Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2011, 08:41 AM

498 posts, read 1,508,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badguykc View Post
There is a building somewhere in Youngstown that says "YOU CAN CHANGE YOUNGSTOWN"...My family lives there and have for over 30 years...it's definitely worth a try if you ask me.
the building is on mahoning avenue right near the u-haul building. there is also a guy on midlothian that paints his own buildings in ugly colors and with swear words about go-go bars; he is a truer representation of the folks that populate youngstown. you can't change those people; you can't change youngstown.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 03:05 AM

392 posts, read 1,068,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 000000 View Post
the building is on mahoning avenue right near the u-haul building. there is also a guy on midlothian that paints his own buildings in ugly colors and with swear words about go-go bars; he is a truer representation of the folks that populate youngstown. you can't change those people; you can't change youngstown.
Yeah, James Ludt is his name I believe. Every city has its' population of nut boys and head cases, and I guess he's the leader of the Youngstown chapter...

Old 11-29-2011, 05:22 AM

8 posts, read 8,525 times
The Youngstown-Warren Metro area is a good place to live but, as Cortland Girl says, you have to choose a neighborhood carefully. There are a lot of things to do here and great resaurants. The new Covelli Center in Youngstown has brought in some very big names for concerts like Elton John, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Carrie Underwood, Tony Bennet, and others. Coming soon is Manheim Steam Roller for the Christmas season. The area is nationally known for high school football.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,614 times
Default Moving to Warren

Hi I am glad to hear you are moving to our area. I recommend Howland. Specifically Howland Wilson Road, Howland Springs Road, SpringWood Trace, or Forrest Hills. There is easy access to the interstate, the schools are good, and crime is low. If you must be in Warren do research on the particular street a house is located on. There are bad area's just like in any other city. A lot of people can tend to be negative about the area but I feel there are many good locations. Good Luck and Welcome!

Old 05-10-2012, 02:58 PM

46 posts, read 93,487 times
The Youngstown/Warren area is a great place to live. Don't be afraid! LOL.
We do get some negativity about the area. It was at one time a VERY depressed area; however, unlike some people on here think, we are making the turn for the better. The oil/gas industry has begun making an investment to the area, and hopefully bringing the jobs with it. Youngstown and parts of Warren do have their troubles, but can be avoidable if you choose to live in the right areas.

If you are afraid of Warren and Youngstown, I would suggest these communities in Trumbull County:

City of Cortland
City of Cortland > Welcome to Cortland

Bazetta Township
Bazetta Township

Both Cortland and Bazetta are a great place to live and provide easy access to the highways to get to PA. St Rt. 82 is easily accessible and can take you straight into PA. It is a good 15 or 20 minute drive away.

Cortland is a nice small town with a lot of great people. It's pretty quiet here.

Bazetta has the state park and is more rural. Mosquito Lake is also here. (Don't let the name fool you, there aren't a lot of mosquitoes). The state park is beautiful with a lot to do in the summer months. The trails are beautiful too.

Some parts of Warren are still very nice. The NE side of town near Trumbull Country Club is beautiful with older homes and great neighborhoods.

Howland Township just outside of Warren is very nice as well. Howland has some very nice and newer neighborhoods. Both Howland and Cortland (Lakeview Schools) have excellent school systems too.
Welcome to the official website of Howland Township, Trumbull County, Ohio

Other towns I would suggest would be:
Brookfield
Hubbard
-Both are very close to the PA border.
Vienna Twp.
Champion Twp
Niles
Girard
-Some parts of Niles and Girard are very nice as well. Girard can provide easy access to the highways as well to get over to PA.

The Youngstown/Warren area is great. You can't beat the cost of living compared to other areas either. Despite the negativity that comes with the Warren/Youngstown area, you will find that there is a lot to do here too.

We are also known for great food in the area with plenty of family owned restaurants that put the chains to shame.

Welcome to area! Good luck with your search. Plenty of us on here can help you with whatever you may need.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:17 PM

737 posts, read 1,149,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badguykc View Post
There is a building somewhere in Youngstown that says "YOU CAN CHANGE YOUNGSTOWN"...My family lives there and have for over 30 years...it's definitely worth a try if you ask me.
Why move to a place that needs to change? The townships around Warren and Youngstown are fine.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stahltkd View Post
Warren is ok. Not real bad or real good. I grew up and spent my first 35 years in Warren / Akron area. The big thing about the area is the lack of jobs and jobs leaving the area. One of the biggest employers is GM/Delphi and that has been downsizing since 1998. But since you already have employment.... not such a big deal - other than possible less desirable neighborhood / crime / etc

Warren does have great Italian and Greek restaurants. Most restaurants are local own versus the chain stores.

Depending on what you like for shopping - the area is not bad, but if you're looking for high end, then trips to Cleveland, Pittsburgh etc will need to happen.

Again, if you're looking at saving money on mortgage payment - Warren isn't too bad. For me (in my 30's) my opinion is that Warren is a great place to grow up or settle down - but not necessarily a great place to make a living - but then again - a lot less cost of living...
Only a few good restaurants are left. Alberinis, Cafe 422 (not original family), and Sunrise in Downtown Warren.

Cherry's, El Rio, The Living Room, Flamingo, Chieffos, Town and Country, Sabatini's, are all gone. Mostly chains now.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ora-Zio View Post
Hi I am glad to hear you are moving to our area. I recommend Howland. Specifically Howland Wilson Road, Howland Springs Road, SpringWood Trace, or Forrest Hills. There is easy access to the interstate, the schools are good, and crime is low. If you must be in Warren do research on the particular street a house is located on. There are bad area's just like in any other city. A lot of people can tend to be negative about the area but I feel there are many good locations. Good Luck and Welcome!
This is a great area. Secluded and convenient. If building new, Forest Hills is the place.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:11 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,497,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
Why move to a place that needs to change? The townships around Warren and Youngstown are fine.
I can only speak for myself, but the townships around Warren and Youngstown don't provide what I'm looking for in a place to live.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I can only speak for myself, but the townships around Warren and Youngstown don't provide what I'm looking for in a place to live.
That puts you in the minority. Most people in Warren or Youngstown would move in a minute if they could sell their house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio