Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 10:13 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,033,846 times

Advertisements

Thinking of taking a trip to Old Town Alexandria, maybe going into DC for the day.

What is the best area to stay in Old Town? Should we stay nearer to the King St/Old Town Metro (like the Hyatt Centric hotel) or further down (like The Morrison hotel) or closer to the water (like The Indigo hotel)?

We'd like to have close access to the Trolley and also mid-range restaurants and shops that are easily walkable?

It's hard to get a sense of how close everything is and where the best concentration of restaurants are.

Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2024, 02:12 PM

22,538 posts, read 12,108,365 times
If you plan to use Metrorail while there, then staying close to the King Street Station would be a good choice. Otherwise, staying further down King Street and using the Trolley to get around works well. We've stayed in the Alexandrian Hotel when we've done staycations. Like the Morrison, it's part of the Marriott Autograph Collection. IOW, an old hotel. However, it is connected to a restaurant where you can get breakfast. The Morrison also is connected to one.

Old 05-14-2024, 07:32 PM

8,993 posts, read 21,223,368 times
My personal favorite is Hotel Indigo, especially if you can upgrade to the waterfront views of the Potomac. However, if you intend to spend a lot of time in DC proper, choosing one of the hotels closer to the King Street Station Metro may save some time.

Besides the trolley, you can also take the 30 and 31 DASH buses to and from the King St. Metro for free as the city has eliminated fares for the foreseeable future.

It's a little more than a mile between the waterfront and King Street Station. If you are reasonably mobile, you are never really far from anything along that route. Restaurants along King Street are a bit more concentrated east of Washington. Even in arguably the most pricey section between the waterfront and Fairfax, there are decent values at places like Bugsy's Pizza, Mai Thai and - just south of King, Virtue Feed and Grain.

Old 05-21-2024, 07:01 AM

40 posts, read 28,341 times
I personally would stay as close to the water as possible, but that's just me.

I don't personally consider the Hyatt Centric area to be part of Old Town, even if Alexandria slaps the "Old Town" label on everything there.

To me it seems more like "South Del Rey"

Old 05-21-2024, 08:26 AM

12,005 posts, read 6,285,396 times
I also stayed at Hotel Indigo. Super location and not a horrible rate. Valet parking was steep at $45 per night. The convenience is terrific to be just steps from everything. It is nice to walk out of the hotel and right into the thick of the fun.

I probably won't stay by the water the next time, for comparison. I will try to get a cheaper room at the end of the trolley line, and use the trolley each day, especially because the breakfast places I like are there.

The best breakfast place in Old Town is "Table Talk" restaurant,

You can stay at one of the nearby hotels like Embassy Suites Hilton, get breakfast, trolley in. But yes, you are not going to be able to walk out your door and be at sunset happy hour in minutes.

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 05-21-2024 at 08:36 AM..

Old 05-21-2024, 01:13 PM

6,588 posts, read 8,459,051 times
I would stay at the Hilton by the King Street Metro.

Walking distance to the metro & restaurants and on the trolley route. It's 1 mile from the waterfront so depending on your mobility, that could be walkable as well.

https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/dca...Vic2l0ZQ%3D%3D

Old 05-23-2024, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
My personal favorite is Hotel Indigo, especially if you can upgrade to the waterfront views of the Potomac. However, if you intend to spend a lot of time in DC proper, choosing one of the hotels closer to the King Street Station Metro may save some time.

Besides the trolley, you can also take the 30 and 31 DASH buses to and from the King St. Metro for free as the city has eliminated fares for the foreseeable future.

It's a little more than a mile between the waterfront and King Street Station. If you are reasonably mobile, you are never really far from anything along that route. Restaurants along King Street are a bit more concentrated east of Washington. Even in arguably the most pricey section between the waterfront and Fairfax, there are decent values at places like Bugsy's Pizza, Mai Thai and - just south of King, Virtue Feed and Grain.
Thank you. I'll take a look at Hotel Indigo. What are the North and South borders of old town?

We don't plan to spend a lot of time in DC, thought maybe we'd just go in once for the day while we are there.

Old 05-23-2024, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I also stayed at Hotel Indigo. Super location and not a horrible rate. Valet parking was steep at $45 per night. The convenience is terrific to be just steps from everything. It is nice to walk out of the hotel and right into the thick of the fun.

I probably won't stay by the water the next time, for comparison. I will try to get a cheaper room at the end of the trolley line, and use the trolley each day, especially because the breakfast places I like are there.

The best breakfast place in Old Town is "Table Talk" restaurant,

You can stay at one of the nearby hotels like Embassy Suites Hilton, get breakfast, trolley in. But yes, you are not going to be able to walk out your door and be at sunset happy hour in minutes.
Thank you. We may take a look at Hotel Indigo then, at least for our first time there. So are you saying that the best breakfast places are not near to Hotel Indigo, they are at the other end of the trolley line?

How often does the trolley run - i.e., is it available early AM and later in the evening?

Old 05-23-2024, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
If you plan to use Metrorail while there, then staying close to the King Street Station would be a good choice. Otherwise, staying further down King Street and using the Trolley to get around works well. We've stayed in the Alexandrian Hotel when we've done staycations. Like the Morrison, it's part of the Marriott Autograph Collection. IOW, an old hotel. However, it is connected to a restaurant where you can get breakfast. The Morrison also is connected to one.
Thank you. Are all Autograph Collection hotels older? I think we would use the metro rail but only for one day going into DC.

Old 05-23-2024, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy1234 View Post
I personally would stay as close to the water as possible, but that's just me.

I don't personally consider the Hyatt Centric area to be part of Old Town, even if Alexandria slaps the "Old Town" label on everything there.

To me it seems more like "South Del Rey"
Thank you, that's good to know. What are the borders (streets) of the core of Old Town?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia