a Great Lakes City no more and no less than Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, or Toledo. Each town will have some variants. At any rate, don't get worked up. There won't be any changes. Btw, I have been to Cincinnati, and I loved the city! Why would you not want to be part of a state which houses such a great city? You want to trade in Cincinnati for where?

Inland Northern American English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-08-2013, 06:36 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,421,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel8406 View Post
There seem to be a lot of articles about secessionist movements recently, but few mention that they'd need approval from Congress before becoming their own state. In the case of Colorado, they'd also need approval from the governor and the state legislature. I just don't think anything is likely to happen but it'll be interesting to see the results.
The fact that it's even happening at all is pretty significant. Obviously, I don't foresee the feds just rolling over and allowing secession(for obvious reasons).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Breaking up the state would make every region weaker, not stronger.
That's an assertion, nothing more.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:43 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,137,796 times
ksu sucks;32143441]).

Quote:
That's an assertion, nothing more.
Really? So answer this: You have Ohio which has the 7th largest state economy in the nation and the 2nd largest in the Midwest. Breaking up the state into several smaller ones will have what instant effect? You would go from 7th largest and having more government dollars and representation, to having significantly less. Do you want to be Rhode Island? How in the world would that make your region stronger?

Old 11-08-2013, 06:50 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,200,306 times
six pages to this inane thread.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:01 AM

^
That being said, I deffo do see the old "Western Reserve" as sort of an unofficial state-within-a-state. It IS different than my part of Ohio.

And I'm suprised no one has seen the cultural/heritage tourism marketing opportunity in that, yet....this aspect of Ohio is dimly known even to Buckeyes....

Old 11-08-2013, 07:04 AM

This book is not about Ohio per-se but makes an excellent argument that the Midwest was born in Ohio from upland south and mid-atlantic parentage, ....idenfying the Scioto Valley and the Land between the Miamis as the birthplace of Midwest agriculture:

Making the Corn Belt

Old 11-08-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
In the age of regionalization, why would we want to break up the administration of services which are currently state-wide and effective?
If the ultimate goal of a democratic government is to represent the view of its citizens, then a more localized state is preferable. The larger and more centralized a state is, the more likely it is that it will ignore the will of its constituents.

Put simply: all other things being equal, the smaller the state the more democratic it is.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
ksu sucks;32143441]).
Really? So answer this: You have Ohio which has the 7th largest state economy in the nation and the 2nd largest in the Midwest. Breaking up the state into several smaller ones will have what instant effect? You would go from 7th largest and having more government dollars and representation, to having significantly less. Do you want to be Rhode Island? How in the world would that make your region stronger?
A couple of things come to mind.

1) You realize that the political identity "Ohio" is just an arbitrary border, right? I mean, obviously you realize this, but judging from your comments it seems like you're somehow missing this point.

For instance, whether Cleveland is a part of "Ohio" or a part of "The Western Reserve" or whatever smaller state, Cleveland still exists as is. It's still a city...full of the same people...functioning as before. There is nothing about being located in the state of Ohio which changes Cleveland(or any other major Ohio city...well, Columbus might be a different story).

2) In terms of tax money: If you assume that federal tax dollars are rewarded proportionate to population in the first place(which seems to be your assumption), what difference would it make if the state split up? In fact, it would likely benefit cities like Cleveland and Cincinnati to have the ability to skip the middlemen in Columbus.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:24 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,137,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
A couple of things come to mind.

1) You realize that the political identity "Ohio" is just an arbitrary border, right? I mean, obviously you realize this, but judging from your comments it seems like you're somehow missing this point.

For instance, whether Cleveland is a part of "Ohio" or a part of "The Western Reserve" or whatever smaller state, Cleveland still exists as is. It's still a city...full of the same people...functioning as before. There is nothing about being located in the state of Ohio which changes Cleveland(or any other major Ohio city...well, Columbus might be a different story).

2) In terms of tax money: If you assume that federal tax dollars are rewarded proportionate to population in the first place(which seems to be your assumption), what difference would it make if the state split up? In fact, it would likely benefit cities like Cleveland and Cincinnati to have the ability to skip the middlemen in Columbus.
I'm not missing anything. Whether you see it as arbitrary or not, the fact is that the larger border contains a collective economy that is the 7th largest in the US. What you're saying is that Wal-Mart needs to be broken up in order to have a bunch of Family Dollars. While the smaller areas may do just fine economically (I'm not convinced of that at all), they would simply NOT be as strong individually as they would be as part of a larger whole. Like it or not, Cleveland benefits from the larger area. The state tax money it receives is far greater now than it would be with a much smaller state that would only include the city/metro area, especially when the metro continues to decline in population.

In any case, this conversation has gotten stale. It's a dumb, extreme idea, and beyond that, it will never happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio