Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2012, 07:41 AM

3 posts, read 5,880 times

Advertisements

I have a water problem in back of my condo. The landscapers tried to plant grass a couple years ago and it didn't take (gutters overflowing, no sun, too wet). For one year I laid cardboard around in a 10x10 area so I could take my dog out without getting wet/muddy. I requested permission to install pavers which, according to the bylaws, is allowed with "board approval." I said I would finance the simple grading to eliminate the water problem (which is also causing my porch slab to crack with winter freezing) and maintain it myself. The board refused 3 requests for 3 options. I found plastic squares at Home Depot which lay over grass and are supposed to look like pavers. They're temporary and look better than the wet cardboard. The HOA gave me this past winter to remove them (because they had not "approved the pavers") and said they would fix the water problem themselves. This spring I got a letter informing me of a $50 fine for not removing the "pavers." I'd like to take the HOA to small claims court, to have them either fix the water problem before I'm required to remove the plastic squares, allow me to install pavers (or give me a reason why they won't allow it which they refuse to do) and recover any fines they impose because of their negligence. Do I have a chance to succeed? Where do I begin? I'm on social security and can't afford an expensive lawyer. My daughter said I should write a letter to the board essentially saying, "fix the water problem in two weeks or I'll sue", then take them to small claims court to recover the fine and any water damage." Please help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 07:46 AM

Default Forgot to mention...

I live in Broadview Heights OH, suburb of Cleveland.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:09 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,125,172 times
Don't see why you couldn't take them to small claims. It seems, if your story is accurate, that they're not leaving you with much choice in the matter. If you do end up suing, just make sure you have all the documentation of all the contact/communications between you and the HOA.

Personally, I never would've purchased a home that had an HOA attached. IMO, there's something fundamentally wrong with other people telling you what you can and cannot do to your property, especially with something as small as paving stones. There are of course reasons for zoning, such as safety concerns, but beyond that, HOA's just seem to be the most anti-American thing I can think of, and they often turn into dictatorships where they fine you for not mowing your lawn enough. It's crazy.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:07 AM

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I haven't done anything yet, but next week I'll draft a letter and then get my paperwork organized. I agree with you about HOAs sometimes being anti-american.... I can understand conformity of communities, but I don't understand why any HOA wouldn't want to maintain the value of your property and their community.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:07 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,125,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CondoGrandma View Post
Thanks for your thoughts on this. I haven't done anything yet, but next week I'll draft a letter and then get my paperwork organized. I agree with you about HOAs sometimes being anti-american.... I can understand conformity of communities, but I don't understand why any HOA wouldn't want to maintain the value of your property and their community.
Maintaining property values through conformity is why HOAs exist, though they often become little more than neighborhood dictatorships. I can understand rules for safety or environmental concerns. I can understand wanting people to at least maintain their properties (no cars on blocks or couches on front porches kind of thing), but demanding all fence heights be the same or every house be the same color... it's like living with the Stepford Wives and it's creepy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: