Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2016, 11:28 AM

5 posts, read 6,176 times

Advertisements

My work relocated me to Minot I already have a house on 11ave North east is that a decent area? also how are the schools and how is it to raise a family there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 12:53 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,219 times
One of my oldest, dearest friends recently moved to Minot for her husband's job. They seem to really like it there a lot. She's an artist and he's a manager of a big box store. In fact, she likes it a LOT more than she had anticipated. She moved with the stipulation that after a year they'd consider moving back. But I don't think that's going to happen. They really seem to enjoy the area. The only thing she had a problem with was the lack of recycling facilities in Minot. I believe they're working on that, however.

I know my post doesn't necessarily answer the questions you've posed, other than the raising a family part. But I hope someone will have the answers for you about the schools and the area in which you've found a home. I hope you'll like it there.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:45 PM

576 posts, read 831,416 times
From what I recall, that's a decent part of town. It's been about 20 years though, so a lot could have changed. Can't speak to the schools, but it should be a good place to raise a family. There are some negative influences in Minot from the oil boom (which is more of a bust than a boom right now!), and to a lesser extent, the air base, but I doubt it will be a problem. Depending on where you are coming from, your biggest concern should be the winter! It gets brutally cold up there with the potential for lots of snow.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:36 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
Minot is a trippy town when you drive in from the north. Its flat land -- over a hill -- boom big town. I kind of like it. It catches you off guard the first time

Old 06-11-2016, 12:26 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
My wife is from Minot and we go back frequently as she has many relatives in the city and nearby. Minot was growing so fast during the oil boom years as there was also an increase in population at the nearby air base north of town. My in-laws are kind of glad it is slowing down some....traffic was a bit crazy. But Minot itself is ok....you have the north hill and south hill and then the valley. The Mouse River flood in 2011 really did a lot of damage to homes near the river and slowly but surely coming back. That and the oil boom and air base personnel increase hit and caused rents and housing to zoom way high. Things are settling down a bit.

Schools are generally good....My wife went through the Catholic schools and spent most of her time at Little Flower and then Bishop Ryan HS. The public HS is large but good. They could use another HS though and they have had some issues with overcrowding in recent years.

11th Ave NE? I know the main part is down in the valley closer to the river and in an older part of town. There could be other scattered sections of 11 Ave NE north toward the airport.

Overalll Minot is fine....not my cup of tea as I dont like the hills and they city could do a better job keeping it up.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:56 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnote23 View Post
My work relocated me to Minot I already have a house on 11ave North east is that a decent area? also how are the schools and how is it to raise a family there.
If you're buying I would stay out of the flood plain. I'm not sure if this area is or not. Schools are good and it's a good town to raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota