Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 08:07 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,427,003 times

Advertisements

Try Pastry Xpo on Strawberry Lane just around the corner from Four Sisters in Merrifield. It is a French-style pastry/coffee/sandwich cafe, even though the owners are Lebanese, I think. It is very small, somewhat obscure behind a office/condo complex and parking is difficult unless you park in the large Great Wall/Unique Thrift Store complex several hundred feet away and walk over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 10:28 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,539,989 times
The Vienna Inn has french fries. Also des saussises avec chili et fromage. That's close enough for a lot of folks.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:59 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,890,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Where on earth did you possibly get that idea? That type of aspiration to "out-posh" other suburbs really is not characteristic of this area. Great Falls is horsey, not chi-chi; Vienna has multiple mattress stores and a KFC and Taco Bell right on its main drag; McLean has no fewer than three 7-11s within a few blocks of one another; and Arlington is full of so many modest houses built in the 1940s that it could be mistaken for Queens or Staten Island. I guess the Tysons Galleria is semi-posh, but I think it's on loan from Houston or somewhere like that, and will probably get spirited back to Texas one night while no one's looking, and then months before anyone notices it's gone.

Earnest and striving? Yes.

High-achieving? Undoubtedly.

Well-educated? More degrees than you can shake a stick at.

High-earning? Yeah, at least until the rent or mortgage comes due.

Posh? Not a chance!
Hey, I wasn't saying I felt the region was 'posh' (or that it aspires to be so), just that IMO a lot of people who have never been there tend to have those sorts of suspicions (the median income stuff might help), based on millions and millions of points of random/anecdotal data I've run across over the years.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:23 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,517,037 times
There's a perfect French Bistro that satisfies all of your criteria except one----it's in Georgetown, not NoVa.. It's inexpensive, has a great Euro-vibe, and I had the best soup I've ever had in my life there (unfortunately it was a daily special and wasn't on the menu). Check out Cafe La Ruche.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:41 AM

660 posts, read 1,709,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
I do miss really good produce, though.. especially in the colder months when the local farmers' markets aren't open even for stuff like winter vegetables, late apples and pears, etc. Mmmm.
You do know that Arlington and Falls Church's farmers' markets are open year-round, right? You could have been buying local apples and root vegetables (not to mention eggs, dairy and meat) all winter.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:56 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,528,075 times
Eiffel Tower Cafe on Loudoun Street SW in Vienna. Dinner and soft drinks for two can be had for under $100. Lunch for two can be had for under $50 pretty easily it looks like ...

Old 04-11-2011, 07:28 AM

388 posts, read 793,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Eiffel Tower Cafe on Loudoun Street SW in Vienna. Dinner and soft drinks for two can be had for under $100. Lunch for two can be had for under $50 pretty easily it looks like ...
This is the closest thing you'll get to what you want in NOVA, but it's in Leesburg.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:49 AM

9,782 posts, read 15,847,438 times
I'm glad you said that because I was thinking I know Vienna pretty well and have lived in the "SW" quadrant for 10 years, but for the life of me could not imagine where Loudoun Street is. Thought I was losing it...but now it makes sense. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idealism View Post
This is the closest thing you'll get to what you want in NOVA, but it's in Leesburg.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:44 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,119,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idealism View Post
There are places a good bit closer to Vienna/Tysons than Leesburg that offer what the OP is seeking. Here's the menu for the place in Great Falls I identified (and others have identified other places considerably closer than Leesburg). Many of the items on the menu are identical to offerings at the Eiffel Tower Cafe.

Mediterranee Restaurant - Menus

Old 04-11-2011, 09:36 AM

5,389 posts, read 7,250,454 times
Outside of OP's preferred location, but

Bistro: Bistrot Lafayette (I haven't tried it)

Casual country French: Le Refuge (really like it, tiny though)

I haven't been to La Ruche in decades, I'd forgotten about it! Nice place, I'll have to make a point to revisit it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia