Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 11:46 AM

3 posts, read 7,565 times

Advertisements

I am a 21 year old female moving to the DC or northern VA area for work. My work is located right near the Rosslyn metro stop. I don't have a car so I will need to rely heavily on public transport for work, play, and everyday routines. I would hope a shopping complex (for food, beauty aid, clothes, etc) would be close by and walkable. For convenience, I want to live as close as possible to a metro stop on the blue or orange line (or maybe even the red line because it would be an easy transfer) to make for an easy work commute. I am torn as to whether I want to live in an apartment or in a house. I am willing to live with roommates and would probably prefer this because it would make it easier and faster to meet young people in a new city. As I am young, I obviously want to live somewhere that has some life, a city/town that doesn't die at 5pm when everyone gets off at work. Yet, I would want my neighborhood to be safe and have low crime rates, as I am a single young female, potentially living alone. And to top it off, I am on a fairly tight budget. I really can't spend more than $1000 per month on rent (including utilities?). I know these are a lot of preferences/restrictions, but hey, at least I know what I want.

In my research so far, I have learned that the Metro’s blue line (Pentagon City, Crystal City, Alexandria) is a bit more affordable than the orange line (Ballston, Virginia Square, Courthouse, Clarendon). However, the stops along the blue line are livelier, with younger people living there and many more cafe/bar options.

Would you recommend living in northern Virginia or DC? And where specifically based on all my preferences?

Any advice would be much much appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 12:45 PM

10 posts, read 43,577 times
For a young person, I think your on the right track in terms of your thoughts. DC for the most part dies down when everybody goes home (except for Georgetown and MAYBE some parts of NW, however Georgetown has no subway so its i pain in the neck if you need to rely on tranist) As for the other parts of DC, I guess Dupont Circle, Friendship Heights, Columbia Heights are cool. However, Columbia Height is on the Green and yellow line. It also isn't the worset nieghborhood, but it certainly isn't the best. Dupont Circle is on the Red line and I think its kinda pricey, but don't quote me on that. I know Friendship Heights is expensive.

Another "cool" place to live in Maryland. However, there are some problems; Bethesda and Chevy chase are neat but are also VERY expensive. Rockville is okay but its more of a family area. I'm sure you'd like Silver Spring, its affordable and theres a lot to do. However, its about a 30-45 minute train ride to Rossyln.

As for north Arlington (orange Line) it is VERY expensive, too. However, not to say the South part of Arlington is bad, but the North part is consdered nicer. Crystal City and Alexandria should be the cheapest (because the schools aren't that great there, etc. but this doesn't apply to you) so I would go there. The waterfront in Alexandria is very nice by the way.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:05 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,671,485 times
A grand a month isn't going to get you anywhere near a Metro station anywhere around here. And at that price point, you'll likely be the only native english speaker around there.

I'd suggest looking at Craigslist for rooms to rent in single family homes in nice neighborhoods near Metro....otherwise you're looking at roomies.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:33 PM

91 posts, read 228,920 times
I would look into the Clarendon/Ballston area, but you are going to need roomies

Old 06-06-2009, 05:11 PM

931 posts, read 3,802,347 times
You need to up your budget to $1300-1500 a month for rent (1bd apartment) if you want to live somewhere decent. I suggest Arlington.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:35 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,160,220 times
I agree with your idea to seek out roommates. Not only will you save on rent but you may have "instant" friends to go out and explore the area. $1000 should definitely cover your share of rent in the Clarendon/Ballston (Orange Line) area which will be convenient for work and play. Since you're already open to roommates, living in Pentagon City/Crystal City/Alexandria would be more inconvenient although still relatively close.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:36 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,713,391 times
Your easiest and cheapest bet is to look for a room to rent in North Arlington (Clarendon, Ballston, Courthouse, Rosslyn). You'll be close to work and can easily get into DC for nightlife if you'd like (DC only dies at 7pm if you hang out by the office buildings; check out Georgetown, Dupont Circle, Logan Circle, U Street, Adams Morgan, Capitol Hill, H Street, or Chinatown/Gallery Place). North Arlington also has its own strips of bars/restaurants you can go to, too. Pentagon City and Crystal City are also nice, and wouldn't be too far, but will be a bit quieter.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:01 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,241,080 times
I'm going to say Clarendon. It's kinda expensive but you should be able to find something decent in a nice group house in that price range. I absolutely love Clarendon and would love to be able to afford to live there one day. There's lots of bars and restaurants plenty of shopping and has a great urban atmosphere. It's only like one or two metro stops from Rosslyn and it's one of the few places in Virginia one can live comfortably without a car. Good luck!

Old 06-08-2009, 07:15 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
For a grand, the only place even possible near the blue line (by yourself) is Landmark (Van Dorn Metro) and you will defintely need a car here. I agree with the others that Ballston, Clarendon with a roomate is your best option.

BTW, car54 comment about being the only english speaker is almost fully accurate.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:01 AM

80 posts, read 320,682 times
You either need to get a car and move futher out for 1k a month or live metro walkable and pay at least 1300 a month. You could live along the red line at maybe grovsnor strathmore. THere's a lot of apartments there. Some people rent houses then sublet rooms. You'll see these advertisements on craigslist. Other people have finished basements and rent them out as basement apartments. You'll see those on craigslist also (these usually have a small kitchen area in the basement for your personal use along with a private entrance). Sorry about the sticker shock but we all had it when we moved here. You get used to these prices but you never really like them. It sucks that things cost so much here but it's the way things are. By the way, if you see something that's metro walkable and it's cheap, then it's in a high crime area, of that you can be almost certain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia