Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 07:36 AM

301 posts, read 691,201 times

Advertisements

Arlington County not allowing 66 to be widened. Falls Church water controlling my water and charging me much more than FFX County would even though I live in Fairfax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 07:37 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I just hate that we can't go anyplace without a million other people wanting to be there at the same time. It's not the traffic, it's the crowds everywhere that make everything less fun. I dread the day when my child will be in school and we won't be able to take advantage of the quiet times before school gets out.

I know exactly what you mean. In our 20+ years in the DC area, we were so strategic about shopping and excursions -- we figured out when everyone else wanted to do something, and then went at another time. Plus getting to museums, the zoo, the pool, the mall WHEN IT OPENED was key. Nothing was ever casual or spontaneous. We've been living in Indiana for more than four years, and have finally realized that we can decide at the last minute to go up to Lake Michigan without worrying about traffic or space in the parking lot. There is always a parking spot at the mall. Meijers is open 24 hours and sells everything. Panera never runs out of tables.

It is very hard to adjust.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:46 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,150,565 times
I would agree that traffic is #1. I grew up in Fairfax and have spent most of my adult life there, with a brief hiatus in Long Beach, CA, before moving to Roanoke, VA in July 2011. Northern Virginia traffic tends to be soul-sucking, and in the year or so before I moved, there was ongoing road work on pretty much every major road, and some of the minor ones. I am back every 6-8 weeks for a couple of days, but since it's typically on a weekend, I can't tell how much it's improved. When I had a job offer back in DC last October and was weighing the pros and cons, I (partially) crowdsourced the decision about returning to the area on Facebook. Friends up there pretty much unanimously opined (without prompting) that traffic is still a nightmare. Ultimately I made the decision to stay put in beautiful Roanoke -- and yes, I make far less money here than I did up there. It's a tradeoff I went into with my eyes wide open and haven't regretted (yet).

I would say that overall attitudes, strong emphasis on job/career, and the perceived pressure to keep up with the Joneses are other negatives about the area -- perhaps not unique to Nova, but prevalent there.

There are many things I miss about Fairfax and Northern Virginia, too. I don't know that I'll ever return, but haven't ruled it out entirely. I still think of it as "home," but lately, that has started to fade a little. Meanwhile, regular visits to get my hair done, shop, and see friends allow me to have the best of both worlds.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:15 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
People that require a faux marble and vinyl-sided palace in Loudoun wanting Arlington residents to lose their homes so I-66 can be widened.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:19 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,784,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
growing up, i remember how nice this area was. now its simply clogged with traffic. im amazed how friends in PA and in san diego complain about traffic. when i went there and saw their issues, i simply laughed and told them that was nothing.
I beg to differ. I have lived in both San Diego and the Philadelphia area. Ever experienced the I-5/I-805 merge on a Friday afternoon or the I-15N afternoon commute in San Diego? Tried to go to La Jolla Shores or Mission Beach on a nice Saturday or Sunday only to find zero parking and traffic jams galore? How about the Schuylkill Expressway or the Route 422 corridor in Philadelphia? Or the King of Prussia mall, the Philadelphia Zoo, or Fairmount Park on a warm and sunny Saturday or Sunday? Neither Philadelphia nor San Diego are a picnic when it comes to traffic, unless you think of picnics as being stuck in traffic long enough to actually have a picnic in your car.

I know the DC Metro area always places high (or even at the top) of worst traffic areas, and it may indeed, on average, be worse than places like San Diego or Philadelphia, but if you think traffic in those cities is far better than here, I think you simply haven't experienced living in those cities for any length of time.

Which gets me to one thing that has bugged me about NoVA so far (or at least many people on this forum) - the people who seem to think that things like traffic, congestion, crowds, and high cost of living are so incredibly unique to this area. They are unique to large, metro areas, not NoVA. If you want to successfully and sanely navigate any large, metro area, you learn how to deal with these things.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:23 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,132 times
I'm familiar with San Diego traffic as my family lives there and while it is bad it is not on the same level as NoVA

Old 03-12-2013, 08:44 AM

79 posts, read 137,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
I think NOVA has a lot of pros and cons just like every other place. I don't prefer it here, but I don't absolutely hate it. I think if I didn't have a crummy commute every day....it would make a difference. So, my gripe is too many people doing everything else in their cars except focusing on driving. It drives me bonkers! Stoplights and slow traffic is taken as an opportunity to text or do whatever it is people are doing on their phones in their cars. Traffic will always be congested because of lack of planning....but people could help a little with actually driving instead of looking at their phones.
It can be frustrating when you are waiting in line for the left turn arrow and the car in front waits until he finished sending his text message before proceeding through the arrow just as it turns amber screwing everyone else behind him.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:49 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjay75 View Post
I beg to differ. I have lived in both San Diego and the Philadelphia area. Ever experienced the I-5/I-805 merge on a Friday afternoon or the I-15N afternoon commute in San Diego? Tried to go to La Jolla Shores or Mission Beach on a nice Saturday or Sunday only to find zero parking and traffic jams galore? How about the Schuylkill Expressway or the Route 422 corridor in Philadelphia? Or the King of Prussia mall, the Philadelphia Zoo, or Fairmount Park on a warm and sunny Saturday or Sunday? Neither Philadelphia nor San Diego are a picnic when it comes to traffic, unless you think of picnics as being stuck in traffic long enough to actually have a picnic in your car.

I know the DC Metro area always places high (or even at the top) of worst traffic areas, and it may indeed, on average, be worse than places like San Diego or Philadelphia, but if you think traffic in those cities is far better than here, I think you simply haven't experienced living in those cities for any length of time.
I think what makes DC's traffic a worse beast is the length of the rush hour and the weekend traffic issues. In my previous residence of Louisville, I-65, I-64, and I-71 had your standard 4-6pm rush hour traffic but outside of those times was cake. I-66 is always backed up somewhere even weekends. I-95 is a nightmare on Saturdays.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:56 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,724,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I just hate that we can't go anyplace without a million other people wanting to be there at the same time. It's not the traffic, it's the crowds everywhere that make everything less fun. I dread the day when my child will be in school and we won't be able to take advantage of the quiet times before school gets out.
This is my number # complaint! Wanna go antiquing or something, join the crowd. Everything is so crowded, from small little local parades to big events. Planning on a movie, get there really early, not only for parking but a seat. Head to a winery..you and 500 other people. Everything takes so much planning.

See other posts regarding going to the malls in the area - it isn't a "quick" trip - it is an ordeal.

I too am from a small southern town, and truly enjoy all the area has to offer - but don't venture out as much I would like to.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:08 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
If you've never been to Southern California you don't know what crowds are. I go out on the Potomac sometimes on a beautiful day and don't see another soul up or down the river. No way you'd experience that in SoCal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia