Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,286 times

Advertisements

True Minot story: Spring 2015, young white males from Texas (said their truck license plates) moved in across the street from a middle-aged black couple, he a retired service man. In July the Texans installed a large front yard pole and attached a huge confederate flag. Within weeks someone vandalized the pole and shredded the flag. What is ironic is that the black couple had 2/3 sons in the air force. One son died, fighting for freedom so those Texans could put up a southern flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,250 times
Since the previous poster hijacked the thread for her amusement I would like to present the other side.

I don't get you kinds of people.

So ANY flag from the South means hate? Or represents slavery? Really??

Slavery was ALIVE & WELL under the American flag for 244 years!!!
Slavery was NEVER under the Confederate Flag.
The Stars & Bars was a BATTLE FLAG. It was used as a battle flag like any other battle flag used by military units throughout history.

For most, it stands for heritage...to some, mostly from the Demorat Party...it was used to represent another thing. It was the Democrat Party who supported, funded and kept alive the K.K.K. and installed this flag back above several State Houses.

The Swastika has history going back five thousand years! Because of Hitler it is "bad" symbol.

But to this day it is a sacred symbol in Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Odinism. It is a common sight on temples or houses in India or Indonesia. Swastikas also have an ancient history in Europe, appearing on artifacts from pre-Christian European cultures.

Look it up.

I'm the son and husband of immigrants of "Color", so my children are "Tri-racial".

I have no problem with people of "Color". But being from FL. I am a Southerner and would proudly fly my Rebel flag if I didn't have to worry about hateful people coming onto my property to vandalize it.

Old 12-05-2015, 01:45 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times
Gator girl,

It seems as if you don't feel free to just go where you want to? Is that true? If it is I was not aware that non-whites feel they have to investigate racial matters before they move anywhere. Is your quest done out of fear or curiosity?

I am Canadian and have not heard of this before.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,735 times
My son just got a job in Minot. He is black. I am worrIed. Are there any diverse churches? Is interracial dating tolerated? Is liberal thought tolerated? I would love it if he could just be himself. He usually dates black ladies but he is open to dating all races of women. I am worried that he will he hated and in danger if he tries to become a part of the community.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:29 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahenderso View Post
My son just got a job in Minot. He is black. I am worrIed. Are there any diverse churches? Is interracial dating tolerated? Is liberal thought tolerated? I would love it if he could just be himself. He usually dates black ladies but he is open to dating all races of women. I am worried that he will he hated and in danger if he tries to become a part of the community.
My wife is from Minot and we go to Minot frequently. The air base is in Minot and has a large number based there which adds a lot to the diversity. There would be no issues there for a black man....North Dakota is actually I feel more welcoming of other races than the south where I grew up (Kentucky). But I wouldnt worry.... Minot is way more diverse in race and religion than you think.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:52 PM

173 posts, read 245,467 times
Quote:
Um I'm a black man in ND, and my wife is Asian-American. Race is not even a factor here. And hypothetically, even if it was (which it isn't), I would never let that influence where I lived, because if I did, then I would be giving in to the ignorance. Of course, that was strictly hypothetical, because I have never run into a problem here at all. And Im in a tiny town in the south of the state.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:45 AM

350 posts, read 570,275 times
Quote:
I can't speak for everyone, but I have no doubt he will be fine. Interracial dating is not an issue that I know of, and churches here should be accepting of people of all skin colors. I've been to quite a few churches in the area and none of them gave me the impression they weren't tolerant of black folks (as in, I saw black people at most of the churches and no one was treating them rudely that I could see). I would guess most people here tend to lean conservative politics-wise, but since we are a college/military town we have quite a few liberal-minded residents, so I'm sure he will find people who are more open to those views. I guarantee you he will not be hated or run out of town by anyone, assuming he is a good kid and doesn't bring trouble upon himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota