Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 08:13 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times

Advertisements

Forgive me if this question has been answered here before; this is the first time I've been on the Ohio forum.

Why does Ohio State University have the "The" in front of its name?

Here's how I understand it, but I don't know if I'm right or wrong:

in most states, the oldest public university, usually called Univ of ____, became the flagship university. most of these schools were designed for the liberal arts and professional schools and came into existence before the Morril Act set up land-grant institutions, geared towards agriculture and science. A good percent of land-grant schools were known as ____ State University. Many land-grant schools became (in time) the second flagships in their states....like Purdue and MSU. Others, like UIUC, became the single flagship in their state. and in some states, like Wisconsin, the existing flagship was granted flagship status and no new university was built (UW-Madison being that older university that received the land-grant status) and remained a one flagship state.

Ohio differed from other midwestern states, as the first one settled, in having a series of high profile public universities with great reputations....Ohio and Miami....long before the Morrill Act set up land grants. Neither Ohio or Miami were able to garner flagship status. When OSU opened after the Civil War, its central location in the state capital gave it an opportunity to gain the position of flagship that would not have been available to other land-grant schools where flagships already existed (in my own state of Illinois, Illinois State proceeded Illinois, but ISU was a teachers' college and didn't have the status of Ohio or Miami, so Illinois was the natural flagship; similar in California where an other San Jose State was also a teachers college and Cal when it was created became the flagship institution).

From what I have ascertained, it would seem that OSU was able to exercise a lot of clout to get the t in tOSU and to get the role of flagship. It felt it really needed the "the" since it could not, for obvious reasons call itself University of Ohio. (Penn State was in a similiar position in naming since the private University of Pennsylvania already existed; there never was a question of Penn State's flagship status as Penn is a private university, but the word "the" was used to make it sound like what it was.)

Am I right about this....or way off base and just spouting BS?

As an aside, as a fellow midwesterner, I'd have to say that the quality of the non-flagship status public universities...again Ohio and Miami in particular....exceeds anything in the region and perhaps in the nation with the possible exception of Virginia where UVa is the flagship, but W&M, with a less broad curriculum, remains an academic heavy weight.

Nationally out of the non-flagship public universities, I'd say schools like W&M, Miami, and Ohio are at the top of the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 10:05 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
I think you are reading to much into it. I don't think the THE constitutes anything other then: That's what OSU trademarked as its name.

I could be wrong.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:07 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
From OSU's FAQ:

Why are we called "THE" Ohio State University"?

In 1986, a new University logo was introduced in the hopes of moving away from the "OSU" symbol, which had been used since 1977. The change from simply "OSU" was said to "reflect the national stature of the institution." University officials wanted the institution to be known as "The Ohio State University," again, since OSU could also mean Oregon State and Oklahoma State University.

However, the "The" was actually part of the state legislation when the university was renamed in 1878. The following excerpt is from the Board of Trustee minutes:

"...the educational institution heretofore known as the 'Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College,' shall be known and designated hereafter as 'The Ohio State University.'"

Those who wanted the name change thought the original name was too narrow in scope, and that it was inadequate for the institution that was the only beneficiary of the land grant act. President Edward Orton was insistent that a new name would separate the institution from other colleges in Ohio.

Legend also has it that "The" was used to show the other colleges which institution was supposed to be the leader in the state - both in size and in financial support from the legislature.

FAQs - Ohio State University Libraries

Old 04-17-2012, 11:48 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,701,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Legend also has it that "The" was used to show the other colleges which institution was supposed to be the leader in the state - both in size and in financial support from the legislature.

FAQs - Ohio State University Libraries
So the original poster was on the right track.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:49 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,581,217 times
It just sounds arrogant to me, IMO.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:46 AM

12,981 posts, read 14,527,800 times
Maybe it sounds arrogant because they don't say the Ohio State University, more like THEE Ohio State University. Like the One And Only-TA DA! I was surprised to learn that it's the biggest university in the United States.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:15 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
Maybe it sounds arrogant because they don't say the Ohio State University, more like THEE Ohio State University. Like the One And Only-TA DA! I was surprised to learn that it's the biggest university in the United States.
Well, last I checked, there's not another Ohio State University anywhere in the country.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:53 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,995,901 times
The Ohio State University hospital and staff are the greatest !!!!

Thank you for all the great care and compassion you have lovingly gave to family and friends.

Can't wait for the Urban Meyer era to begin and the tailgate partying,food of football season the campus is like a city that easily doubles the population of my hometown.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:44 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Well, last I checked, there's not another Ohio State University anywhere in the country.
There is more than one Ohio state university, though.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:11 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,701,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
Probably was the prototype for Tank McNamara's "Enormous State University."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio