Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 12:11 PM

17 posts, read 63,973 times

Advertisements

Prescrpition drugs and weed seem to be the most widly abused drugs in Fargo. I've also heard ecstasy has been pretty popular lately. Alcohol is by far the most used substance, but it is widely accepted. The fact that the culture in the upper midwest is widely tolerant of drinking (in fact encourages it) and all the university students add to it as well. Fargo is the 5th "drunkest" city according to Men's Health, but we are also in the top 10 for healthiest cities, so I guess it balances out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 07:27 PM

231 posts, read 736,740 times
there are three types of lies:
1. lies
2. damn lies
3. statistics

with statistics, you are using the truth to lie. in saying that fargo is one of the top 10 healthiest cities, you aren't citing why. in the "drunkest" statement, you aren't being clear about how you define "drunk" in the city sense. i'm not telling you to offer this information, but at least cite the specific place so we can confirm your statement. from my perspective, one can't be "healthy" if one is consuming significant quantities of alcohol.

north dakota, south dakota, minnesota, and wisconsin are disgusting in their abuse of alcohol. it's not because there is a lack of things to do, it's because that is the thing to do. getting out of this hole requires a paradigm shift, which starts by recognizing this perpetual intoxication as a problem; as a community, we need to start encouraging other activities, things that don't permit or tolerate inebriation.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:44 AM

397 posts, read 1,399,883 times
I understand people in ND are the friendliest, least neurotic in the nation so probably not that much compared to other states. Here are some stats:

Adult Tables, State Estimates from the 2005-2006 NSDUH, SAMHSA OAS

Old 01-10-2010, 08:48 AM

177 posts, read 425,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acfreema View Post
1. lies
2. damn lies
3. statistics

with statistics, you are using the truth to lie. in saying that fargo is one of the top 10 healthiest cities, you aren't citing why. in the "drunkest" statement, you aren't being clear about how you define "drunk" in the city sense. i'm not telling you to offer this information, but at least cite the specific place so we can confirm your statement. from my perspective, one can't be "healthy" if one is consuming significant quantities of alcohol.

north dakota, south dakota, minnesota, and wisconsin are disgusting in their abuse of alcohol. it's not because there is a lack of things to do, it's because that is the thing to do. getting out of this hole requires a paradigm shift, which starts by recognizing this perpetual intoxication as a problem; as a community, we need to start encouraging other activities, things that don't permit or tolerate inebriation.
Haha...this is kinda funny thing to talk about. Healthy....I don't get it. Look around...and down 13th Ave. South in Fargo going west...Every stop light is a restaurant or two or three all the way to west Fargo. How can you be healthy if there are so many restaurants around...not to mention junk fast food restaurants all around? Talking about overweight problem.

Drinking problem....it seems as though there are lots of drinking places (bars...taverns) all over town as well...not just the ones that zoned to the downtown district. And have you guys ever noticed this too....if there is a bar or tarvern on that block...you would find a place to worship near by. It's like to go binge then go repent afterward combination.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:48 PM

128 posts, read 282,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDawg View Post
I'd like to meet your high school English teacher. Your post makes my head ache.
LOL! Exactly!

Old 01-10-2010, 09:02 PM

17 posts, read 63,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acfreema View Post
1. lies
2. damn lies
3. statistics

First off, clearly you don't understand sarcasm. That is why I pointed out the apparent contradiction. I was merely stating a simple bit of trivial information. I cited Men's Health, which being just a simple health magazine probably isn't very reliable. You want a link too? Fine, I'll provide that, but this is an internet messageboard and not an academic paper. Also, you're assessment of statistics is somewhat wrong, as stats can be very useful if used correctly. America's Drunkest Cities: Men's Health.com The Best Places to Live: Men's Health.com

Anyway, like I said they don't say what criteria they used to determine this. As I said earlier I was merely pointing out the contradiction.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:21 PM

20 posts, read 67,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrasurf View Post
Cheer up, Nodaks (I can use that term because I used to be one)! Statistic wise, North Dakota has about half the drug use that bordering state, Montana does!

Old 11-01-2015, 08:20 AM

1 posts, read 673 times
The drugs are bad here. I am from Milwaukee. I see more problems here. My husband actually found a body from a person who had OD and someone else dumped his body on the job site. Meth is horrible and the state does not have any help for people. There really is nothing else to do in north dakota so kids turn to drugs out of boredom. There are very little natural resources or man-made destinations for kids to go to. It's like living in a desert. I would not want to raise a family here. Too bad the oil boom didn't happen somewhere nice, fortunately we only have to live here a few years.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:27 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,722,614 times
The problem is North Dakota has extreme penalties for cannabis, which doesn't do any significant harm to user & has helped hundreds of medical conditions, & doesn't cause any harm to others. Just look up the ND penalties for cannabis on norml.org/ It's enough to make it unavailable & push people who need something into worse drugs, where the dealer gets about same penalty The CIA is said by many to be world's biggest drug dealer, approved by Democrats & Republicans.

Most North Dakotans are what I call *abnormally* honest. While this is what I consider a very positive trait overall, 1 problem is that honest people generally expect others to be honest & this can cause too much faith in our govt, which includes many that will help kill harmless people after being bribed.

Sorry I can't feel more cheerful, but I have what I think is MS, one of the conditions that as a rule is only adequately helped by medicinal cannabis oil, which was in pharmacies 1850-1937. My state has most limited medical cannabis bill in the country (cops orders), with MS as 1 of 9 conditions allowed out of 250 it has been proven to help. I need to find one of the few providers that was too terrified by cops to agree to being on a published list. Rest too frightened to even be on unpublished list.

I read decades ago about 1 town in ND, a border town where drugs might be smuggled in, but the police chief was 93 years old! So, maybe less control than in big cities where cops seem to prefer to go after cannabis dealers/growers/users than solve murders. Best wishes, all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschott View Post
I hear all the time on the local news about drug use in North Dakota, mainly Meth, but is it really as bad as they say?

Also, how many people are actually using? Being a pretty conservative state, I would think that would be a low number.

Finally, besides Meth is anything else much of a problem? I could see Marijuana being used but things like Crack, Coke, Heroin and such...wouldn't that be extremely expensive (thus rarely used) in North Dakota (since we are in the north and far away from the coasts or Mexican boarder?

Perhaps I am just a bit sheltered in a good neighborhood so-to-speak, so that is why I may not see the problems as much as someone living down town Fargo may. I would think Fargo, Grand Forks, and Bismark being the major centers of any activity. Small towns I would think would be fairly dry of drugs (but hard on liquor).

How bad is it really?

Old 11-02-2015, 12:03 PM

24 posts, read 69,807 times
Wow! What possessed you to reply to a 6 year old thread!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota