Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 08:57 PM

854 posts, read 1,701,500 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering how this park compares to Badlands Nat. Park. I was there years ago, and really liked it.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2021, 12:29 AM

No one ? Which park do you like better and why ?

Thanks.

Old 09-26-2021, 07:25 AM

507 posts, read 661,522 times
They are sort of similar geologically. I've been to Badlands more times than I can remember, and cover the area around TR in my work. I stay in Medora in the winter time. Medora is really quiet in winter. It's the county seat of Billings County, but the town pretty much revolves around TRNP and the resulting tourism. It's a cool looking town, and would have a lot to offer in summer, although then it's a busy place.

The hills themselves are more colorful than Badlands. It's similar driving thru-sometimes you are down below, sometimes up above, looking down. More foliage is interspersed in out of the formations in TR than in Badlands. Same kind of light effect-where you want to see them at sunrise or sunset, and I'd say the hiking trails are pretty similar, too. In Badlands there are little lodges and a restaurant/trading post right in the center of the park, so it's nice to stay there. Of course both have their campgrounds. But for lodges and restaurants at TR you have to go back to Medora, which is right at the park entrance. I'd say in autumn, TR is probably more colorful, with some of the various trees changing as well as the colors of the terrain.

Old 09-26-2021, 03:04 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,465 times
I have been to both several times. Badlands NP in SD is drier, more austere, but really beautiful rock formations. Theodore Roosevelt NP in ND is much greener, and seemed to have fewer tourists and therefore more peaceful, which made it easier to enjoy the wildlife. I enjoyed them both & will likely return.

Old 11-04-2021, 07:15 PM

Thank you. I've read that TRNP is much leas crowded also, which sounds good to me.

Old 11-05-2021, 11:11 AM

4,951 posts, read 2,706,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
Thank you. I've read that TRNP is much leas crowded also, which sounds good to me.
North Dakota is dead last among the states for tourism. Since I am now a part time resident of North Dakota that is just fine with me. Clean air, clean skies, peace, and plenty of areas to stretch out. Great and friendly people too. Looking forward to spending summers at my new residence there. Will definitely be visiting TRNP next summer.

Old 11-05-2021, 03:00 PM

705 posts, read 504,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
North Dakota is dead last among the states for tourism. Since I am now a part time resident of North Dakota that is just fine with me. Clean air, clean skies, peace, and plenty of areas to stretch out. Great and friendly people too. Looking forward to spending summers at my new residence there. Will definitely be visiting TRNP next summer.
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Do us all a favor and delete this post. I don’t think the Dakotas would appreciate going full Idaho.

Old 11-08-2021, 02:18 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,706,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Do us all a favor and delete this post. I don’t think the Dakotas would appreciate going full Idaho.
I think North Dakota is too remote to go Idaho. It is too far from just about anywhere, with brutally cold winters that will keep many away or at least choose South Dakota instead with a less severe climate. The area that I have settled in North Dakota is losing population, not gaining. It isn't for everyone.

Old 11-09-2021, 05:35 AM

705 posts, read 504,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
I think North Dakota is too remote to go Idaho. It is too far from just about anywhere, with brutally cold winters that will keep many away or at least choose South Dakota instead with a less severe climate. The area that I have settled in North Dakota is losing population, not gaining. It isn't for everyone.
Same here, 2020 census shows my county lost people. I like that news.

Old 11-10-2021, 08:01 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Just want to chime in to say that I just finished The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris, and it was very good. Entertaining, plus it gave a real "feel" for North Dakota winters!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota