Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 06:32 PM

46 posts, read 93,427 times

Advertisements

Being that I am all about supporting local businesses in the Youngstown/Warren area, one of the latest "movements" to support our local economy is The Mahoning Valley Cash Mob. Sort of like a "flash mob," this type of movement is popping up all over the country.

The Mahoning Valley group has now grown to over 500 members, and growing on a daily basis. Their main focus: flooding local businesses on a certain day of each month with a cash mob, spending at least $20 and help the local economy/community.

I think this is a great idea. Check out the links:

Cashing In for Local Business - WKBN - 27 First News - Local News - Youngstown, Warren, Columbiana, Ohio - Sharon, Pennsylvania

https://www.facebook.com/groups/mahoningvalleycashmob/

As far as supporting local businesses, my wife and I only eat out at locally owned restaurants. With so many places the Mahoning Valley has to offer for food, the chain restaurants don't stand a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 08:39 PM

189 posts, read 399,722 times
I eat at local restaurants and buy my video games from a locally owned game stores. Do I pass?

Old 04-21-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkenstein91 View Post
I eat at local restaurants and buy my video games from a locally owned game stores. Do I pass?
Lol. I would say you pass. Just wanting to get a feel for how people perceive the "local" thing.

I try to buy my groceries from locally owned stores, rather than Walmart or Giant Eagle.

Thinking about trying the local farm markets in the area too.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:30 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
Basically, try to spend money locally.

I rarely eat at a chain restaurant. (when Mom visits, she prefers nat'l chains, though; I guess she likes the name recognition/predictability.) Also, I consider Handel's Ice Cream an exception, because they were founded here.

I try to do business with people who are located in the city, and then region. (appliance repair, roofer, plumber, etc.)

I also do most of my grocery shopping at Sparkle--a local grocery chain.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:13 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
The cash mobs are pretty cool and they expose people to businesses they didn't know were there. We always try our best to support our local businesses, especially restaurants.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:48 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,585,426 times
There is no local economy to support, don't delude yourself. Money leave the town as soon as SS and (un)employment checks arrive. To pretend that you support "local economy" when virtually all your life necessities are procured from suppliers located 1000+ miles away is beyond rational. Everything is super specialized and inter-connected. So what if you'll get a haircut from a local barber? That means only that money would leave the town 1 day later. It doesn't make any damn difference.

Just look at the decaying Ohio towns. They were a part of the global supply chain in the past. Now, to maximize bottom line of top 1% they and their populace are written off the global economy balance sheets. They don't have any local economy to speak of, they cannot have any local economy because they need to procure raw materials and Capital from outside to launch anything (including barber shops). If you import raw materials and Capital, you must export something in return. Local barber shops are possible only and only because influx of SS and unemployment checks from outside. The end.

In 98% of cases, "local economy" are unessential & superfluous businesses skimming SS checks that you can very well live without. Yes, they sorta impose a vanity tax on people with excess of disposable cash (including deluded cash mobs), other than than they serve little purpose. No way no how those businesses can provide for life necessities of the local "communities". The essence of local economy - providing for local survival basics.

Last edited by RememberMee; 04-22-2012 at 12:02 PM..

Old 04-22-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
There is no local economy to support, don't delude yourself. Money leave the town as soon as SS and (un)employment checks arrive. To pretend that you support "local economy" when virtually all your life necessities are procured from suppliers located 1000+ miles away is beyond rational. Everything is super specialized and inter-connected. So what if you'll get a haircut from a local barber? That means only that money would leave the town 1 day later. It doesn't make any damn difference.

Just look at the decaying Ohio towns. They were a part of the global supply chain in the past. Now, to maximize bottom line of top 1% they and their populace are written off the global economy balance sheets. They don't have any local economy to speak of, they cannot have any local economy because they need to procure raw materials and Capital from outside to launch anything (including barber shops). If you import raw materials and Capital, you must export something in return. Local barber shops are possible only and only because influx of SS and unemployment checks from outside. The end.

In 98% of cases, "local economy" are unessential & superfluous businesses skimming SS checks that you can very well live without. Yes, they sorta impose a vanity tax on people with excess of disposable cash (including deluded cash mobs), other than than they serve little purpose. No way no how those businesses can provide for life necessities of the local "communities". The essence of local economy - providing for local survival basics.

SS Checks and Unemployment checks? Are you kidding me? What does any of your response have do with anything said here? I agree that some people living in the area rely on SS and unemployment as an income, but not everybody. In fact, the majority of people living here have good paying jobs.

I happen to work for a small, locally owned business. If it wasn't for the local community supporting the services and products my employer sells, he would have went out of business over 25 years ago. My paycheck relies on the Youngstown/Warren community because it is the area we serve and we haven't had an issue in the last 25+ years.

There is a local economy here in the Youngstown/Warren area and you are too blind to see it. I know of plenty of businesses in the area who have suppliers within the area. V&M Star and GM are perfect examples of this.

Apparently your biggest issue is with people who collect SS and unemployment and there is nothing you can do about that unfortunately. Maybe you should take this up with your local congressman or senator on help to reduce the dependency on SS and unemployment. Decaying Ohio towns? Please...with the exception of Youngstown city and Warren city, the surrounding communities are still in great shape. If anything, there is a lot of investment coming back to these cities, creating jobs and helping the locally economy. The Youngstown area is not in a downward spiral.

My main point is getting behind the idea of supporting a locally owned business. For example: a locally owned restaurant versus the national chains, such as Olive Garden or Red Lobster. I get satisfaction knowing that the money I spend at a locally owned business goes back to the local business owner to reinvest into his/her business and not some out of town corporate chain network. By doing so, I know the money is staying within the community. The more we do this, the more the money stays in the community.

The more we support our locally owned businesses the more these businesses have the opportunity to give back to the communities they serve.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:27 PM

737 posts, read 1,148,318 times
Do you consider Panera a local business? How about other chains that are franchised by local owners? I am not aware of too many chain restaurants that are corporate owned, most are franchises.

I have never been cheated by a chain. You can return, have replaced, or get an adjustment on the fee. I have had independents use every excuse to get out of making things right. They seem to think that even when they screw up that they should still make a profit.

Plumbers are an exception. Always local. The chains are useless and more expensive for their technicians than local Licensed Master Plumbers.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
Do you consider Panera a local business? How about other chains that are franchised by local owners?
I would say yes, Panera is a local business. Sam Covelli provides jobs to our local economy. Although Covelli has to pay franchise fees, Covelli Enterprises is a great corporate partner for our area and is definitely involved in the community. Sam Covelli could have easily relocated when he decided to drop McDonalds and take on Panera and O'Charlies.

At least with local franchises, a majority of the profits are retained in the area.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:03 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
I also avoid chains like the plague. Easy to do in Cleveland. Even if they are local franchises.
There is a Paneras and a Subway down the street. I drive an extra mile to get lunch from the local deli. I may pay an extra $ but the food is better and the owner waits on me personally. Can't say I've ever seen the Paneras owner working the counter.
I will pay an extra dollar at the tiny hardware store in my neighborhood instead of going to Lowe's. I'll also be in and out in the time it takes me to park and get in the store at Lowe's.
I do shop at the big box stores sometimes. There simply isn't an alternative some times. But I try not to...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio