Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 05:43 PM

24,128 posts, read 32,512,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank754 View Post
Sorry to hear that, Sheena, I hope he is doing well and recovering. Just spoke to you guys on the phone a few weeks ago. I guess you are right, with neighbors like that, it's best not to stay on that block. Here in W-B, things vary from block to block. The main thing is to know who your neighbors are before choosing a home. We live on Prospect St, about 1/3 of the way between Loomis and Grove. We got very lucky, as the middle part of the block has a lot of good folks. At least 4 of the homes are elderly ladies who have lived here all their lives, and who get me to do handyman work sometimes. Our other next door neighbors are from Argentina, but very upright and Jehovah's witnesses, they love to garden to and have about a dozen parrots they let outside in their cages. Some of the others are good working younger families. About 2 doors down are some black people, but the dad works for Gatorade as a dispatcher (I think), they have a pool and their kids are sometimes all over the street but little and harmless. At both ends of the block (Loomis & Grove ends), it's a bit more ghettoish looking, but being a one way street, we hardly have any traffic or too many people wandering around. In any case, I did (at one point) put bars on my cellar window to keep pipe stealers out, and a metal mesh on the back (kitchen) door, so someone couldn't just break the glass and get in. At night, we put those angular poles (like police locks) between the doorknobs and floor so they can't be kicked in. But the neighbors are always looking out for each other and said I didn't really need to go to that trouble, they've never had any problems on this block. We do have a shotgun, just in case, a security system I installed, and night security lights. Anyway, that's so sad to hear, I'd be terrified if someone approached me like that. I'd like to use my car less, but still wouldn't want to walk to the grocery store at night around here, several blocks away. You just never know. The Turkey Hill on Hazle seems to get robbed every couple weeks, sometimes even in the morning. That's the one thing that would be a lot more comforting, not having to worry about crime as much. I did get a carry permit about a year ago, but I've never considered using it yet. I have some pepper spray canisters, but also, it rarely occurs to me to take one with me. I do feel for all of us older folks who like getting back to a walkable urban lifestyle with all the amenities nearby, and hope things will improve, maybe when the economy improves. Other than that, I agree with scrantonluna, when a bunch of idiots are hanging out and causing mischief, just call the cops so they start driving around your block more often and know they're being watched
Thanks Frank you are right, it's block by block.

We live on a block where the bad are equal to the good in quantity. The good are afraid for their lives. Some bought houses - and put granite and stainless kitchens in them. The kitchens may be worth more than the homes. They are first time home owners and some have every member of the family over 15 with a job.

They are frightened. We can move. they can't. We kept the 1970s kitchen and replaced some appliances.We didn't go crazy. It wasn't our first house and it will not be our last.

The nice neighbors are frightened and don't want to get involved. I understand them.
I do not understand the others.

Not all of the bad are black or Hispanic. Or the other way around. One of the woman heckling me from her stoop was white. Our really nice next door neighbors are Hispanic/ black.

There is a white supremacist family on the block who is friendly, but we don't want to get involved with any of their solutions. They are far from squeaky clean themselves. (won't get into it) They brought us soup and a peach pie. We can't share their sentiments, but they are a product of their background too.

Just as blocks in Wilkes-Barre can change by block - this block has become worse since we moved in. Up and down but a general downward trend.

It also seems that once a block becomes bad, it's bad for good. People tolerate things on this block. People hang out here who don't live here. Because most of the people tolerate it. Where as 2 blocks away, no one does.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:49 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,104,942 times
I am so sorry that this happened to your husband, Sheena. My stomach turned reading about this. Those neighbors are absolute animals, not human beings.

I'm especially disheartened because I know how proud you are of your home, and now you feel unsafe in it. No one should have that happen to them.

I wish your husband a safe recovery. Please keep us updated on his progress.

As far as having a gun is concerned, Pa. passed the Castle Doctrine last year -- a good move for cases like this.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:04 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,879,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
We have the same laws here.
Thanks for telling me, as I had been out of NJ for the past 8 years, returning only recently. I just remember my Dad telling me when we were younger, that if we heard anyone breaking in to get him (their bedroom was in the back of the house) His gun was locked in a box...I remember him saying that you had to wait until they were in the house to shoot.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:32 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,676,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I live in Wilkes-Barre. I think that the Police that I have met are all exceptionally nice - and understaffed.

We have several dogs two look quite scary. Part pit. I used to be involved with rescue - I feel sorry for these dogs who are abused by these creeps. I still do. However it happened so fast and the dogs were in the family room upstairs.

My gun feelings have changed. I am more open to them since moving here.

But if I had one, out of anger I may well have shot that dirt bag! Then where would I be today?

The cops for some reason can't go into the building today - they were not called by the hospital. We did not know his name until later, when our neighbors told us. The nice neighbors.

My husband was beaten senseless and he has four stitches in his nose. He almost had a heart attack. He suffered hypokalemia and a heart arrhythmia last night.

And that piece of crap is walking around without a shirt strutting life a rooster. He is on the lose. They are partying and laughing. They seem to be high 24/7. Why the police can't come NOW is beyond me!

We live in North End. Near King's.
Sheena, First off, put a no trespassing sign up, anywhere, but it needs to be on your lot. This helps the police to have something to charge someone with. I was told to do that once when my daughter had an "old boyfriend" stalker.

Then, dear friend.....Get a For Sale sign and be out of there.
Its nice you have a big home, a cozy nice porch, but look around you. The danger is not worth it at all.
What was done to your husband is not acceptable. He was beaten, by thugs who should be in jail for a lesson instead of walking like a rooster outside your home.
No home is worth living in with that type of atmosphere, no less danger.
I'd worry about my kids along with what they might do to your husband again. Whats to stop them?

You need to move to a safe location. That has to be very important to you. I once loved Wilkes Barre too. I think it is a beautiful place. But, if the town and the police are not on top of this it will only get worse. They go where they know they can get away with "stuff."

I don't even know what town to tell you to head to. All I know is your safety and daily living has to come first. I am so sorry to hear about your husband and hope he will be well. I'm truely hoping you'll find a way to move and live happilly. It just won't be there.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:55 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,961,106 times
Sheena, I hope you and your family can find a resolution to this horror and find a safer place to live. Regards to the hubs.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Sheena, First off, put a no trespassing sign up, anywhere, but it needs to be on your lot. This helps the police to have something to charge someone with. I was told to do that once when my daughter had an "old boyfriend" stalker.

Then, dear friend.....Get a For Sale sign and be out of there.
Its nice you have a big home, a cozy nice porch, but look around you. The danger is not worth it at all.
What was done to your husband is not acceptable. He was beaten, by thugs who should be in jail for a lesson instead of walking like a rooster outside your home.
No home is worth living in with that type of atmosphere, no less danger.
I'd worry about my kids along with what they might do to your husband again. Whats to stop them?

You need to move to a safe location. That has to be very important to you. I once loved Wilkes Barre too. I think it is a beautiful place. But, if the town and the police are not on top of this it will only get worse. They go where they know they can get away with "stuff."

I don't even know what town to tell you to head to. All I know is your safety and daily living has to come first. I am so sorry to hear about your husband and hope he will be well. I'm truely hoping you'll find a way to move and live happilly. It just won't be there.
'Thank you Summering. It is more important than anything. Getting those signs ASAP!

Old 08-11-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Sheena, I hope you and your family can find a resolution to this horror and find a safer place to live. Regards to the hubs.

Thanks TheaterGypsy. - Sheena2

Old 08-11-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
I am so sorry that this happened to your husband, Sheena. My stomach turned reading about this. Those neighbors are absolute animals, not human beings.

I'm especially disheartened because I know how proud you are of your home, and now you feel unsafe in it. No one should have that happen to them.

I wish your husband a safe recovery. Please keep us updated on his progress.

As far as having a gun is concerned, Pa. passed the Castle Doctrine last year -- a good move for cases like this.
The ting is they did not cross my threshold. Or did they?

Now I have been thinking that if I had a gun I would have used it. And I might be in jail.

But there would be one less creep able to reproduce, if you get my drift.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:17 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,644,332 times
Even if you plan to move, you have to clean things up first or you won't get dollar one for your house.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:24 PM

109 posts, read 163,083 times
So sorry to read this, first of I hope your husband is OK and second I hope you find some kind of resolution to this situation and fell safe again soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania