Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fill in the blank: I’ve seen more _________ yard signs in my NoVa neighborhood.
Obama 18 35.29%
Romney 33 64.71%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 08:24 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,327,955 times

Advertisements

Romney, I live near mclean and great falls. Those fellas in the 4 million dollar homes sure do wanna make sure obama doesnt get elected again... I wonder why... hmmmmm. Dont worry as I drove by they trickled down some wealth to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 08:57 PM

560 posts, read 1,295,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
We don't really do signs in my neighborhood. I've seen a few signs that someone is have landscaping done, but usually people pull those out the moment the work is done. A month ago we saw real estate signs, but the houses seem to have all sold. The general attitude about real estate signs seems to be those signs just start arguments and make the neighborhood look trashy--so who needs it?
I’ll leave a home improvement sign up if they did a good job (have only had one sign so far). The company came and picked it up after a couple weeks (or someone did).

Old 08-21-2012, 09:05 PM

560 posts, read 1,295,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
How would a real estate sign start an argument or make the neighborhood look trashy? I haven't known our neighbors to have arguments, least of all over real estate signs.

If there’s a real estate sign up close to my house I try to make sure my yard is extra tidy, especially if there’s an open house. Not sure about any other implications.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:31 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,965,168 times
In Loudoun county, definitely more Romney signs, lots of those huge ones, 4' by 8'. I haven't seen even one large Obama sign. Many neighborhoods and towns, like Vienna, don't allow yard signs until a month before the election. Of course, anyone can put whatever they want on their own property, if they don't live under an HOA that controls their lawn.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:54 AM

4,902 posts, read 7,479,415 times
I went through Hamilton a week or so ago. Hamilton is a very, small town in Western Loudoun. Last election lots of houses on the main street had Obama signs. It was kind of "we are the liberals" of Western Loudoun. I was surprised this time -- at least seven or eight Romney, two Obama. I also saw a couple houses with new Kaine signs but no Obama to go with it, which I thought was interesting.

In Purcellville, I lost count of the Romney. Didn't see any Obama.

In Leesburg, several Romney and about two or three Obama.

Now, down Route 29 a bit further, lots of Romney, including huge signs along the highway in people's yards. I am also surprised at the number of Romney bumper stickers I see on cars in Charlottesville! Of course, there are Obama also.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:39 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,149,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
We don't really do signs in my neighborhood. I've seen a few signs that someone is have landscaping done, but usually people pull those out the moment the work is done. A month ago we saw real estate signs, but the houses seem to have all sold. The general attitude about real estate signs seems to be those signs just start arguments and make the neighborhood look trashy--so who needs it?
I meant to say the general attitude about political signs, not the general attitude about real estate signs. Oops. The only time I've seen a lot of political signs in the yards was when one of my neighbors was running for school board and it was more of a reminder to vote than anything else.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:50 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,323,162 times
I've noticed the Republicans usually have their signs out first. Nowadays I perceive them as aggressively angry and not very nice people with a chip on their shoulder. I didn't think that as much when they had Nixon, Ford, or Dole signs in their front yards. Times have changed.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:50 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,749,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
OR, perhaps rich people are just smarter. Just sayin'.........there's usually a correlation between brains and wealth.
So by that logic, you must think Ariana Huffington and George Soros are the equivalent of Einstein. Along with Donald Trump and George W. Bush--true intellectual powerhouses.

For every person who invented some lifesaving medical device or started a thriving company, there are several complete idiots who got their wealth through inheritance, blind luck, or collusion with the corrupt.

Most really smart people end up doing well financially, but not all well-off people are really smart.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 08-22-2012 at 06:06 AM..

Old 08-22-2012, 06:03 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,749,871 times
I posted this simliar poll here some months ago; I don't know if we here are a random cross-section of NoVA (probably not), but obviously, the vast majority of us find political signs unappealing. It's hard to imagine whose mind would be changed by seeing yard signs. Political signs emphasize divisions among neighbors and to many of us seem like throwing a gauntlet down. (For the record, I have friends of both political stripes.)

Old 08-22-2012, 06:20 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,149,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
the vast majority of us find political signs unappealing. It's hard to imagine whose mind would be changed by seeing yard signs. Political signs emphasize divisions among neighbors and to many of us seem like throwing a gauntlet down.
I've also noticed they don't predict the winners of a race. Many times I've seen a candidate's supporters litter the roadways with hundreds of signs, but no matter how much they make the medians look trashy the guy loses anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia