Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 08:45 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,008,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I was surprised by the numbers of black folks I saw in ND. Didn't expect to see that in ND at all. Are these African immigrants or American blacks mostly? What is bringing them to ND?

I know there are other rural parts of the US like Portland ME (not traditionally a very diverse area) where NGO's bought in large numbers of Somalians and placed them there (some folks in the state were not huge fans of the program). I really wonder how this all works out.
Majority are African immigrants....majority from war torn countries such as Somalia. In ND the majority are placed here by Lutheran Social Services with Grand Forks and Fargo seeing the bulk of them in ND.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 12:53 PM

3 posts, read 3,405 times
I can’t speak for anyone else -I’m about to be new to area, but i can say with much confidence that I’d definitely welcome you!
(White female w Hispanic last name)

Old 09-19-2018, 12:23 PM

9,424 posts, read 11,179,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
This is the most ridculous post I have read yet. Have you ever been here? I checked you on your other messages and said "I am from Massachusetts and have a mini farm in Vermont". For someone who lives here, your description is offbase and incorrect. People here are very welcoming of anyone.

Dan
Thanks, great post Dan. I've been to plenty of those "diversity" and "sensitivity" training sessions. You'd have to be an idiot to think they benefit anyone except the agencies that profit from putting them on. They're guilt-trip manipulation sessions.

I wouldn't expect someone who's enthusiastic about being from Taxxachusetts to understand any of that.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:57 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
Should bring in all the refugees from Somalia. Then you'll have your ethnic diversity.
Yeah, "Refugees". The only thing they're fleeing from is themselves.

But as soon as all those "charities" bring them over, it's we who need to flee from them.

There's a reason s-hole countries are s-holes: it's the people. Nothing but chaotic, backward, and dysfunctional cultures that produce very little.

By the way, your and my taxpayer dollars go toward funding a lot of the "charities" that work to bring people over and help them apply for welfare programs, Catholic Charities and Lutheran Social Services in particular, and they operate all over the country.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:44 AM

22 posts, read 43,153 times
InchingWest---Excellent, telling post about a matter that many should be far more concerned about.

Old 04-24-2020, 11:10 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,544,095 times
My family lived in Bismarck during the mid 70s. My family and paternal uncle's family were one of the few Asian families there. Not sure how many Asians live there now. It was an interesting time. I never saw a black or hispanic person there until my family moved to Texas in 1979. We were treated well in Bismarck back then. No issues at all, but then again, i was young to really notice. All the white kids treated me well.

Last edited by JL; 04-24-2020 at 11:21 PM..

Old 04-26-2020, 01:17 PM

298 posts, read 751,369 times
Good afternoon JL:

In the Spring of 2020, there are still few Asian Americans in North Dakota, but certainly more than in the mid 70's.

Most Asians in ND are either affiliated with the local university or work in health care.

Minneapolis-St. Paul has large populations of Hmong refugees from Laos and Karen refugees from Myanmar. The Twin Cities also has the biggest community of Tibetans in the United States.

Across the international border, Winnipeg has the largest Filipino population, per-capita, in Canada, Regina has a sizable Filipino community as well.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:06 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,519,582 times
I worked a week in Jamestown, SD just before Christmas maybe 14 years ago. And I had to be outside one morning in -33 degree F. It was so sunny, and the sky was an incredible color of blue.

But within 5 minutes, my hands were burning and I was miserable. I found out quickly that so many area farmers not raising cattle spend their winters in Florida. Farms were often 10+ miles apart, and the countryside is sparse with people. I locked my rental car keys in the car idling, and fortunately the only locksmith for 50 miles was across the street.

At the time, the only cellphone signals were on the Interstate highways and in the larger cities.

I quickly figured out no place that far north would I care to live in due to poor weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota