Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 09:26 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,416,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago75Style View Post

The average ACT/SAT of incoming freshmen is far higher than YSU
The composite ACT score at Ohio U is "21-26" whereas YSU is around 20. Although there is a difference, that's rather insignificant in the grand scheme of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 09:35 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,946,741 times
i don't really buy that there is much of a difference between instruction at the state schools. the professors come from more or less the same places and so do the students. all the schools are party schools or academic schools depending on what you want. at OU, for example, if you are in the honors tutorial program, you'll surround yourself with probably the smartest people you have ever been around. at UC, you can attend one of the top three or four architecture schools in the country. i'm sure other schools have similar programs. i can name people less academically / ACT / etc successful than me who went to higher us news rated schools and people smarter who went to worse. education is what you make of it.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:09 PM

560 posts, read 1,715,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago75Style View Post
You're ignoring the fact that non-union states' public ed. systems score lower than union states' schools across the board, generally.

Herpity derpity derp.

On Unions and Education
Okay, well then compare your beloved unionized public schools to some private schools and lets see how the do. As someone who attended both public (with union teachers) and private schools, I can tell you two things:

1. College prep classes in public school seem like remedial classes in a Catholic school. Troy High School (Fullerton, CA) is one of the highest rated public high schools in the country... it doesn't even come close to standing up to any of the local Catholic high schools in that area.

2. I've got to admit, the best teacher I ever had was in a public school. At the same time, the most worthless and horrible teachers I've ever had were also in public schools... and there's nothing anyone can do to get rid of them because of their stupid union.

Quote:
On that note, YSU is not that great. If you want a good NEOH school at a low price, with far better programs, CSU. If you want to live south of Akron, OU is the best choice there is!
Doesn't that depend on what you want to study? I find it hard to believe that every program at Cleveland State is superior to YSU. When I was looking at it a few years back, it offered what seems like a lot and at a good price.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:28 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,280,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillytoCincy View Post
Ohio State is not that hard to get into. I am personally a big fan of University of Cincinnati. Talk about a beautiful campus that mixes old in with extremely modern. Plus their schools there are some of the top rated in the country. It is located in some pretty trendy urban neighborhoods that are quite popular with the student population.

Ohio State is in a league of its own. The largest university in North America, you bet there is a ton to do in the area. There is nothing like the Short North anywhere else in the country, and OSU is like a city inside of a city. OSU has a booming campus, and it's always a good time, but you also have the entire city of Columbus around you for other things to do.

OU is a huge party school. You want some good parties, head to Athens. It is located in the Appalachian foothills, so the terrain might be different from what you are use to in Wisconsin.

Other good schools to look into that are in urban areas are University of Dayton, University of Akron, and Cleveland State University. What is your major?
Dayton's a Catholic school.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:19 PM

75 posts, read 176,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmagana View Post
Okay, well then compare your beloved unionized public schools to some private schools and lets see how the do. As someone who attended both public (with union teachers) and private schools, I can tell you two things:

1. College prep classes in public school seem like remedial classes in a Catholic school. Troy High School (Fullerton, CA) is one of the highest rated public high schools in the country... it doesn't even come close to standing up to any of the local Catholic high schools in that area.

2. I've got to admit, the best teacher I ever had was in a public school. At the same time, the most worthless and horrible teachers I've ever had were also in public schools... and there's nothing anyone can do to get rid of them because of their stupid union.

Doesn't that depend on what you want to study? I find it hard to believe that every program at Cleveland State is superior to YSU. When I was looking at it a few years back, it offered what seems like a lot and at a good price.

Your posts are so angsty. Those "stupid unions" are so terrible yada yada yada... I have attended and taught at both Public and Private schools and I can tell you the Unions have nothing to do with it. I have seen amazing teachers at both as well as awful teachers. The most important attribute for a teacher to have is that they actually care about their students. It doesn't matter if they are in a Union or not. If you care about your students you will do everything in your power to help them succeed, and they will. I am pro-union but pro-students first. We deserve the right to organize, but any teacher worth a damn will tell you that if it is between a higher paycheck or better materials for their students, a teacher should always be for the latter.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:43 PM

912 posts, read 1,733,904 times
I'm biased because I go here, but I think Ohio University has the best campus in the state. I have friends at schools across Ohio and they all love it here.

I'm in the journalism school, which regularly ranks as one of the tops in the nation. If you are interested in anything communication wise, OU is the best choice in the state. Since it's so reputable, it attracts people from across the country, so you won't feel alone. I know people in Scripps from Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and even California.

Yes, we do party more than the other Ohio schools, but there is always lots of other things to do if you aren't into the party scene. OU basically doubles the size of Athens, so the town really caters to the students.

The nearest major city is Columbus. It's a really easy drive straight up US 33 and takes about 1 hour 15 minutes. I head up there a few times a year for concerts and to get on the Megabus to Chicago.

I think the best part of OU are the people. Everyone just seems really friendly and easygoing. It's a pretty chill atmosphere and everyone really gets along.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:58 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,946,741 times
There is no doubt OU has the best campus in the state. Because it is isolated, most people stay most weekends, so there is a really thick student culture - including a lot of parties (though plenty of students who don't do the keggers still find plenty to do)

Old 06-09-2011, 01:02 PM

17 posts, read 46,118 times
Excellent question OP.

I went to Ohio University in Athens for undergrad and Ohio State in Columbus for veterinary school.

As has been previously said, OU is a party school. However, I got a wonderful education there as a pre-veterinary medicine/biology major. I chose not to party most of the time and got excellent grades. A party school it may be but it is not an easy one. All of my science classes were weed-out classes and to even move on in the series you had to do well. By the spring quarter there were far fewer students in chemistry or physics than there were the previous fall .

Even though it is a fairly large school, the profs are readily accessible for questions and I even went to some of their houses for dinner! The campus is amazing too nestled in the hills. The weather is milder than much of Ohio, certainly than Columbus or Cleveland. I HIGHLY recommend OU.

As for OSU, I only have experienced the Veterinary College (which luckily is one of the best in the world) so I can't speak to the University itself. I do know that it is extremely large and Columbus can be a rather dangerous city especially for students who for financial reasons often need to live cheaply if not in a dorm and this means a not so safe living area. OSU is a major university and has much to offer but I wouldn't choose it for undergrad if I had it to do over again.

Oh and as for the question about religion. I too am an atheist, have been since I was old enough to reject my religous upbringing. While it is much easier to be an atheist on the west coast where I live now than in the "Bible Belt" that encompasses the midwest, I managed just fine. I don't tell everyone I meet right off the bat about my views but I will never lie if asked. I think that tolerance is the name of the game. I doubt you will be the only atheist in town no matter where you move but don't expect a very secular area like San Francisco or Portland OR either (I live in Portland now but lived in SF for many years). After visiting Southern Ohio several years after moving out west, I was suprised as to the number of religious billboards and placards around. I am just not used to religion being discussed or a major part of people's lives anymore after living here.

Good luck on your decision and maybe give Athens a visit. It is beautiful this time of year.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that my husband went to the OU journalism school and it truly is one of the best in the country.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:13 AM

4 posts, read 7,603 times
Anyone have anything to say about Miami U? I took a visit there and really liked it, anybody out there go there? I'm looking into communications, so OU might be a good trip to take, but how's Miami's stack up?

Old 06-28-2011, 08:39 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,416,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeds526 View Post
Anyone have anything to say about Miami U? I took a visit there and really liked it, anybody out there go there? I'm looking into communications, so OU might be a good trip to take, but how's Miami's stack up?
Academically, Miami has a stronger reputation than OU. When OSU was still open enrollment, Miami was considered to have the best academics of any Ohio public U. It's more debatable now.

As I said upthread, there isn't a huge difference between any of the public schools in Ohio. Just go with whichever you enjoyed the most during your visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio