Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 11:31 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,687,329 times

Advertisements

Yeah, my Mom had a ventless and I just could not stand that smell from it.
I'd stick with a direct vent....... I had one for our pellet stove, and it was wonderful.
I'd do that again for a gas stove also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 12:36 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,122,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
if you have a vent-free...make sure you have proper ventilation...carbon monoxide poisoning is a concern with ventless.
Good point and frankly I wonder how they have gotten them past regulations. Venting that many fumes from any fossil fuel no matter how clean it is into your home cannot be good for your health. The concern is greater with a newer homes that are much less ventilated.

I discussed this with a client that sells them and if remember correctly he said it's recommended you leave a window open which to me pretty much negates the point in the first place.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:06 PM

371 posts, read 939,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
My mother loved her ventless. We used Amerigas to put it in and they gave the tank and connection at no cost because you use them for fill ups. After calling around they were the best price. They have to safely connect the fireplace. They won't run a line where something might rub it.......If there is that problem then they use different piping that would cost you extra.
Personally, the fumes bothered me with the ventless. I'd need at the minimum a direct vent.
We have a vent free and Ameragas also...Bunch of rip offs I think...$5.65 a gallon they charged me a month ago...Will be removing there tank when this load is used up...

Vent free smells a bit when first lit so we open a window for 5 mins then we are OK...Other than that they are OK...I would get a vented one if I had to do again though...

Old 02-21-2009, 05:58 PM

45 posts, read 115,546 times
I have a 40K ventless in my fireplace. I have 2- 40# bottles for gas supply. I only leave one tank open at a time. When one tank goes empty I close that one and open the other. Then I can take the empty one to the gas station and get it filled. Last fill up was $32.00 I think.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
The 100 lb tanks sold at low's only have a POL, valve on them. Means you can not buy 2-100 lbs tanks at lows and have someone come to your house to fill them. They dont have the filler valve on the top of the tank. Therefor you would need a pickup truck to take them and have them filled. As the tanks need to be standing up after filled, and not laying down.

Keep in mind 1-100lb tank is about 82lbs empty. filled your closer to 200lbs. Not something you want to keep taking to get filled once a month.

By the way the price right not to fill a 100lb tank is 80.00. Thats only if you take the tank to get filled. If you have someone fill them at your house and lets say 4.00 a gallon @ 23, gallons 2 tanks = 184.00
saw your post
I bought a 100 lb bottle from Lowes. My local propane dealer will not fill it without a new "commercial" fill valve. (The bottle from Lowes is like the one on 25 lb BBQ bottle). Google searches are not much help in telling me what new valve to buy.
Suggestions??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania