Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 11:07 AM

325 posts, read 1,549,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wozney View Post
I live in Deloraine Manitoba, and I don't know how far the closest Super Walmart is on the Canadian side, but to have one only half an hour away. Thats cool. Theres just alot of cooler stuff in the states to buy, (especially junk food) and everything is so much cheaper. With the dollar as it is, I'll be doing alot of shopping there. And i really hate Pamida, its just looks so icky. I do hope the Super pumper and Jack and Jill can survive it though
Wozney:
Yes! I agree about the Pamidas' We had one in Rugby and I always thought it looked rather disorganized. A poor version of a K-mart in my opinion. It sounds like there is both good/bad that our dollars are a near match again.
It sounds like less Americans will be going into Canada for vacation/shopping now because of similar dollar. Also heard that it will hurt Canadian manufacturing the most. Our Federal Government has really screwed everthing up here, and if Billary gets in as president, I might have to move to Canada(the other end of Lake Metigoshe)....
Yes, hopefully the local stores will not be affected too much with Walmart moving in. Walmart is not the whole answer store to everything, in my opinion. Here in California, Walmart is pretty much run by the Hispanics, so hard to communicate sometimes if you have a question.
We use to go to Bossivian a lot when I was growing up in Rugby, ND and would sit in our cars to play bingo for cars and cash. My dad's favorite fishing hole at that time was Killarney, so we went there often.
Do you are anyone else know anything about the lumber yard at Lake Metiegoshe? Was wondering how well stocked they were, but mostly if they sell hardwoods.
Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 07:45 PM

19 posts, read 86,906 times
I too am very happy that Walmart is opening in Bottineau.

If you aren't a local, you wouldn't know that the Red Owl/Super Valu on the main strip, burned down last fall (though I guess they are being forced to rebuild due to insurance reasons). So the only grocery store is the very small Jack & Jill on the North edge of town, prices are unbelievably high.

My grandparents own a farm up there, we forgot to get groceries before we left Fargo on Memorial Day weekend. Paid over a $100 for what would have been around $60-70 in Fargo at most.

Pamida is awful, always has been, poor selection and yes very disorganized.

I don't see who besides Pamida & the grocery store is going to be hurt by Walmart coming to town.

Will be nice to go buy everyday items, when I'm up visiting the area, without having to pay outrageous prices.

Oh and everyone forgets there is Subway & Taco Bell in Botno too.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:39 AM

8 posts, read 49,947 times
Default I live here

I live in Bottineau and I'm excited for Walmart. There are a lot of rich people in this town and they can afford to shop at the local stores, but some of us have to go to Minot to buy things that are affordable. I do a vast majority of my shopping at Walmart in Minot. Pamida has went up from where it used to be. I worked there about 3 years ago and they started me out at 5.35/hour! A lot of places in town only pay $6/per hour. I just found out that Pamida is now hiring at $7.50/hour so I'm assuming Walmart will start at the same or start at $8.00/hour. I don't think it will be a problem for them to get workers because of the college, highschool kids, and people from the smaller towns around Bottineau. Plus there are a lot of older people who will work there (even tho they don't have to work, since they have money) part-time. I heard that if Walmart wasn't going to be built in Botno it would have went to Rugby, that would have hurt this town. Has anyone heard what eating place will be there? I've heard McDonalds.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:56 PM

979 posts, read 3,669,854 times
If it is like the other Super Wal-marts in ND, it will be a Subway...unless Bott gets something different...I know the Super Walmarts in Williston, Dickinson, Minot, both in Bismarck all have Subways in them.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:39 PM

I don't think it will be a Subway, since the Subway on the same road as Walmart was just nicely remodeled a few years ago. But I could be wrong.

I'm hoping for something other then a McD's though....

Old 10-03-2007, 06:42 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,006,048 times
It wont be a Subway.... my wife's brother and his wife/family live in Bottineau and they visited two weeks ago. They said Subway was offered a space in Walmart, but they declined. They did not what would be in there....they heard Burger King as possible rumor.

Dan

Old 10-03-2007, 07:20 PM

Hey Dan,

I could live w/ a Burger King in Botno. A good place to grab a quick bite to eat. I'm not too big on Subway, and long ago grew tired of the the Taco Bell & the DQ there.

Jon in Fargo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
It wont be a Subway.... my wife's brother and his wife/family live in Bottineau and they visited two weeks ago. They said Subway was offered a space in Walmart, but they declined. They did not what would be in there....they heard Burger King as possible rumor.

Dan

Old 10-04-2007, 06:01 PM

103 posts, read 706,547 times
I read on MSN yesterday that WalMart once had mostly McDonalds instore, but now the majority are subways by 60%. It said Walmart is shying away from the greasy foods offered, and they are happy with the "no fry" odors that linger. Also, they said McDonald's are declining the newer Super Walmarts, because most of their business is drive through...Super Walmarts do not allow drive through windows for their tenants, so if it is McDonalds or Burger kIng, they will NOT get to have a drive through...I'm guessing for Botts population, they would want to rely on drive through to help increase their numbers...I know the Subway franchise owners in the other towns in ND were kind of pressured into opening in Walmart...it is determined by the franchise and Walmart, not the franchise owners...so...you might end up with 2 subways in town like Williston and Dickinson. But, maybe McDonald's or Burger King would build on one of the Super Walmarts outlet lots that are planned for Bottineau? That would be nice.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:49 PM

37 posts, read 156,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyToo View Post
Wozney:
Yes! I agree about the Pamidas' We had one in Rugby and I always thought it looked rather disorganized. A poor version of a K-mart in my opinion. It sounds like there is both good/bad that our dollars are a near match again.
It sounds like less Americans will be going into Canada for vacation/shopping now because of similar dollar. Also heard that it will hurt Canadian manufacturing the most. Our Federal Government has really screwed everthing up here, and if Billary gets in as president, I might have to move to Canada(the other end of Lake Metigoshe)....
Yes, hopefully the local stores will not be affected too much with Walmart moving in. Walmart is not the whole answer store to everything, in my opinion. Here in California, Walmart is pretty much run by the Hispanics, so hard to communicate sometimes if you have a question.
We use to go to Bossivian a lot when I was growing up in Rugby, ND and would sit in our cars to play bingo for cars and cash. My dad's favorite fishing hole at that time was Killarney, so we went there often.
Do you are anyone else know anything about the lumber yard at Lake Metiegoshe? Was wondering how well stocked they were, but mostly if they sell hardwoods.
Thanks in advance!!
just a bit off topic and i am not a democrat but i dont understand your logic when it comes to the billary comment.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:47 AM

325 posts, read 1,549,061 times
ssgoodman:
My point is I'm just a little scared for who we have running for office. Wasn't really
an attempt to sound off on politics here. Probably would have best to have been posted
in a political forum. Thanks for brining it to my attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota