Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 10:09 PM

5 posts, read 11,161 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate from Seattle to NOVA. From online research, we were thinking somewhere along the Leesburg Pike, anywhere from Tysons to Leesburg, but after actually checking out in person I'm not loving it. It is so dense, so much sprawl, and when I got a bit further out - Ashburn - it just seemed so cookie-cutter. Are there any other good places? It seems like every town I look up here that is not Fairfax/Loudon just gets really bad reviews!

I'd like a place where
1. Good schools (elementary)
2. We have access to some chain stores/restaurants, but I'd also like access to smaller, local stores/restaurants.
3. A neighborhood setting, but not so cookie-cutter.
4. Something with charm and character.

Husband runs our business and will on occassion have to go to mclean to meet with his business partner, but won't have to commute regularly.

We were focused on nova, but are open to widening our search.

Any ideas? Are other towns/counties really so bad?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 10:20 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,955,577 times
Have you tried the towns of Vienna, Fairfax, or Falls Church? They have more character, with lots of restaurants, etc. Vienna has really good schools, and metro. Nice town with lots of activities for children.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:22 PM

55 posts, read 141,952 times
Have you tried looking in Alexandria or Arlington?

Old 08-15-2008, 11:41 PM

67 posts, read 247,248 times
Definitely try Falls Church (the incorporated city, not the larger mailing address). It'll be pricier than surrounding areas, but the community is great and the schools are fabulous.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:51 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,893,740 times
second Vienna and Falls Church.
Then I'd look in Leesburg, some newer cookie cutter neighborhoods but alot of nice older ones with big lots etc...
Also a bit (7miles more) is Purceville and also Hamilton a great little hamlet.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:06 PM

822 posts, read 3,004,585 times
I love Fairfax Station and Clifton.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:23 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,740,831 times
Vienna sounds like something you might like.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:38 AM

22 posts, read 85,034 times
Have you taken a look at Reston? The Town Center area has some great restaurants and shops, with free concerts on Saturday nights during the summer and an ice skating rink during the winter.

It's only about 10-15 minutes from Tysons too, depending on the specific spot you want to get to.

Good luck!

Chuck Miro

Old 08-19-2008, 06:26 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,814,354 times
I lived in Reston way back when and even then it was more than 15 mins. to Tyson's - let alone McLean!

I agree w/the posters that suggested Falls Church, Arlington, Alexandria and I would suggest Annandale.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:50 AM

22 posts, read 85,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I lived in Reston way back when and even then it was more than 15 mins. to Tyson's - let alone McLean!
From Wiehle Avenue to Spring Hill Road is exactly 10 minutes (it's only two exits' distance), unless there's a traffic jam caused by an accident or something else. Spring Hill Road will take you right into southeastern section of Tysons where there's a lot of office buildings.

Now, if you're talking Reston along Baron Cameron, and then into the McLean side of Tysons, that will admittedly take you longer. Both Reston and Tysons are big areas, and if you live and work on opposite sides of each and far away from the Toll Road, it will take longer. But not much. I can get from Wiehle Avenue to the far side of McLean near Arlington in 25 minutes -- and I do the drive at least once a week, and often in rush hour.

If you live in Reston and work in Tysons (and both locations near the Toll Road), it's a relatively quick drive to get from one place to the other.

Chuck Miro
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia