Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2013, 10:42 AM

8,118 posts, read 7,492,226 times

Advertisements

No, I mean the bird kind that you cook and eat!

Just saw a frozen goose in the Shop Rite here in NJ, priced five dollars ninety-nine cents the pound which extends out to $83.03 for a 13.86 pound bird.

Anyone know of a place that sells goose in NEPA, and is the price more or less than $5.99 a pound? Geese are nuisances that are chased away from golf courses and parks so I gotta believe they get shot and cooked every know and then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 12:57 PM

8,118 posts, read 7,492,226 times
Well I called Gary's Meat Market in Stroudsburg, and they used to sell goose but at ten dollars the pound for a fresh goose they stopped selling it. (In this economy... et cetera)

So $5.99 for a frozen goose seems like a bargain by comparison.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:30 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,199,214 times
I found this one site on cooking geese: Roast Goose Recipe, How to Roast a Goose | Simply Recipes. We never had any luck. We probably over-cooked and turned the bird into liver tasting leather. I did have one friend that used to crock-pot his Canadian Geese and it actually made it edible to me. I always figured that we were overrun with Canadian Geese because they are so gamy and tough - not everybody can cook one.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:36 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,277,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
No, I mean the bird kind that you cook and eat!

Just saw a frozen goose in the Shop Rite here in NJ, priced five dollars ninety-nine cents the pound which extends out to $83.03 for a 13.86 pound bird.

Anyone know of a place that sells goose in NEPA, and is the price more or less than $5.99 a pound? Geese are nuisances that are chased away from golf courses and parks so I gotta believe they get shot and cooked every know and then.

Why don't you just catch your own?

I see them around here all the time, how hard could it be to just strangle one on the street and take the carcass home for processing?

Old 12-08-2013, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Why don't you just catch your own?

I see them around here all the time, how hard could it be to just strangle one on the street and take the carcass home for processing?
If you do not buy the proper licenses; you could pay considerably more for that goose than you would in the supermarket. They usually don't stand around and let you grab them. And I don't think that strangling is an approved method to harvest - although I did not see it listed at our GC's website: Wildlife.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:22 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,972,611 times
Those suckers are mean! I was doing a show at a resort in the Poconos. I was "shot" just outside the dining room and the "security people" carried me to the rear door, where I was to scurry over to the "safe room" where I would hide until the "mystery" was solved.

On my way, there was a small stream and some geese had taken up residence there. Picture it: It's dark. I'm carrying my shoes and a tablecloth. (that's what they covered me with when they hauled my "corpse" out of the dining room) It's drizzling. And I can barely see the path in front of me when I came upon a goose who spread his wings (huge!) and began to chase me, flapping and honking and trying to bite me.

Fortunately, he didn't catch me. Unfortunately, I did manage to step in some of the "remains" of his dinner.

Don't plan on "catching" a goose and strangling it. Either pay up or skip the goose and roast a duck. ($2.49 a pound at ALDI)

Old 12-08-2013, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Those suckers are mean! I was doing a show at a resort in the Poconos. I was "shot" just outside the dining room and the "security people" carried me to the rear door, where I was to scurry over to the "safe room" where I would hide until the "mystery" was solved.

On my way, there was a small stream and some geese had taken up residence there. Picture it: It's dark. I'm carrying my shoes and a tablecloth. (that's what they covered me with when they hauled my "corpse" out of the dining room) It's drizzling. And I can barely see the path in front of me when I came upon a goose who spread his wings (huge!) and began to chase me, flapping and honking and trying to bite me.

Fortunately, he didn't catch me. Unfortunately, I did manage to step in some of the "remains" of his dinner.

Don't plan on "catching" a goose and strangling it. Either pay up or skip the goose and roast a duck. ($2.49 a pound at ALDI)
Thanks to the goose you were quick on feet! Of course your toes probably did not smell that great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania