Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 02:23 PM

210 posts, read 417,993 times

Advertisements

Tally Ho Theatre to Close Down Sept. 3 - Leesburg, VA Patch

I was hoping this could be reinvented as an indie/international films theater ala Cinema Arts in Fairfax. Doesn't look like that will be the case now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 02:25 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,117,897 times
Sad news. But, that theater has seen several reincarnations--who knows, there might be yet another in it's future.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:53 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,742,396 times
Bummer It was a fun place to go to. Wish I had the money, always wanted to own a movie theatre !

Old 07-12-2012, 11:26 AM

9,887 posts, read 14,162,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAEER View Post
I was hoping this could be reinvented as an indie/international films theater ala Cinema Arts in Fairfax.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroExpat View Post
Wish I had the money, always wanted to own a movie theatre !
I, too, wish I had the money; because it is such a hike to get to Fairfax, Bethesda or E Street (from Loudoun) for quality indie and foreign films.

Shall we all pool our money as investors?

Old 07-12-2012, 02:04 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,742,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I, too, wish I had the money; because it is such a hike to get to Fairfax, Bethesda or E Street (from Loudoun) for quality indie and foreign films.

Shall we all pool our money as investors?
Sure I've got like $20

Old 07-12-2012, 02:29 PM

6 posts, read 8,091 times
They have two (small, uncomfortable) cinemas, usually play family-tuned movies or whatever is the most popular at the time, and parking is unbearable. What's the draw? Sweet, downtown, old-fashioned charm? Great! But not for movie theaters. Plus, with the new Cobb Theater 3 miles away and that closed-down coffee shop that used to be next to it, I'm sure their business plummeted like there's no tomorrow. It would work in Old Town, but Leesburg is about 10 steps behind.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccommute17 View Post
They have two (small, uncomfortable) cinemas, usually play family-tuned movies or whatever is the most popular at the time, and parking is unbearable. What's the draw? Sweet, downtown, old-fashioned charm? Great! But not for movie theaters. Plus, with the new Cobb Theater 3 miles away and that closed-down coffee shop that used to be next to it, I'm sure their business plummeted like there's no tomorrow. It would work in Old Town, but Leesburg is about 10 steps behind.
You are right, there was no way they could compete with Cobb, because they had the same (essentially) business model: First run, major studio, blockbuster-type movies (It's currently playing the new Spider Man and the new Ice Age cartoon).

Since I've lived in the area, I've never seen them focus on the independent and foreign films, which Cobb avoids like the plague. The independent and foreign films are also MUCH less expensive to buy/ rent from the studios, which helps. Those in Loudoun who enjoy these films (and there are a lot) would much prefer to sit in an uncomfortable theater rather than drive to Bethesda or E Street to see them. (Fairfax has some, but it's also an uncomfortable-seating theater.)

And why do you say parking is unbearable? It's directly next to a garage. The only time I've ever seen that garage full is First Fridays and festivals. Other than that, smooth parking; and free on evenings and weekends.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:31 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,117,897 times
Sometimes I think it would be fun to create some sort of live vaudeville-type show for that theater instead of focusing on movies. Magicians, etc. I thought the Last Comic Standing idea was a good one.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Sometimes I think it would be fun to create some sort of live vaudeville-type show for that theater instead of focusing on movies. Magicians, etc. I thought the Last Comic Standing idea was a good one.
If you read the article, it appears that is the direction they are heading.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:59 PM

531 posts, read 1,430,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
You are right, there was no way they could compete with Cobb, because they had the same (essentially) business model: First run, major studio, blockbuster-type movies (It's currently playing the new Spider Man and the new Ice Age cartoon).

Since I've lived in the area, I've never seen them focus on the independent and foreign films, which Cobb avoids like the plague. The independent and foreign films are also MUCH less expensive to buy/ rent from the studios, which helps. Those in Loudoun who enjoy these films (and there are a lot) would much prefer to sit in an uncomfortable theater rather than drive to Bethesda or E Street to see them. (Fairfax has some, but it's also an uncomfortable-seating theater.)

And why do you say parking is unbearable? It's directly next to a garage. The only time I've ever seen that garage full is First Fridays and festivals. Other than that, smooth parking; and free on evenings and weekends.
This. If they start showing independent and foreign movies, I will be going. For mainstream movies, I will choose Cobbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia