Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 08:38 AM

23 posts, read 171,211 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'd like to start exploring mountain/lake towns in the Poconos to start vacationing in and maybe buy a second home at. I live in Phili and am ideally looking for a quaint, artsy, town next to a lake to relax around with the family. Far away from strip malls, heavy traffic, etc.. Small grocery store, and some dinner/breakfast places etc..

Any suggestions?

Tx,
Deorge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 09:59 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
I think Harmony Lake sounds good On the lake, relaxed.......far from strip malls,
no heavy traffic.......In that lake area they have Nicks lake house, Shananigan's, Split Rock Lodge and other places to dine. Little quaint, eclectic breakfast places...and a cute ice cream shop.
They do not have a town in there, it does have a town feel however.
They also have craft and festivals that go on........Wine, Chocolate, Arts and Crafts, and the like.
Many lakes are in communities that don't have restaurants or any artsy festivals.
I can think of a bunch of nice lakes, but not with the things you list.
I can't give you five with your wishes...........
Other nice lakes are Emerald Lakes, Lake Naomi, Lake Walenpaupak, Beltzville Lake ( the last being by the town of Jim Thorpe and that is an artsy town)

Old 09-21-2008, 10:59 AM

620 posts, read 2,055,255 times
I'll second Summering's vote for the Wallenpaupack area...the artsy town you will want to be in is Hawley...very cute, a handful of galleries and some fine dining...lots of lake activity.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:40 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times
While it is right near me....I still love Honesdale!!! It is such a quaint town, with a Main Street...lot of cure little sotres to make your way up one side nad dwon the other...and there are a few just a block in...Then running along side Main Street is Church St....with many beautiful churches all nestled together and a beautiful Courthouse square.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:37 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
While it is right near me....I still love Honesdale!!! It is such a quaint town, with a Main Street...lot of cure little sotres to make your way up one side nad dwon the other...and there are a few just a block in...Then running along side Main Street is Church St....with many beautiful churches all nestled together and a beautiful Courthouse square.
I second Honesdale. Another quiet little town is Hawley like Merman Mike mentioned. And yet another is Tunkhannock.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:47 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,549,693 times
Wallenpaupack is at the top of my list with Honesdale - not only are the towns artsy and interesting with something to do - the people are warm and make you feel welcome. Is it almost like when you are there you feel you belong.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:12 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
I love Honesdale and Hawley........but.........I was not sure the poster was wanting a town and lake that are in the same space. The combo factor.
Even so Beltzville Lake has a home development near the lake, not on........
Then it is still a short ride to Jim Thorpe which is very artsy.
Lake Harmony is plenty of homes right on the lake, or near the lake with the other
stores, restaurants, etc right in the area of living.
I think everyone gave good ideas. It all boils down to the poster defining his wishes.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:51 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I don't think there is honestly any lakefront community in the Poconos. This poster seems to want something along the lines of a Jim Thorpe or a Honesdale (think historic walkable downtown with specialty shops, galleries, parks, things to do, etc.) with the convenience of being a few blocks from a lake as well.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:28 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
I also love Hawley and Honesdale. They are my favorite towns so far. Lots of quaintness ; is that a word?? and just a nice small town feeling.

d

Old 09-22-2008, 06:55 AM

620 posts, read 2,055,255 times
I mentioned Hawley because it is so close to Wallenpaupack...I wouldn't call it walking distance, but you can drive there in 2 or 3 minutes tops.

Honesdale is the better town among the two in terms of amount of interesting stuff going on, so if you don't need to be really close to the lake, then Honesdale is a great one to look at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania