Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 08:40 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,259,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Everyone that resides at or near military facilities aren't necessarily "Ex-military", "military contractors", "military families", or "military dependents" - nor, are they necessarily all white.

In all seriousness - by your logic, Kaneohe would have a lot higher white population than Kailua and it is the other way around.
No one here has made the false assumption that the U.S. military is "all white." However, the military does engage in a little "social engineering" and has the ability to place working-class folks in relatively expensive areas. As hotcatz pointed out earlier in this thread, Kailua and Kāneʻohe are pretty similar -- both areas were part of Kāne'ohe Ranch until World War II. I'm sure that you're aware of Harold K. L. Castle (1886-1967) and how instrumental he was in the development of today's Windward Oʻahu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 08:45 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
I'm actually about to see Spider-Man 2 at Windward Mall - and I can state very factually, Kaneohe and Kailua are vastly different from one another. Not even close. You might as well say Pearl City is like Ala Moana.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:17 PM

451 posts, read 412,098 times
Quote:
........... and I can state very factually, Kaneohe and Kailua are vastly different from one another. Not even close......................

IMHO, Kaneohe has a 'suburban' feel to it and Kailua seems more like an in-city
neighborhood.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I'm actually about to see Spider-Man 2 at Windward Mall - and I can state very factually, Kaneohe and Kailua are vastly different from one another. Not even close. You might as well say Pearl City is like Ala Moana.
It's interesting that someone who believes the cultures of Honolulu and San Francisco are mostly the same considers Kailua and Kāneʻohe to have "vast" historical differences.

Quote:
Ever been to New Orleans? New York City? San Francisco? Los Angeles? Nashville? Las Vegas? Honolulu? Lahaina? My position is they share United States/Western Culture with minor nuances - everyday life is mostly the same in Hawaii than the mainland. Just as everyday life in New Orleans is mostly the same as Las Vegas.

Everyday life in Hawaii isn't terribly different than everyday life of anywhere else I've been on the mainland - I've lived in Chicago and San Francisco - done extended work in NYC, Orlando, LA, Little Rock, Des Moines, Seattle, Dallas, New Orleans, Cleveland, Atlanta, Denver, and the list goes on - and with minor differences here and there, mostly the same.

It is some odd romanticized thought of Hawaii to feel otherwise.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:46 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeLord417 View Post
I plan to move to the windward side in Feb.'23 and recently stumbled across something I hope someone has an explanation for. That is, according to 2000 census data cited by Wiki, the White population of Kailua is 44% and Asian 21%. In neighboring Kaneohe, the % are reversed with White at 35.5% and Asian 20.5%. Since I've lived almost half my life in Japan (& about as white as they get), either is OK, but am curious why the % flip-flop. Income? Commute? Community? what?
IMHO you are asking the wrong questions because you are making assumptions based upon Census data that doesn't take into consideration the uniqueness of Hawaii. Remember, the census is "self-report." That is, people decide on the day they take it (not necessarily on any other day) that they will check this box or that box on the Census form. Don't be fooled by the titles - "white alone" etc... it's waaay too much work for people to think about how they answer these stupid government questionnaires, esp when the surf is calling!

Besides -- Hawaii Asian is extremely different from Japan Asian or California Asian or Washington DC Asian. A good number of the people of Hawaii are mixed race. One of my best friends is blonde, slim and athletic. She's more than 50% Hawaiian. She has Chinese mixed in there as well as Haole. She probably marks the annoying box "Pacific Islander" on a Census form. But she could just as easily mark Asian or Caucasian or Mixed.

The way the Census for Hawaii is interpreted depends upon the particular bias of the people doing the interpretation. For instance, when certain people try to show that there are more Hawaiians in prison in Hawaii, they will pull from all the Hawaiian-Chinese-Haole-Spanish mixes and so forth. If they want to show there are too many Hispanics in Jail in Hawaii per capita, that same person above will be counted as Hispanic.

More than 50% of all new marriages are multi-racial in Hawaii. That's MULTI - not INTER-racial. Thus, my granddaughter is a combination of more than 11 races/ethnicities. It's like that in Hawaii.

Sooooo
You cannot tell a dang thing about an area just based upon some Government statistical data. The Chinese who descended from people who moved to Hawaii in the 1800's are vastly different from the Chinese person who emigrated from Hong Kong to Hawaii a couple of years ago. Same goes for the Japan Japanese, the Korea Koreans, the Okinawa Okinawans. Yet all these are lumped into the "Asian" box. And you know as well as I do that each of those countries has their own unique culture.

Plus - Hawaii may have one or more neighborhoods that are majority one ethnicity or ethnic mix, but that doesn't necessarily mean you can make assumptions based upon the census data.

As we have told everyone on this entire Forum in every city and state -- don't rent or buy until you have arrived, stayed in hotels in different areas, driven around the island and the neighborhoods and have gotten a feel for the places you are considering. Go holoholo (drive around and visit) during the day, at night and on the weekends. You'll know.

Make your checklist - I need these things, These things would be nice to have, I really want to avoid these things, I'm ok one way or another with these things. If you are clear on your priorities, you'll figure it out. Then report back - we always want to hear how things went!

Old 05-03-2014, 01:49 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
It's interesting that someone who believes the cultures of Honolulu and San Francisco are mostly the same considers Kailua and Kāneʻohe to have "vast" historical differences.
I said "vast" historical differences where?

Anyway, my point was a drive around Kaneohe and Kailua yields a night and day experience. The look and feel isn't similar at all. Whether it was divvied up in the old days by the same people really isn't my concern - I like to live in the present.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:20 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,572,705 times
Quote:

Anyway, my point was a drive around Kaneohe and Kailua yields a night and day experience. The look and feel isn't similar at all.
I've driven around Kailua at night, and Kaneohe in the daytime, and couldn't agree with you more.

Uuurrrpppp.............

Old 05-03-2014, 05:17 PM

OP, if you having been living long in Japan, at some point you will likely be in need of
Japanese food.. Only my opinion, but the Windward side is devoid of any supermarkets
that cater to specifically to Japanese goods. The best markets for variety and price in
Japanese products (again, only my opinion) is Marukai and Don Quijiote and these are
located in central Honolulu with branches further west.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:03 PM

BTW, OP did you indicate you PLAN to move to the Windward side in February of 2023.........?

Old 05-03-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:

Anyway, my point was a drive around Kaneohe and Kailua yields a night and day experience. The look and feel isn't similar at all. Whether it was divvied up in the old days by the same people really isn't my concern - I like to live in the present.
To me, the majority of Kailua and Kāneʻohe look like areas that were planned by folks from the continental U.S. post-WWII and plopped down in the middle of the Pacific.

Here's a random street view in Kailua…
https://www.google.com/maps/@21.3987...YIVxPSTd5Q!2e0

Here's a random street view in Kāneʻohe…
https://www.google.com/maps/@21.3995...ZoP0dJ09DA!2e0

If the views weren't labelled, most folks would probably have difficulty distinguishing one area from the other. For the "unenlightened masses," what are the significant differences between Kailua and Kāneʻohe (other than the fact that you happen to reside in one of those areas)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu