Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 04:02 PM

2,146 posts, read 3,062,186 times

Advertisements

I'd put money on cancellation tomorrow. The worst is supposed to fall late morning/early afternoon. They can't have the buses and walkers and teenaged drivers out in it. And I predict closed on Wednesday as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 04:22 PM

529 posts, read 750,955 times
I am going to telework. I am sure it's going to be a nightmare tomorrow.

I lived in Chicago for several years, never heard of school closings, business closings like here.

As long as bad drivers are away from roads, then it's good for others.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:33 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,785,329 times
Just have to say thanks for this thread. I got back from a Pennsylvania today and had not been paying attention to the local weather forecast at all. Thanks to this thread, I was able to get myself to the office and get my laptop so I can telework tomorrow. Sounds like the potential for a real storm tomorrow - or, at least as such things are defined in this area . Given the forecast, I won't be surprised if schools and the federal government close, but I guess we'll see. In the least, I can't imagine the federal government won't allow for unscheduled telework/leave.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:54 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
Just have to say thanks for this thread. I got back from a Pennsylvania today and had not been paying attention to the local weather forecast at all. Thanks to this thread, I was able to get myself to the office and get my laptop so I can telework tomorrow. Sounds like the potential for a real storm tomorrow - or, at least as such things are defined in this area . Given the forecast, I won't be surprised if schools and the federal government close, but I guess we'll see. In the least, I can't imagine the federal government won't allow for unscheduled telework/leave.

I think you can bet on that. I do have a hard time thinking they will make a preemptive close at 4AM tomorrow without anything out there, even though they know what's coming. I do think they will close early though. I've gone to work when that has happened. It also gets them off the hook for shutting down another day and all the criticisms that seem to go with it.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:00 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
I'd put money on cancellation tomorrow. The worst is supposed to fall late morning/early afternoon. They can't have the buses and walkers and teenaged drivers out in it. And I predict closed on Wednesday as well.
I predict the same.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:03 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
Some local news affiliate needs to do a piece on the actual people at OPM or wherever who make the decision as to what the Federal Government does. Does the president of MWCOG wake up and check the news, then conference call with the head of OPM and perhaps others to come to an agreement?

Old 01-20-2014, 05:07 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Some local news affiliate needs to do a piece on the actual people at OPM or wherever who make the decision as to what the Federal Government does. Does the president of MWCOG wake up and check the news, then conference call with the head of OPM and perhaps others to come to an agreement?

I actually have heard that there is a group of sorts (head of OPM, head of this, head of that, the weather service, someone at Metro) and they do a conference call and reach a decision at 4AM based on the conditions at the time (what are Metro's plans, what are statuses/access to federal buildings). For a day like tomorrow, they are probably going to still do that and decide if they need to preemptively close. If they don't, I think they have those conference calls at several points during the day and then come to a consensus.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:31 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,983 times
We made a dad and his kids real happy today. They spotted our listing on Craigslist selling DH 50 year old toboggan and came and got it right away. From here they were headed to Lowes to get the wax needed. He said he already had a hill in mind and they all left with smiles on their faces. That's the type of snow stories I like!

Old 01-20-2014, 07:57 PM

231 posts, read 575,731 times
I'm really hoping we close tomorrow. I live in Leesburg and work in Reston. I work at a private school (I bring my kids there as well) and it would be nice to not have to drive home on the 7 with my 2 kids stuck in the crazy traffic and snow. We follow Fairfax County on the school closings. I do get off work at 3pm usually when school is out and it takes me about 40 minutes to get home, but I have no idea how long it will take in bad weather (we just moved here 2 weeks ago from Chantilly). So, I'm really hoping they announce a snow day and let us all know tonight so I'm not up getting ready at 5am and then find out that I don't have to go in. PW County already announced it.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:15 PM

77 posts, read 294,152 times
I do not understand why people freak out over this down here! I grew up in Upstate New York (near Buffalo & Rochester). That would be nothing up there, just another winter snowfall. I'm really astounded that the night before schools down here close without even seeing what may or may not come, especially since this storm isn't predicted to really come down until after 3pm, after school is out. In general this pseudo-panic that erupts in this area over any accumulation is ridiculous. Just don't drive, don't go out in it and leave the driving to those who can handle the weather. In New York we drive the speed limit or over in weather like what is predicted! And I still do, so it really frustrates me when I get behind people crawling needlessly on the roads. The number one thing to remember is don't be afraid of the weather or it will get the best of you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia