Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2006, 09:04 PM

6 posts, read 39,546 times

Advertisements

Hello

My husband and I are considering moving to ND from WA, mostly because of housing prices. We have 6 children who are African-American. Can you please give us an honest idea of what the climate is like in ND toward black people and if there are any areas that are better or worse for a family like ours.

If you'd like to email me privately, my email is maevel@yahoo.com.

My husband is a commercial electrician and looking for permanent, non-seasonal work - he's an older guy who knows how to get the job done right the first time! Any job leads would be appreciated!!!

Thanks much,
Maeve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2006, 11:54 PM

240 posts, read 1,423,708 times
I wish I had the answer to your question too because I would like to adopt at least one child within the next few years and I do not know what the race of the child will be. I have heard that Mohall serves Minot Air Force Base and generally speaking, communities that serve the military are less likely to show extreme prejudice and ignorance toward people of other races because they have been exposed to all races over a longer period of time. Some of the towns I have explored over the internet in North Dakota have a population of 150 people, so in a worse case scenario, I have considered the possibility of buying a big house and adopting 10 children and then my children will make up about ten percent of the general community and probably fifty percent of the school age population.

Old 11-06-2006, 12:08 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
Hello

I really dont think you will have much of a problem anywhere you want to live. I do think the bigger cities would be better....mainly because the kids would stand out less and have a much better chance of being the only non-white students in school. There is a sizable number of Native Americans in ND, followed by lesser hispanics and blacks and others.

Considering the job your husband wants, it would follow that there would be more opportunities in a bigger city as well. Fargo is the biggest city in ND and Bismarck is second followed by Grand Forks (near where I live and work).

Fargo has the most diverse population with a major state university there...with Grand Forks also more diverse due to the University of North Dakota and a nearby air force base. Bismarck has smaller colleges and is the state capital. All three cities are growing, with Bismarck especially seeing a very rapid expansion in commercial and restaurant businesses. Minot is also a choice, as their is a large air force base nearby and thus its population is more diverse than you would think.

I would try Bismarck first...as that seems to be the new growth zone in the past year. Housing prices have risen in the cities somewhat from 5 years ago...(likely still lower than your used too) so it may not quite a cheap as you envision.

As for jobs....I know each city or region in the state has a manpower of North Dakota office as one way of finding jobs. Bismarck in particular has had a problem finding enough people for jobs and are really looking for people.

Good luck....

Dan

Old 11-06-2006, 02:07 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Joan View Post
I wish I had the answer to your question too because I would like to adopt at least one child within the next few years and I do not know what the race of the child will be. I have heard that Mohall serves Minot Air Force Base and generally speaking, communities that serve the military are less likely to show extreme prejudice and ignorance toward people of other races because they have been exposed to all races over a longer period of time. Some of the towns I have explored over the internet in North Dakota have a population of 150 people, so in a worse case scenario, I have considered the possibility of buying a big house and adopting 10 children and then my children will make up about ten percent of the general community and probably fifty percent of the school age population.
Actually Minot Air Force Base kids go to Minot Public Schools... there is no town near the base per se...with the closest being Minot about 15 miles or so south on 83. My wife is from Minot and the base there has a large amount of people....she said making Minot pretty diverse....more so than Grand Forks as the air base near us is smaller.

Dan

Old 11-22-2006, 11:15 PM

7 posts, read 58,786 times
Don't take this wrong, because it is not intended as a prejudicial remark.

Outside of the major cities African Americans are more of a novelty to the locals than a focus of prejudice.

There are just not that many black people here, so there is little cultural bias one way or the other. The hardest battle might be fighting the MTV and other TV stereotypes.

The kids generally tend to be color blind, (a potential playmate is a potential playmate!) and the adults tend to measure people by who they are and what they do, not what they look like.

Old 11-28-2006, 10:51 PM

1 posts, read 4,782 times
Default hello

I am actually from North Dakota and it is funny since I used to live in Seattle along with many other cities in Washington. The winters are usually pretty cold average of 20 below zero F in January. This winter hasnt been so bad so far the coldest has beene 10 degrees. If you are wanting to move to ND I would recommend Fargo which is the biggest city or Grand Forks which is where I live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota