Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 09:57 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,563,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
Teachers' salaries in Wisconsin: $89,500 salary and benefits. The average nonpublic sector worker in America makes $61,000 a year in salary and benefits.
We can't have this kind of disparity between the people who are paying the people who are living off of them. It's not sustainable...
You're comparing apples & oranges; the cost of living in WI is higher than many other places in the U.S. you can't compare private sector wages in ALL of America with wages in one state for teachers. I make more driving a truck than a teacher in our local district that has a bachelor's degree and 5 years of experience. I believe there's something VERY wrong with that.

Last edited by Crew Chief; 02-20-2011 at 11:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
Does it really matter? Everyone, including those without college degrees that are in the workforce (enlisted military anyone?) pay those taxes that contribute to the teachers' salary and benefits.
I resemble that remark! I've got an Associate's degree and LOTS of "life experience". My years both as an enlisted man and a private sector worker have taught me that I want my government to collect enough taxes to hire only enough workers to do the job and pay them honest wages and benefts. Should pay cuts and other measures be on the table during economic down times? Of course. And that's what negotiations are for. But taking away the rights of ANY employee to organize is wrong. And just because someone is on the public payroll doesn't mean we should be able to take advantage of them. I'm always amazed at the parents (many of whom make excellent money as professionals) expect teachers to donate all kinds of free labor because "it's for the children"...

Earthbound?, teachers are professionals, not hourly labor!

Last edited by Crew Chief; 02-20-2011 at 11:32 AM..

Old 02-20-2011, 10:08 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,169,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
You're comparing apples & oranges; the cost of living in WI is higher than many other places in the U.S. you can't compare private sector wages in ALL of America with wages in one state for teachers. I make more driving a truck than a teacher our local district that has a bachelor's degree and 5 years of experience. I believe there's something VERY wrong with that.
Yep! We need more truck drivers anyway. .

Old 02-20-2011, 10:18 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,402,446 times
^ there is a severe shortage of truckers so I would expect that their pay should be moving up. I don't think there is a shortage of teachers...supply/demand.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
^ there is a severe shortage of truckers so I would expect that their pay should be moving up. I don't think there is a shortage of teachers...supply/demand.
Yep, about 50% under manned on the OTR.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:49 AM

The only "shortgae" of truck drivers are the ones willing to work for the starvation wages and miserable working conditions that many trucking companies offer. In my own situation, I'm not sure I'd benefit from union membership, but I have NO doubt that I and the rest of the the non-union truckload sector drivers have greatly benefitted from the Teamsters' efforts. I'm a Life Member of Owner Operator Independent Driver Association and firmly believe that we can bring about better pay/working conditions by lobbying as a group. Now, if we could just get enough drivers to give a darn enough to join...

Old 02-20-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
The only "shortgae" of truck drivers are the ones willing to work for the starvation wages and miserable working conditions that many trucking companies. In my own situation, I'm not sure I'd benefit from union membership, but I have NO doubt that I and the rest of the the non-union truckload sector drivers have greatly benefitted from the Teamsters' efforts. I'm a Life member of Owner Operator Independent Driver Association and firmly believe that we can bring about better pay/working conditions by lobbying as a group. Now, if we could just get enough drivers to give a darn enough to join...
As for a teacher shortage; depends. Some specialties are in greater demand than others; special ed, math, science, foreign languauges for example. And it still comes down to the fact that the best districts must be able to compete for the best teachers. And if our new governor thinks he's going to be able to strip OH teachers of any bargaining power THEN send them to teach in an urban school, he'll see a mass exodus of talent like NOBODY'S ever seen before...

Old 02-20-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davery5872 View Post
Here is something I found interesting in SB 5. Line 6044.

Sub. S. B. No. 5**As Pending in the Senate Insurance, Commerce and Labor Committee

Sec. 3101.01. (A) Male persons of the age of eighteen years, and female persons of the age of sixteen years, not nearer of kin than second cousins, and not having a husband or wife living, may be joined in marriage. A marriage may only be entered into by one man and one woman. A minor shall first obtain the consent of the minor's parents, surviving parent, parent who is designated the residential parent and legal custodian of the minor by a court of competent jurisdiction, guardian, or any one of the following who has been awarded permanent custody of the minor by a court exercising juvenile jurisdiction:

Can someone please tell me why this is in this bill? Is it just usual politician deceit?
Thanks, Davery5872!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!! And all the more reason to fight this AWFUL bill!

Old 02-20-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davery5872 View Post
Here is something I found interesting in SB 5. Line 6044.

Sub. S. B. No. 5**As Pending in the Senate Insurance, Commerce and Labor Committee

Sec. 3101.01. (A) Male persons of the age of eighteen years, and female persons of the age of sixteen years, not nearer of kin than second cousins, and not having a husband or wife living, may be joined in marriage. A marriage may only be entered into by one man and one woman. A minor shall first obtain the consent of the minor's parents, surviving parent, parent who is designated the residential parent and legal custodian of the minor by a court of competent jurisdiction, guardian, or any one of the following who has been awarded permanent custody of the minor by a court exercising juvenile jurisdiction:

Can someone please tell me why this is in this bill? Is it just usual politician deceit?
Don't they call this "Pork Belly"?

Old 02-20-2011, 01:12 PM

913 posts, read 2,365,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post

No they (the teachers) don't kill programs. But the school board does
You do realize that SB5 puts more control in the hands of the board of education, right? Teacher's unions fight for reducing class size, keeping gifted programs, keeping music and art programs, etc. Without collective bargaining, the board of education is in total control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio