Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 12:37 PM

19 posts, read 48,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Would you ever consider living in southwest Ohio. Why or why not?

First thought of southwest Ohio?

Whats too much their and whats too little in southwest Ohio.

Does southwest Ohio fit your lifestyle why or why not?

Is their more positives or negatives?
I've lived all over Ohio. Cleveland is my hometown. Spent a decade in Columbus. Have lived in SW Ohio (Dayton area) for the past decade.

I always thought of SW Ohio as too southern and conservative for me, but the place grows on you. I truly believe people are basically the same everywhere, they just come up with different solutions to their problems, like any other organism adjusts to a specific environment. Sometimes the solutions don't seem very adaptive to me, but I'm a small d democrat--let the locals decide how to run their affairs. And anyway, SW Ohio has Yellow Springs, too.

SW Ohio is nice country, not too flat, not too hilly, rolling with both fields and forests. The winters are milder here than up north but the summers are not too hot and long. Actually, the weather here is great because it is always changing.

I like Dayton. A lot. It is a real city with a pretty impressive history for its size. It is currently in decline, no question, but I rather make do in a real place than flourish in a fake one! Dayton and Cincinnati are slowly but surely merging into a combined metropolitan area, and Columbus likewise is less than an hour away. For me, it means that I can access bigger city amenities as needed but live in a rural area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 05:42 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,704,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Dayton has the personality of Larry the Cable Guy.
I cannot recommend this comment highly enough. ROTFLMAO!

Old 02-06-2013, 10:02 PM

477 posts, read 665,568 times
Quote:
I am a libertarian and an evangelical fundamentalist
Those two shouldn't be said in the same line unless you actually believe religion has no place in politics. I'm sorry that just irks me as socially liberal fiscally conservative people don't have a voice in politics in this country. (I'm more liberal these days but was raised by them and still have a bit of a streak here and there on fiscal issues).

Old 02-06-2013, 10:45 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,133,232 times
I am from, and am currently living in Cleveland.

For Cincinnati: very insular. People from there think it's the best city around, mostly because that's the only place they've ever lived. It's also very conservative, and not very hip or stylish. I don't know why, but I have a somewhat better impression of Dayton for some reason. It strikes me as more similar to my native Cleveland, or perhaps Youngstown in its industrial roots, and current state of post-industrial economic depression. It seems like a city that's trying to reinvent itself, like Northeast Ohio is.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:59 AM

4,497 posts, read 6,247,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
I am from, and am currently living in Cleveland.

For Cincinnati: very insular. People from there think it's the best city around, mostly because that's the only place they've ever lived. It's also very conservative, and not very hip or stylish. I don't know why, but I have a somewhat better impression of Dayton for some reason. It strikes me as more similar to my native Cleveland, or perhaps Youngstown in its industrial roots, and current state of post-industrial economic depression. It seems like a city that's trying to reinvent itself, like Northeast Ohio is.
If you have a better impression of Dayton over Cincinnati, I would wonder if you have been to the two cities. They are totally different. And while the suburbs of Cincinnati are conservative, and not hip or stylish, there are many areas of Cincinnati that are. Not to mention the city of Cincinnati is liberal and majority Democrat.

CBD, OTR, Pendleton, Mount Adams, Prospect Hill, CUF, Clifton Gaslight, Northside. That's a large swath of Cincinnati, and by no means exhaustive. All of the neighborhoods I mentioned are quite unique in their own right and many under heavy redevelopment.

If you mean that Dayton and Cleveland are both similar being post industrial cities struggling to make it I would agree, except I would give Cleveland props for redeveloping it's urban core, whereas Dayton does not have a foot hold in this area at all, not yet anyways.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:51 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,628,454 times
Quote:
For Cincinnati: very insular. People from there think it's the best city around, mostly because that's the only place they've ever lived.

I agree 100% with this comment.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
People from there think it's the best city around, mostly because that's the only place they've ever lived.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I agree 100% with this comment.
I must be the anomaly then. Former New Yorker who has lived in LA and a dozen or more other cites smattered across the country.

Is Cincinnati the best thing since sliced bread? Nope.

Is it as bad as you guys are saying? Nope, not even close.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:45 AM

41,979 posts, read 75,252,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
If you have a better impression of Dayton over Cincinnati, I would wonder if you have been to the two cities.
Everyone has their own opinion, my friend. No need to get your panties in a twist.

Hell, I had that identical initial impression of Cincinnati, and that impression didn't change all that much after living there for 20 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Is it as bad as you guys are saying? Nope, not even close.
Not bad; just honest.

One of Cincinnati's "quirks": those perpetual rose-colored glasses ...

Old 02-07-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Everyone has their own opinion, my friend. No need to get your panties in a twist.
There not twisted in the least. Just stating the obvious - Cincinnati proper and Dayton proper are worlds apart. Similarities exist, but are in the minority.

Quote:
Hell, I had that identical initial impression of Cincinnati, and that impression didn't change all that much after living there for 20 years.
I think a lot of comes down to where a person lives in Cincinnati as to what their experiences will be like. Mileage may vary. But to paint the entire region as insular, etc., is an over generalization. Thus, I listed the neighborhoods I did and said there are no doubt other areas as well that are not as people claim.

Quote:
Not bad; just honest.

Why is it if I am positive on certain points regarding Cincinnati, I have on rose colored glasses? Shoot the messenger? Strawman tactic? What? Just curious.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:04 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,028,553 times
Quote:

Not bad; just honest.

Tell me you didn't write this...or say this...or even THINK this, Og81! (Please tell me it ain't so...) Geezus! After residing as long as you have in a classy city like Philadelphia, we all discover that you can't even distinguish the difference between an also-ran like Dayton and a class-act like Cincinnati?! Needless to say, Og81, we here in the Queen City have learned to brag about what we do have w/o having to clarify, justify, apologize, modify, or vindicate. (Got it?) I really think that you need to trade in a set of our "rose-colored glasses" for a set of powerful, "X-ray bifocals" for yourself. (Seriously.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio