Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 07:32 AM

2 posts, read 15,105 times

Advertisements

Mod note - This thread was started in 2006. The opening poster has posted once more since 2006 on City Data

hi everyone.im new here.i ive lived in nepa for 7 years.my parents are buying their first house and i would like to know how the area of cabondale is for a 58 yr old couple.their first home(or soon to be first home) is by darte ave.anyone know that particular area?crime?hows the community?thanks to all

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-18-2019 at 09:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2006, 11:00 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Smile Carbondale: Safe, Quiet, but Boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by travman514 View Post
hi everyone.im new here.i ive lived in nepa for 7 years.my parents are buying their first house and i would like to know how the area of cabondale is for a 58 yr old couple.their first home(or soon to be first home) is by darte ave.anyone know that particular area?crime?hows the community?thanks to all
Carbondale is your typical struggling small, former mining city in Northeastern Pennsylvania. It has its own YMCA, grocery stores, and a downtown that is attempting to revitalize itself, but most shopping areas are found about twenty minutes south via the Casey Highway (Route 6) in Dickson City. (Lowe's, Target, Viewmont Mall, Wal-Mart, Wegman's, Starbucks, etc.) The town itself has a bit of a "run-down" appearance, but it's actually very safe, tranquil, and friendly. It's mostly a case of a large concentration of poorer elderly homeowners living solely on social security payments who simply can't afford to upkeep their homes, and then younger families move in and renovate them after they die off. Housing prices in the area are very affordable; most sell for under $100,000. Carbondale is also only about 20 minutes from Victorian Honesdale, (see my thread "Northeastern Pennsylvania Photo Tour: Part Three"), with its quaint downtown, historic homes, and many festivals.

I hate to say this, but Carbondale is kind of like "the town that time forgot." While Scranton is beginning to find its niche as the region's urban center with new lofts, coffeehouses, etc., and Honesdale is a tourist destination, Carbondale, just twenty minutes from both, is still in disarray. The downtown is rather disorganized, and there don't really seem to be any long-term plans for renewal. Mayor Justin Taylor, who is only in his early-20s, is now in office, and many hope that he'll help to bring more of a "lively, energetic" feel back to the town. Basically, your parents will have nothing but peace and quiet, but may become bored out of their minds!

Old 11-09-2006, 05:35 PM

46 posts, read 427,191 times
Carbondale is an upscale area nestled in the mountains and is quite nice. The home prices in the area have been escalating, and there are people of all ages there. I know people who live there, and they are many many young families in the area. It is very safe, beautiful and peaceful.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:31 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,653,959 times
Contrasting views

Old 11-11-2006, 05:01 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
Contrasting views
I know. Carbondale is a "nice", "safe" area, but it's FAR from "upscale." If you want "upscale", then head to Clarks Summit, the Back Mountain, Mountain Top, or Glenmaura.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:16 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,965,214 times
Carbondale is jokingly referred to among locals as "Garbagedale," if that helps somewhat.

Also, Carbondale schools consistently rank at the bottom of all area schools in academic performance. Especially avoid it if you have children.

Old 11-15-2006, 11:44 AM

3 posts, read 15,802 times
Default Carbondale

How are the schools in honesdale compared to carbondale?

Old 11-15-2006, 11:58 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,965,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JODY920 View Post
How are the schools in honesdale compared to carbondale?

I'm pretty sure Honesdale schools are pretty good. Most NEPA schools are good. From reviewing test scores and rankings that are regularly printed in the local papers, I would say that these schools should be avoided:

Carbondale
Old Forge
Pocono Mountain

Most others are average/above average. Both Scranton and Wilkes-Barre city schools rank pretty well academically.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 11,098 times
Default What does Carbondale Need?

Good Evening,
In reference to the status of Carbondale, PA. What would you say the town needs to get revitalized? What is special about the town compared to Honesdale and nearby Scranton? I am interested in your opinion. Thanks.

~Cavi

Old 12-01-2006, 05:00 PM

46 posts, read 427,191 times
Default Carbondale

Scranton is kind of dangerous, and dumpy. However, it too is not too bad. Honesdale is awesome, however, there is a Walmart there and it has a "sprawl" effect to it. Carbondale is a little town nestled in the mountains, apart from all of the other cities in the area, and it has a more community feel to it. Even though it is so far from Scranton, it is connected by way of a new highway and a fairly new (in the last ten years) business route 6 that is just a beautiful drive to shopping, in about 15 to 20 minutes away. The stores and homes in the Carbondale area are nice to look at, and the people are nice. The mountain ranges that it is nestled in between make the community feel very serene. The grocery store (Weis) just went through major renovations and looks very upscale. It seems as though life is good in Carbondale. It may have had a bad reputation before, maybe because it was so isolated from the other communities. However, since the two roadways have been put in (the highway and the business route 6) the area has become more and more refined and revitalized. The Governor just gave the City of Carbondale a 3 Million dollar grant to further upgrade the city. The prices of homes have been going up rapidly and now it is hard to find a nice three bedroom home for less than 75 to 80 thousand. Only two years ago, those prices would have been in the 50 thousand range. There are many more houses in this area going for much more than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania