Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 04:40 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,127,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
Elon Musk will have his Hyperloop up and running here before that train ever gets built!
With land so valuable and eminent domain so hard to use without major legal hurtles; the only true way to modernize our transportation system is underground in the megalopolis of the Northeast. Most of the old rail right of ways were purchased for another time where the equipment went much slower. We cannot have 80 mile/hour + rail lines with Seattle turns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 04:03 AM

One last word on high speed rail for here in the East; look at what is happening out West: https://hotair.com/archives/2018/01/...rain-paradise/. I quote: "The estimated cost of building 119 miles of bullet train track in the Central Valley has jumped to $10.6 billion, an increase of $2.8 billion from the current budget and up from about $6 billion originally." They are eight years behind schedule and they are still on phase I (they have not started tunneling under the mountains). Property acquisition is listed as one major factors for the cost overruns. Keep in mind that the first sections are through farming country.

The problems they are encountering out West; we will encounter back East - but it will cost considerably more for us due to the high cost of land as well as other factors. How much are passengers willing to pay to get to work? Would it not be cheaper to bring the work to the workers?

Old 01-18-2018, 05:12 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,761,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
One last word on high speed rail for here in the East; look at what is happening out West: https://hotair.com/archives/2018/01/...rain-paradise/. I quote: "The estimated cost of building 119 miles of bullet train track in the Central Valley has jumped to $10.6 billion, an increase of $2.8 billion from the current budget and up from about $6 billion originally." They are eight years behind schedule and they are still on phase I (they have not started tunneling under the mountains). Property acquisition is listed as one major factors for the cost overruns. Keep in mind that the first sections are through farming country.

The problems they are encountering out West; we will encounter back East - but it will cost considerably more for us due to the high cost of land as well as other factors. How much are passengers willing to pay to get to work? Would it not be cheaper to bring the work to the workers?
For many of us who commute the salary and benefits are the incentive. Comparable work in NEPA for me is a minimum 40% pay cut, health insurance costs, no union, no pension. So, if they bring the Work they also need to bring the pay and benefits or many of us will continue the status quo of commuting.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
For many of us who commute the salary and benefits are the incentive. Comparable work in NEPA for me is a minimum 40% pay cut, health insurance costs, no union, no pension. So, if they bring the Work they also need to bring the pay and benefits or many of us will continue the status quo of commuting.
Of course; that is all of the 'package'. Many of us were hoping that would become reality with the 'Wall Street West' project that now seems to have dematerialized.

With the infrastructure projects that we desperately need; I always hoped on more trucking and warehouse jobs. I know that they are not the NYC jobs with six figures; but they could be a good start. Unfortunately, other than UPS, we do not offer any union trucking jobs. However drivers for FEDEX and Walmart do make a comfortable living (at least for our area). Of course the unions do not have the power they once enjoyed.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Of course; that is all of the 'package'. Many of us were hoping that would become reality with the 'Wall Street West' project that now seems to have dematerialized.

With the infrastructure projects that we desperately need; I always hoped on more trucking and warehouse jobs. I know that they are not the NYC jobs with six figures; but they could be a good start. Unfortunately, other than UPS, we do not offer any union trucking jobs. However drivers for FEDEX and Walmart do make a comfortable living (at least for our area). Of course the unions do not have the power they once enjoyed.
Honestly, I not at six figures but my job has many perks that make it worth my while. I'm 1199 union so I have 0 payments into my health care and 0 out of pocket costs when in network (medical, vision, dental & prescription) and a very healthy pension system along with tuition reimbursement and plenty of PTO along with many other little perks that make life easier financially and emotionally.

I would be more than willing to take a pay cut (maybe not 40%) to be that much closer to home but when you factor in health care costs I'd incur it's just not worth it to me.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Honestly, I not at six figures but my job has many perks that make it worth my while. I'm 1199 union so I have 0 payments into my health care and 0 out of pocket costs when in network (medical, vision, dental & prescription) and a very healthy pension system along with tuition reimbursement and plenty of PTO along with many other little perks that make life easier financially and emotionally.

I would be more than willing to take a pay cut (maybe not 40%) to be that much closer to home but when you factor in health care costs I'd incur it's just not worth it to me.
There are always some good paying jobs in the area. If you use a site like the Glass Door, you have to sign up to see all salaries; you can see what the different companies in our area pay. Looking at Sanofi in Swiftwater (which they have listed in E. Stroudsburg) the salaries vary from about $17/hour to $165,000/year on the first page. One of the hardest parts of getting a good job in our area is working though the temporary workers system. That goes for many local employers that hire 'temps' before they give a chance at fulltime employment with benefits.

We might be a little off subject; but, if the jobs were here, there would be no reason to commute. What I do not understand is why the employers do not see the need for those jobs on this side of the river. Commuters that spend three/four/ or more hours on the road could use that time for productive work. Commuters are throwing away their free time as well as the opportunity to even make more money. That does not even mention the funds needed to keep the vehicles in condition to make these long trips.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:55 AM

115 posts, read 163,198 times
Quote:

there would be no reason to commute. What I do not understand is why the employers do not see the need for those jobs on this side of the river.
From some of what i've read here on CD is lack of good infrastructure (road, sewer, etc) to support it is the general thought. Additional note, its more than just our side of the river, those commuters are going through western and northwestern NJ to get to those jobs. Outside of selective i don't think Sussex co has any major business either.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
There are always some good paying jobs in the area. If you use a site like the Glass Door, you have to sign up to see all salaries; you can see what the different companies in our area pay. Looking at Sanofi in Swiftwater (which they have listed in E. Stroudsburg) the salaries vary from about $17/hour to $165,000/year on the first page. One of the hardest parts of getting a good job in our area is working though the temporary workers system. That goes for many local employers that hire 'temps' before they give a chance at fulltime employment with benefits.

We might be a little off subject; but, if the jobs were here, there would be no reason to commute. What I do not understand is why the employers do not see the need for those jobs on this side of the river. Commuters that spend three/four/ or more hours on the road could use that time for productive work. Commuters are throwing away their free time as well as the opportunity to even make more money. That does not even mention the funds needed to keep the vehicles in condition to make these long trips.
I've looked at Sanofi and they're pretty much a niche employer. You need a very particular skill set/educational background for 99% of their jobs.

I've been using Indeed and Glassdoor for several years to watch availabilities. Despite having a Masters in my field and nearly 20 years experience, starting salary is laughable in NEPA. Seriously, most jobs are at least 40% less than what I'm making, most are paying 1/3.

Even places like Penn and Temple down in Philly with my experience/education makes less than a starting position at my current employment. I'm just hanging in to hit my full 20 for my pension before I make any "big moves" concerning finding work closer to home.

ETA: I'm not complaining at all. I like my job, I like living in PA. It was a compromise I was willing to make.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I've looked at Sanofi and they're pretty much a niche employer. You need a very particular skill set/educational background for 99% of their jobs.

I've been using Indeed and Glassdoor for several years to watch availabilities. Despite having a Masters in my field and nearly 20 years experience, starting salary is laughable in NEPA. Seriously, most jobs are at least 40% less than what I'm making, most are paying 1/3.

Even places like Penn and Temple down in Philly with my experience/education makes less than a starting position at my current employment. I'm just hanging in to hit my full 20 for my pension before I make any "big moves" concerning finding work closer to home.

ETA: I'm not complaining at all. I like my job, I like living in PA. It was a compromise I was willing to make.
Sanofi has accountants and others that make big bucks. When I worked for Consolidated Freight I had a friend that's wife made over $150K/year as an accountant at the, then, National Drug Company that proceeded Connaught and eventually became Sanofi. My friend was making $75K/year and the two of them were knocking down about $225K. What I am saying is that some of us locals still managed to make a good living. I would be working for them right now as a Manpower temp if it was not for my wife. I always liked the idea of making vaccines that saved lives - even if I was only a grunt.

But, yes, they prefer younger college graduates with a major in biology, But you never know unless your apply. They have people in charge of the sewage treatment plant, they need many engineers, salesmen, electricians, - you never know unless you check.

I hung out with the Teamsters for 30 years just for the pension. We all do what we have to do.

While I know times are difficult; it never hurts to always look.

When it comes to rail service; I just feel that it is too expensive. If we could improve the local jobs and our local infrastructure (one improvement would feed off the other); maybe rail would follow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania