Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 01:12 PM

20 posts, read 19,681 times

Advertisements

I need to know because I wanna move to Bismarck from Bristol to escape the heat and humidity and to also get some snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2021, 08:22 PM

4,952 posts, read 2,707,872 times
Being in the upper midwest and touching Canada, it would seem that North Dakota would be quite a bit cooler than Tennessee. And it is, in the winter. But summers in North Dakota can get hot, very hot. It is generally less humid though. High temperatures this June and July have been in the 80s and 90s, with some 100s. So North Dakota can experience hot summers.

And North Dakota does get snow, but not as much as other parts of the midwest such as Michigan. However, North Dakota can get bitterly cold in the winter and almost always does. Occasional blizzards can also happen.

I think that the greatest challenge for a person from the South would be the bitterly cold and long winters. On the other hand, the low population density makes for clearer skies and plenty of fresh air (but not currently with the forest fires going on out west and dirtying up ND's air).

I would suggest coming to see ND in both summer and winter and seeing if you like the conditions.

Old 08-03-2021, 06:56 AM

2,036 posts, read 1,602,374 times
ND usually does not get the long stretches of high heat and humidity east TN does. Temps can be in the upper 90’s for two days in a row, then cool off to the mid 70’s to low 80’s for several days.

Old 08-15-2021, 06:33 PM

828 posts, read 647,741 times
Typically, summers are not hot for that long and the humidity is lower than in TN. In terms of absolute temperatures, you will get heat waves in ND, but cooler nights usually and some cooler days.

Old 11-17-2021, 12:39 PM

3 posts, read 3,692 times
What I like best about North Dakota is the fresh air.
What I don't like most about North Dakota are the mosquitos.
I think the majority of the people are friendly and helpful.
When my brother-in-law died suddenly, word went out that his crops needed harvesting. The neighbors got together and within one week there were 13 combines, with trucks, that came and harvested the crop. My sister was in tears with the outpouring of support. People, some complete strangers, dropped off enough food that she and my nephew did not have to eat for a month. It was amazing.

Old 01-07-2022, 06:31 AM

42 posts, read 35,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalTV View Post
I need to know because I wanna move to Bismarck from Bristol to escape the heat and humidity and to also get some snow.
We had a girl move up from Tennessee at my previous job. When we got an inch of snow in November, she was amazed that the schools didn't close and kids were playing outside. (We told her they don't close unless the roads are impassable, and kids play outside until it's below -15F.) When she asked when the snow would melt, she was pretty shocked when we told her "April."

Basically you need to be prepared for temps below freezing for 5-6 months out of the year, snow that stays on the ground from November through April or May because the ground freezes and it will never melt, a near total lack of spring and fall, and a hot, dry summer. If that's what you like, great, but I don't think it's an ideal climate for most people.

Old 01-07-2022, 07:03 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookel View Post
We had a girl move up from Tennessee at my previous job. When we got an inch of snow in November, she was amazed that the schools didn't close and kids were playing outside. (We told her they don't close unless the roads are impassable, and kids play outside until it's below -15F.) When she asked when the snow would melt, she was pretty shocked when we told her "April."

Basically you need to be prepared for temps below freezing for 5-6 months out of the year, snow that stays on the ground from November through April or May because the ground freezes and it will never melt, a near total lack of spring and fall, and a hot, dry summer. If that's what you like, great, but I don't think it's an ideal climate for most people.
The longer snow season is far nicer when you're closer to the Great Lakes region that has lots of trails and things to do outside out in the deep snow cover.

Old 01-07-2022, 12:47 PM

12 posts, read 19,520 times
Question: What do people in North Dakota do in the summertime?

Answer: If it falls on the 4th of July they go fishing and have a picnic.

Old 01-08-2022, 07:26 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalTV View Post
Definitely less humid but still can get hot and humid in the summer. Plenty of cold and snow.

Old 01-09-2022, 11:10 AM

42 posts, read 35,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffcreek View Post
Question: What do people in North Dakota do in the summertime?

Answer: If it falls on the 4th of July they go fishing and have a picnic.
The joke we usually tell around here is "what are the seasons in North Dakota?"

Answer: Winter and Road Construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota