Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 08:38 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,971,574 times

Advertisements

I'm assuming the cost of living is more in York, than in the Youngstown metro, so housing and taxes are probably cheaper here. You would be halfway between Cleveland and Pittsburgh here and besides some of the bad inner city neighborhoods the Youngstown area is a fine place to live. There are many great school districts here so finding that shouldn't be a problem

I guess you just need to decide how far away from family you want to live, do you want to be in the northeast? There are pros and cons to both areas. We can tell you what you need to know about this area, but give us some specifics. Where will you be working? what do you like to do? what kind of place do you want to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 08:50 AM

498 posts, read 1,512,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
I'm assuming the cost of living is more in York, than in the Youngstown metro, so housing and taxes are probably cheaper here.
protip: housing is cheap in areas where most people do not want to live. youngstown has been tearing down homes and still can not tear down enough to pushes prices back up.
Quote:
You would be halfway between Cleveland and Pittsburgh here
which is important because driving out to those larger cities will be required in order to find anything more than small-town to do.
Quote:
There are many great school districts here so finding that shouldn't be a problem
those would be in the suburbs.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:03 PM

367 posts, read 623,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern,MASweatheart View Post
Thinking about moving to Youngstown from MA but have a choice of York,PA is really all that bad? I have kids is the schools BAD?Is it really have a lot of gangs and killings? I need a little honesty.....__
For example - stats are from 2010:

Population - 72,000
Murders - 25
Rapes - 28
Robberies - 235
Assualts - 406

The United States crime index that year was 319, Y-Town was 685, significantly above the average. There are some nice parts of Youngstown and some real ****holes. The schools are atrocious...

Old 04-24-2012, 12:30 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,971,574 times
Nothing surprising about these stats. We all know Youngstown isn't some pleasantville and yes the city schools are horrible. This is why I always suggest that people with kids send their kids to private school or move somewhere in the surrounding area, to a town that is safer w/better schools.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 634 times
I live on the South Side of Youngstown and would suggest living in Poland, Canfield or further out in Austintown. Years ago I would see city trucks repairing side roads, street cleaning trucks and grass cutters but those days are gone. It has been replaced with vandalized empty houses, large fields of high grass, roads with huge craters and trash dumping. The schools are terrible and many workers are unemployed. Loud music that vibrates your windows and rattles your house. Drug houses in many places. It isn't just the South Side either. The West Side is getting just as bad and the North and East have been like that for years. I could go on and on I have lived here all my life and seen the city go to the dogs. I will be moving myself in the next year or so to one of the areas listed above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio