Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 12:19 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,130,585 times

Advertisements

Back in the 1950’s and early 1960’s my parents took me to Scranton for the orthodontist. We used to stop at (I thought) The Old River Road Bakery close to downtown Scranton. They made the best cream puffs and éclairs that I have ever eaten. 20 years latter; they had an outlet down by me in Pocono Summit. It was only there for 10 or fifteen years and then closed.
I see Googling that there was a scandal (or controversy) about the sale of the business?
I guess what I am asking is if they are still producing great (to die for) cream puffs and éclairs? I see they have five locations listed in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 12:36 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,949,659 times
I don't profess to be an expert on the subject but there are no ORR bakeries...They all closed...

The "scandal" about the sale was not about the business, it was about the sale of the defunct property that was once the bakery...Someone felt that the sale was engineered to favor certain buyers over another...

While I did like the chocolate eclairs, I always thought the rest of the stuff was pretty mundane...I must have been in the minority because they were always busy...Smart marketing strategy: Put the shops near a bus stop, so shoppers can pick up dessert on the way home.

If any part of this is wrong, I'm sure someone will jump in here and set it straight.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I don't profess to be an expert on the subject but there are no ORR bakeries...They all closed...

The "scandal" about the sale was not about the business, it was about the sale of the defunct property that was once the bakery...Someone felt that the sale was engineered to favor certain buyers over another...

While I did like the chocolate eclairs, I always thought the rest of the stuff was pretty mundane...I must have been in the minority because they were always busy...Smart marketing strategy: Put the shops near a bus stop, so shoppers can pick up dessert on the way home.

If any part of this is wrong, I'm sure someone will jump in here and set it straight.
Thanks for the information theatergypsy,

I realize things change in fifty or so years. Today it is very hard for bakeries to compete with the “in store” bakeries in our food chains.
I also do not need anymore cream puffs in my life. I just reminisce about lost treasures. I still salivate when I think of the first cheese stake that I ate in Philadelphia back in the 1960’s. Sometimes it is very hard to duplicate your first experience with a “new” taste.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:45 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,297,174 times
I loved ORR near Meyers High School when I lived in S. WB. We used to stop there almost every day afterschool. I'm sure that the baked goods were run of the mill, but it was a nice memory.

I agree that smaller bakeries have a hard time competing today. Sanitary Bakery in Nanticoke is awesome though!

Old 03-29-2010, 12:22 AM

905 posts, read 2,400,560 times
Being able to wake up every morning to the smell of fresh baked bread and pastries was great. It made mornings a lot more bearable.

It's a shame that it's no longer there, and they want to use the place to house towed cars and other crap. Fresh bread > oily truck driving men

Old 03-29-2010, 06:00 AM

Here is a link to a small bakery chain that I went into up in Maine: http://www.sendbread.com/
The reason that I mentioned this is because the outlet that I went into was very busy. They have specialty breads and they are not cheap - about $5/loaf. However; they are selling a product that the chains do not sell. To make it today you need a specialty - something that sets you aside from the rest of the pack.
I will live without eating another Old River Road Bakery creampuff or éclair. That does not mean that I will not miss that bakery.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:32 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,297,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedMushroom View Post
Being able to wake up every morning to the smell of fresh baked bread and pastries was great. It made mornings a lot more bearable.

It's a shame that it's no longer there, and they want to use the place to house towed cars and other crap. Fresh bread > oily truck driving men

Did you go to Meyers?

Old 03-29-2010, 07:56 AM

6,793 posts, read 9,344,447 times
I grew up in Pottsville, but both of the McCrory stores at the malls had Old River Road bakery kiosks. I always loved the plain sugar cookies with icing -- usually either pink or yellow.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:26 PM

905 posts, read 2,400,560 times
Yup yup I did, did you?

Old 03-29-2010, 06:31 PM

94 posts, read 610,236 times
Their iced cookies were to die for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania