Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 08:26 PM

268 posts, read 1,613,974 times

Advertisements

Wow! Didn't think my post would touch such a nerve. Moorhead State professor Wayne Garmudson has a bunch of similar photos at the Plains Art Museum in Fargo of NoDak if y'all wanna get more riled up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 09:26 PM

103 posts, read 706,368 times
That's ok Old Surrender. It is just that the New York Times did the same thing a couple years back about Divide County...Crosby. They took gloomy pictures, old cemeteries, abandoned farmsteads, prairie trails, etc... etc... with the story "emptying of the prairie". But said nothing about the people who were living and thriving in the area. It is all about selling a story. We could go to New York or Washington DC and take pictures of only the slums, homeless, burnt out condemned buildings, murders abd crunes and write a story about that this is what New York or DC are all about also...but of course leave out the vibrancy of those cities, I guess. I'm sure their city fathers would be whining like me.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:15 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,552,765 times
Nice photos.....of a place not very well-known...Thanks !..

Old 01-10-2008, 05:04 PM

979 posts, read 3,668,568 times
What I think is interesting, is National Geographics did a photo spread on the depopulation of ND (with much emphasis on the NW part of ND) and now the New York Times has a front page spread on the Oil Boom in NW ND. It all kinds of contradicts itself. The NG doomy gloomy pictorial of a dying ND, and NYT about the prosperous, energetic ND. Oh Well!

Old 01-10-2008, 07:46 PM

325 posts, read 1,548,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloff1976 View Post
What I think is interesting, is National Geographics did a photo spread on the depopulation of ND (with much emphasis on the NW part of ND) and now the New York Times has a front page spread on the Oil Boom in NW ND. It all kinds of contradicts itself. The NG doomy gloomy pictorial of a dying ND, and NYT about the prosperous, energetic ND. Oh Well!
Well, being from NoDak, that could be good or bad. The people that live in NoDak know what its like. The truth is, that people from NoDak could really give a hoot! This is just my opinion. National Geographic probably never spent much time in North Dakota. I bet if they allowed themselves to become personally involved with the state, they just might think differently. People just don't always get it! Its not always about the great weather! Or, if you have mountains and nice scenery. I bet if you asked a native NoDaken, they would say I have all the scenery I need. I think sometimes its hard to explain to someone that never grew up in the same place we talk about in these forums. I think we kinda lean towards what we remember in our youth, and maybe in our old age, we rediscover what we are missing because in our youth we loved where we were and didn't even realize it until we were old..
Now, that sounds like a mouthful....

Old 01-11-2008, 05:01 PM

489 posts, read 1,914,287 times
Talking Western ND

March 2007 I returned to Bismarck to get my furniture and took the trip back to Los Angeles 400 miles a day so my partner and I could really get a feel of the western part of the country. Here are the pics from beautiful western ND.

I took this picture in spring of 2006 of the capital. Plain building, but beautiful grounds! The inside more than makes up for the stoic appearance of the outside of the building!

Old 01-22-2008, 09:49 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
Just a reminder~this thread is for posting pics of North Dakota, questions about the areas, and discussion of the pics.

I'd appreciate it if any other topics were discussed in the other threads. Thank you.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:33 AM

325 posts, read 1,548,310 times
This is a pretty good link, with people/places pictures around North Dakota. You can't cut and paste the full size view, so I'll just provide the link here: Enjoy!!

North Dakota Tourism Catalog System (broken link)

Old 02-17-2008, 05:52 PM

314 posts, read 930,532 times
Any winter pictures of the eastern half of the state?

Old 02-18-2008, 10:29 PM

947 posts, read 3,571,475 times
Default Williston?

I lived in Williston for a short time and would love some pictures of the town.. if anyone lives there or travels through.. could you take some pictures for me? I'd love to see whatever you can grab, but do have a few specific requests if someone has the time

(Private message me if you'd like!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota