Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2023, 10:52 PM

8,071 posts, read 7,432,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanhoe1966 View Post
How unfortunate. I presume there will be ample car rentals about, and I shall use ride sharing services to access everything as I do currently in Sheffield.

Additionally, I do wonder are there any British-style pubs in the downtown area of Shamokin? Where does the city go to view a football match?
I'm not sure if your daughter is having you on, or if you are having us on with your childlike optimism about Shamokin. You say that after she dropped out of Temple your daughter moved to Shamokin where she took up with a guy, and now you are sending them a "sizeable sum" every month because of the high cost of living there? Shamokin is a dump, and my wife sold her late brother's house there three years ago for $15,500.00. It was the only offer and we took it before the buyer sobered up. At one point they had to send the National Guard in to board up abandoned buildings to stop drug addicts setting them on fire. You may think every city has its bad sections, but Shamokin has only 6,000 people. Do the math.

For God's sake, there are no Shakespeare companies there and nobody has ever heard of Chomsky or Aurelius. You cannot rent a car there. There are no hotels. It's the only town I've ever seen that looks worse when it's covered in snow. The best thing for that town would be for Dunkin Donuts to burn down, and the residents are so dim they'd think it was the worst thing.

Maybe I'm being too gloomy. I know Sheffield is "oop North" and maybe it would seem normal for buildings to be falling down and shops to be empty all over the city. It's your business to live wherever you want.

https://digg.com/video/shamokin-dunkin-donuts

https://www.wnep.com/article/news/lo...5-aa366c70f28e

https://www.city-data.com/poverty/po...nsylvania.html

Last edited by jtab4994; 04-30-2023 at 10:59 PM.. Reason: Replaced the censored link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2023, 08:07 AM

10,846 posts, read 4,525,381 times
I knew a girl from there. And she was Shamokin....

ps: has anyone besides me ever been there?

Old 05-01-2023, 12:07 PM

3,963 posts, read 2,347,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I'm not sure if your daughter is having you on, or if you are having us on with your childlike optimism about Shamokin. You say that after she dropped out of Temple your daughter moved to Shamokin where she took up with a guy, and now you are sending them a "sizeable sum" every month because of the high cost of living there? Shamokin is a dump, and my wife sold her late brother's house there three years ago for $15,500.00. It was the only offer and we took it before the buyer sobered up. At one point they had to send the National Guard in to board up abandoned buildings to stop drug addicts setting them on fire. You may think every city has its bad sections, but Shamokin has only 6,000 people. Do the math.

For God's sake, there are no Shakespeare companies there and nobody has ever heard of Chomsky or Aurelius. You cannot rent a car there. There are no hotels. It's the only town I've ever seen that looks worse when it's covered in snow. The best thing for that town would be for Dunkin Donuts to burn down, and the residents are so dim they'd think it was the worst thing.

Maybe I'm being too gloomy. I know Sheffield is "oop North" and maybe it would seem normal for buildings to be falling down and shops to be empty all over the city. It's your business to live wherever you want.

https://digg.com/video/shamokin-dunkin-donuts

https://www.wnep.com/article/news/lo...5-aa366c70f28e

https://www.city-data.com/poverty/po...nsylvania.html
Hilarious! Sizeable sum, eh? The underground economy is thriving thanks to your contributions.

Old 05-01-2023, 12:26 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,928,486 times
It's sad to hear the condition of Shamokin, my Dad was born there. They had a big house and the Police barracks were in their basement back in the 30's - 40's. We visited once about 60 years ago and it wasn't that hot even then.

Old 05-01-2023, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
It's sad to hear the condition of Shamokin, my Dad was born there. They had a big house and the Police barracks were in their basement back in the 30's - 40's. We visited once about 60 years ago and it wasn't that hot even then.
My wife was born there too, and she doesn't like to be reminded of it. Her brother lived there his entire adult life, ran a business and everything. He was the absolute salt of the earth and would give you the shirt off his back, and even insisted on giving us extra food he got from the food bank. Almost everyone in Shamokin is the same way. But boy, the smart ones read the writing on the wall and get out in a hurry.

My first visit to Shamokin in 1993 had me quickly locking the car doors like I was in Newark. Then I looked around and realized that everyone was white. That was this suburban New Jersey boy's first close encounter with Appalachia, and I'll never forget it.

Old 05-21-2023, 08:21 AM

31 posts, read 24,988 times
It is nice that the government there sealed up the buildings to prevent them from catching on fire. I'm failing to see how that is a bad thing? Concerning home prices, I'm failing to see how a good deal is a bad thing as well. I paid under $25,000 for a home in the southeast district of the city. Why would I wish to pay more? Regarding your criticism of the people, I myself am from a city whose inhabitants are oft critiqued. I trust my daughter's opinion and according to her theatre and lit are tops in the area, and I look forward to joining in.

Old 05-22-2023, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanhoe1966 View Post
It is nice that the government there sealed up the buildings to prevent them from catching on fire. I'm failing to see how that is a bad thing? Concerning home prices, I'm failing to see how a good deal is a bad thing as well. I paid under $25,000 for a home in the southeast district of the city. Why would I wish to pay more? Regarding your criticism of the people, I myself am from a city whose inhabitants are oft critiqued. I trust my daughter's opinion and according to her theatre and lit are tops in the area, and I look forward to joining in.
I'll confess I've never been to the North of England but I know it's always been considered gritty, and the people suffer from chronic unemployment. In fact I am a particular fan of the "kitchen sink movement" in cinema so I know how working-class life can be romanticized. Yet I'd be surprised if Sheffield has really sunk so low as to have reached a par with tiny Shamokin. $25,000 for a house is not a lot of money but it may or may not be a "good deal". At least you've saved money so you can continue to fund your daughter and her beau in their Shamokin lifestyles.

One thing -- If theatre and lit in Shamokin are considered tops in the area, that begs the question: What constitutes The Area?

Old 05-22-2023, 10:27 PM

408 posts, read 231,736 times
If this isn’t a troll thread, then I feel really sorry for the individual.

I lived in Mt Carmel / Kulpmont area my entire childhood and left around 22. Shamokin and all those areas are economically distressed, a lot of poor individuals. The last theater we had that was good was the Victorian and they replaced that with a Rite aide. Your quality of life would be drastically better if you moved to Selinsgrove if you want to stay around that area. There is nothing happening in Shamokin.

In regards to the question if you paid under 25,000 for a home, that means that area is hugely economically distressed. Horrible home values has a dramatic impact on the local economy. Low incomes are collectively in the area which means the velocity of money is low. All of that equals to bad or lack of services compared to other areas (schools, roads, bridges, restaurants, food quality in general, and the list goes on, and on). 35% of the population is in poverty, the per capital income is 20,000! You will live a way better quality of life elsewhere. Williamsport, Lewistburg, Selinsgrove are vastly better.

Last edited by Higherho; 05-22-2023 at 10:35 PM..

Old 05-22-2023, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higherho View Post
If this isn’t a troll thread, then I feel really sorry for the individual.
I first thought this thread was started by someone fiddling with ChatGPT, but the OP has remained in character and has even started a companion thread. At this point I'd like to see how long he can keep it up. It has been fairly entertaining so far.

Old 05-23-2023, 07:07 AM

10,846 posts, read 4,525,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post

My first visit to Shamokin in 1993 had me quickly locking the car doors like I was in Newark. Then I looked around and realized that everyone was white. That was this suburban New Jersey boy's first close encounter with Appalachia, and I'll never forget it.

fwiw, I had my car broken into exactly twice lifetime. Both times in PA, and both times by white guys...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania