Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 07:48 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,727,010 times

Advertisements

If you want really good Southern Cooking, try Nate's (or possibly Ben's) Comfort Zone off Rt. 1 S before Backlick Rd and the Fairfax Cty Pkwy. Some of the most Southern tasting-food i've had since i've moved here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 12:54 PM

281 posts, read 1,008,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboy_911 View Post
Granite and marble countertops are expensive. But Stone USA which works in Northern Virginia installed my kitchen in a day for $35 per sq. ft.
Can anyone give me the details for this company? Google searches aren't bringing anything up.

Thanks much!

Old 03-09-2009, 07:37 PM

48 posts, read 187,364 times
Amphora Diner (Elden St., Herndon) - great breakfasts. Makes me much less homesick for the Jersey diners I grew up with.

Uptown Pizza (Elden St., Herndon) - Margarita pizza is fantastic. Very friendly, too.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:40 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TullyApplebottom View Post
Amphora Diner (Elden St., Herndon) - great breakfasts. Makes me much less homesick for the Jersey diners I grew up with.

Uptown Pizza (Elden St., Herndon) - Margarita pizza is fantastic. Very friendly, too.
Since I'll be working just down Elden Street from these two businesses, it's wonderful to hear some positive feedback about places I could recommend for my co-workers and I to scope out for an occasional lunch. Thank you! Any other good recommendations for businesses in the Herndon area? Any good mechanics that could tackle a 10-year-old Ford sedan that is abused by its owner? LOL! Any good dentists? General practitioners (physicians?) Any good mom-and-pop drug stores left (would prefer to give them the business before Walgreen's, Rite-Aid, or CVS). I have a feeling that Amphora Diner may just be my new best friend; I LOVE diners!!!

Old 03-12-2009, 04:55 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
Tortilla Factory (also off Elden) - Mexican food (and the BEST IMO house-made salsa and chips, which you can also buy) - I wish it was closer to me, I eat that salsa and chips for breakfast.

I don't know if there are any mom-and-pop drug stores left around here. I like my dentist but he's in Alexandria. I lived in Reston many yrs. ago and used to go to some fun places in Herndon, alas, many/most are gone

Old 03-13-2009, 08:52 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,941,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Since I'll be working just down Elden Street from these two businesses, it's wonderful to hear some positive feedback about places I could recommend for my co-workers and I to scope out for an occasional lunch. Thank you! Any other good recommendations for businesses in the Herndon area? Any good mechanics that could tackle a 10-year-old Ford sedan that is abused by its owner? LOL! Any good dentists? General practitioners (physicians?) Any good mom-and-pop drug stores left (would prefer to give them the business before Walgreen's, Rite-Aid, or CVS). I have a feeling that Amphora Diner may just be my new best friend; I LOVE diners!!!
The funny thing about that stretch of Elden Road is how many great restaurants are tucked away in there. These are small hole in the wall places, but they have fantastic food. You'd never guess because the street is ugly and rather uninspiring.

Also, in the same area is a fantastic used furniture store. It's hard to find, look behind a small industrial warehouse complex on Carlisle Road. It's office furniture, but you can get side chairs, tables, book shelves, even couches there for a song. No to mention practical things like wastebaskets. If you're new to the area and on a budget I highly recommend it.

Robert Hulbert is a very good dentist. His office is in Cascades, near the library. There are probably good dentists in Herndon, as well, but I went through a few dentists before settling on Bob and think he's worth driving 5 miles. He does excellent work and is reasonably priced.

There is a great mom & pop pharmacy/lakeside cafe at Lake Anne. Other than this, most of the pharmacies are chain stores. http://dc.metromix.com/restaurants/n...448974/content

Last edited by normie; 03-13-2009 at 09:04 AM..

Old 03-13-2009, 09:13 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,941,346 times
Scranbarre, Herndon has a small downtown area that you might enjoy exploring. Lots of old historic buildings, and interesting restaurants. The Ice House is a fun place to meet other singles (or it used to be, I haven't been there for years so someone else might know better). They have live music there.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:11 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
Normie - nice to read that the drugstore is still at Lake Anne (I used to live in Northgate Square, Southgate Square, Bentana Woods and Vantage Square) so I used to go there a lot - do they still have a little P.O. in there?

Old 03-14-2009, 08:26 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
- do they still have a little P.O. in there?
LMAO! I was still groggy, and I thought you said "B.O." at first!

Old 03-14-2009, 04:43 PM

48 posts, read 187,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post

I take our car to:
Elden Street Service & Tire Center
602 Elden Street
Herndon, VA 20170
703-437-1254

Keep in mind, I judge a repair shop by times I have taken my car in not knowing what the heck was wrong with it (i.e., ample opportunity to rip me off) and had a very minor repair. The first incidence was a clunking coming from one of the tires which turned out to be a bit of tar stuck in there. I can't recall if they even charged me for that. The other time was when I took the car in for brake work after calling for a quote. The Honda dealership had told me after an oil change that both sets of brakes were almost completely worn down. Since the Honda quote was expensive (What's that you say? An expensive repair at a dealership? Unheard of!), I called the Herdon place. Got a quote about $300 cheaper, took the car in, told them why I was bringing the car in. They called a few hours later with what needed to be done and the cost. Turned out I only needed one set done; the other set was perfectly fine. Been taking cars there for 4 years now. The brake situation was late last year, so the honesty is pretty recent.

I see a GP in Reston, but have only been once now. Though I like her and the office so far, I hesitate to recommend based on one physical exam.

I can also recommend Jimmy's Old Town Tavern, Great Harvest Bread (both in "old Herndon"). Also, Amphora Diner also has a bakery/cafe close by (not sure if it's technically Herndon or Reston though). But it's a good alternative to Starbucks. And quieter, usually. Anita's New Mexican (or something like that; definitely Anita's) on Eldon is good. Great breakfast burritos.

Not sure if I'm allowed to link this, but I've found http://www.herndoncuisine.com to be an excellent restaurant resource. (And it will give you an idea of just how many restaurants are here!) I'm not in any way affiliated with the site.

Finally, welcome to Herndon!

Last edited by TullyApplebottom; 03-14-2009 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: to be more coherent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia