Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 03:31 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,897,080 times

Advertisements

Let it go Warren, it's just a really bad case of Butthurt Syndrome you are suffering. I held off commenting here because it just is the same old spew but you are making too many one sided points. I also migrated but I did very careful research, it surprised me to read that you are a P.I. Surely, couldn't you have a done a more thorough background check to cover your own ass? I also take the sixth sense into account, didn't you at any time get a bad feeling being in that neighborhood before you bought?

I mentioned this in some of your original posts, when I was house hunting I was driven to a very bad street by the realtor. I immediately called her on her cell and told her not to get out of the car and just drive us to the next place. When we got there I admonished her and reiterated all my requirements. No in the Ghetto, no near the River, no twins or mobiles. I told her all this from the start and she kept showing me garbage so I finally got testy.

When I found the house I'm in now I did a thorough drive around to get a feel of the area before settling on it. I got a really good home inspector and went to the Mine repository office and made sure I didn't have a hole 50 feet beneath my basement. So really, as others have said, maybe you just needed a bit more diligence instead of diving in blind head first.

The majority of the crime is a result of section 8 housing that should have never been approved and they are mostly targeting each other in drug disputes. Yes, we need to beef up the police force and get a Mayor in there that will be strong on crime. That said, I have never felt endangered when out and about town. Every town has it's good and bad areas, you just need to use caution and good old common sense.

Time for an endorsement worthy of a city that deserves a better reputation than it's getting. If we get the section 8 and gang problem areas cleaned up this city has a lot to offer, I can see it beyond the problems.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-07-2015 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: great post except for the solicitation -removed that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 06:11 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,292,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
Let it go Warren, it's just a really bad case of Butthurt Syndrome you are suffering. I held off commenting here because it just is the same old spew but you are making too many one sided points. I also migrated but I did very careful research, it surprised me to read that you are a P.I. Surely, couldn't you have a done a more thorough background check to cover your own ass? I also take the sixth sense into account, didn't you at any time get a bad feeling being in that neighborhood before you bought?

I mentioned this in some of your original posts, when I was house hunting I was driven to a very bad street by the realtor. I immediately called her on her cell and told her not to get out of the car and just drive us to the next place. When we got there I admonished her and reiterated all my requirements. No in the Ghetto, no near the River, no twins or mobiles. I told her all this from the start and she kept showing me garbage so I finally got testy.

When I found the house I'm in now I did a thorough drive around to get a feel of the area before settling on it. I got a really good home inspector and went to the Mine repository office and made sure I didn't have a hole 50 feet beneath my basement. So really, as others have said, maybe you just needed a bit more diligence instead of diving in blind head first.

The majority of the crime is a result of section 8 housing that should have never been approved and they are mostly targeting each other in drug disputes. Yes, we need to beef up the police force and get a Mayor in there that will be strong on crime. That said, I have never felt endangered when out and about town. Every town has it's good and bad areas, you just need to use caution and good old common sense.

Time for an endorsement worthy of a city that deserves a better reputation than it's getting. If we get the section 8 and gang problem areas cleaned up this city has a lot to offer, I can see it beyond the problems.
Excellent post Chefkey.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:11 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,232,261 times
Well our search started many summers ago while dropping our kids off at camp. We first checked the Poconos, because we vacationed there. Too many vacation homes and taxes too high for Pa. We also checked out Scranton, but sellers had their homes on a string, once we liked it, well, they were letting a family member move in, and decided not to sell. Then there was a home in West Pittston that seemed cute and it was on a tree lined street. We checked the area and it seemed nice. Several days before closing the owner wanted "letters of reference" to buy the house. Between my wife and I we bought and sold 7 homes and never once did we need a letter of reference to buy a home. The broker said it was normal. Even though we had the money, the seller found out we were not from the area and wouldn't sell us the house. At that time, it was two weeks before the start of school, so our friend who was a realtor found our home and the neighborhood seemed safe. We sold our NY home and had to get the kids registered for school. We actually had no problems for 1 1/2 years and liked Wilkes Barre (look it up) People thought we were crazy moving to WB. There had been a new restaurant opening down the street called "Cork" and it was walking distance to downtown and a block from Kings College. All the problems occurred when a very nice life long resident of WB and her family were evicted from their home, which happened to be next door and the home turned into a home that homeless people took over and actually someone was raped there.
The apt building across the street was the "drug den". and more problems started from my previous post. We saw nothing wrong with Madison St the first year and a half, and by the way, a search with the WB PD turned up no problems with Madison before w moved in, so "due dilligence" was performed and it was fine.
We were called "cheer leaders" and were told we were crazy to move there, and now we comment how bad it is and called cry babies or worse. I really couldn't care less, but we are in a safe middle class neighborhood where our son is going to a top NE College and our daughter is a straight "A" student who will be going to an excellent school too. Both will be going away to college where they will have a life as opposed to the young people of WB who will go to Kings, Wilkes or LCC and who will stay there after school Margaritte. We have been called vagabonds and gypsies and as a family we moved twice. Once to Pa. and then to Ohio, oh yeah, our third will be getting a vacation home in fla. I think the collective lot of you are suffering from "Butt Hurt" from sitting in your ashley recliners in WB, never trying anything new. We feel WB was an experience for us and if I see something I like or don't like I will comment. I lived in WB for 3 years and its like being in a prison camp, if you were in a prison camp, and see something about that camp, you can comment on it, but don't want to go back there. I see Wilkes Barre as the same as the camp.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:39 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Because many tried to help you! With friends like you; who needs enemies!

Why are you saying that only you have ever had problems? I have been shot and I have had knives held to me - so what; I lived. Big deal - I don't put down the area. I called the police one time when an off-duty ambulance driver ran into me and was written up as being at fault - but that's life; again so what!

I just cannot get it out of my head that here you are about ten hours away; but you cannot stay away. You keep looking for somebody to say that you did the right thing - it's terrible here. And, I keep saying, that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Not everybody will share your experience and some will have bad experiences - even in Warren, Ohio.
Yes, it is. Some appreciate living in a home which they own, meaning paid for. They're glad that they live near family and can enjoy their company and help them when necessary. They cherish the memories associated with the city or town in which they grew up. Sometimes, knowing the butcher, the baker and the candlestick maker--and their brothers and sisters, parents, aunts and uncles--pays off.

Growing up there reminds me of John Mellencamp's Small Town. It was a city of neighborhoods. Most of them are. My small town just happened to be in Wilkes-Barre.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:09 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Yes, it is. Some appreciate living in a home which they own, meaning paid for. They're glad that they live near family and can enjoy their company and help them when necessary. They cherish the memories associated with the city or town in which they grew up. Sometimes, knowing the butcher, the baker and the candlestick maker--and their brothers and sisters, parents, aunts and uncles--pays off.

Growing up there reminds me of John Mellencamp's Small Town. It was a city of neighborhoods. Most of them are. My small town just happened to be in Wilkes-Barre.
I say the same thing - I don't owe the bank one penny and I want to keep it that way. No payments/low payments can make any home feel more like home. What happened to Warren and Sheena could happen to anybody and anyplace - it only takes one group of bad neighbors.

WB/Stroudsburg/Warren Ohio or wherever all have problems. The idea is that you fix your problems. I never liked the fact that they left town. Yes; it could have been the only "safe" solution - but it never sat right with me. I would rather see people fight for what is right and clean up the local problems.

Anyway; great post!

Old 04-08-2015, 07:51 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,849,160 times
This thread just repeats over and over a sad saga, experienced by a family that moved to NEPA ...actually Wilkes Barre, hardly representative of NEPA as a whole. They bought in a neighborhood to be urban pioneers. They fixed up an older house in a declining neighborhood...a neighborhood which rather than improving and gentrifying, went the other way.

Bad research? Bad judgement? Bad luck? Bad realtor? ... many contributing factors which are not worthy of reviewing again and again.

Then they moved hundreds of miles away to a (roughly) similar situation BUT this time, using the experience they were escaping from, picked a 'good' neighborhood, despite the fact that the new town had some bad ones.

The annoying part is that they can't let it go. They monitor and return here to C-D regularly to demean the people and the city...and indirectly the whole area, by retelling their saga in great detail...again and again. In some ways it is probably therapeutic for them and also sour grapes. It would be nice if they had the class to just accept and admit they made a mistake...specifically in the neighborhood they picked and move on, butt....

No one here is happy they had a bad experience. It just gets tiring hearing it again and again. If they feel compelled to continue to try to demean the area and its people, and discourage any who want to move there, it would be good to simply state they had a bad experience and moved to a better place. People do that every day. It happens. Fact is many more people are moving to PA (and NEPA) from NJ/NY/CT then the other way. Not everyone wants to move to OH, IN, MI, whatever for many reasons.

Anyone planning to move to NEPA should take this as a caution to not make the same mistake(s)...this doesn't mean there aren't plenty of suitable places to live...there are...it's just that as in any move, thorough research and reasonable expectations are required...and some luck too.

For the record, there are some bad...and even very bad neighborhoods in Wilkes-Barre, as there are in many cities in the country. Why this is so and what can be done about it, is a subject for yet another l-o-n-g thread. Before starting one, "newbies" are encouraged to read some of the old ones on this topic carefully, not only here on C-D NEPA but, on many of the other C-D forums or similar info sources. In many cases, contributing causes can be found in the condition of our culture, politics, and country which will not be quickly resolved...so, once again, pick where and how you live carefully to avoid disappointment.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:47 AM

109 posts, read 162,922 times
Another thing is to manage your expectations from the area. Many times I read people moving from NYC and are disappointed with location for the lack of specialized health care, museums, night life etc. it actually makes me laugh

Old 04-08-2015, 11:11 AM

I can comment on places that I have lived. I always check the NY forum and also comment there. I comment on the Ohio forum too. I have opinions like every else. So you don't like what I say too bad. I've seen people say bad things about NY and Ohio and I don't cry. When we were thinking of moving to WB, everyone was putting it down. We became residents and for 1 1/2 years enjoyed it and were called "cheer leaders" (everyone was putting us down) Now I comment on WB regarding the lousy other year and a half and all you people who hated WB now defend it with your lives. I've had problems in W. Pittston when they only wanted locals to buy their home. Sorry F'n strange. People from WB and W. Pittston don't want outsiders there, probably more of the norm than different.
Sorry if you don't like my opinions, I guess you'll have to live with them.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:18 AM

It is also very interesting that I've gotten 9 positive replies to my comments. So some people agree with me and it wasn't my wife.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:42 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
I can comment on places that I have lived. I always check the NY forum and also comment there. I comment on the Ohio forum too. I have opinions like every else. So you don't like what I say too bad. I've seen people say bad things about NY and Ohio and I don't cry. When we were thinking of moving to WB, everyone was putting it down. We became residents and for 1 1/2 years enjoyed it and were called "cheer leaders" (everyone was putting us down) Now I comment on WB regarding the lousy other year and a half and all you people who hated WB now defend it with your lives. I've had problems in W. Pittston when they only wanted locals to buy their home. Sorry F'n strange. People from WB and W. Pittston don't want outsiders there, probably more of the norm than different.
Sorry if you don't like my opinions, I guess you'll have to live with them.
So in one and a half years you met everybody and know exactly what everybody thinks - very 'liberal' of you! In the first one and a half years you were cheer leaders and also knew exactly what everybody was thinking. It still all boils down to your one bad experience that could have happened in Warren, Ohio.

I sincerely hope that you get exactly what you want. Perhaps there is lack of competition for drug dealers in Warren and some of the dealers in WB realize that it is a 'safer' neighborhood? I am sure that WB would be more than willing to share some of the more unsavory elements with Ohio or any other area of our Country.

As far as your experience with W. Pittston: Do you want to legislate how everybody thinks? If you did not like one real estate agent; why not go to another? If one seller did not like you, so what, you don't buy - that is how capitalism works. You want everybody to goose step like Stepford Wives? Not every thought in America is for sale or should it be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania