Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 06:11 PM

4 posts, read 145,849 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! My family which consists of my wife, my daughter, 13, and myself. We are looking to move in a quiet but community-oriented area. We are looking to buy, even if only to re-sell in 10 years. We have narrowed our search via school districts and the top two schools were B.H. Conley and Bear Brass High Schools. We are a 30-something couple who loves the outdoors but live in a modern world. We are looking to stay within 20 miles of Greenville and in the 2 districts mentioned and We are attending ECU. Any suggestions? All posts appreciated on anything in the Greenville, Williamston, Grimesland, or Bear Grass areas. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2006, 12:00 PM

3 posts, read 32,526 times
Default Coincidence!

My husband and I are also in our (early) thirties, and we moving to the Greenville area in a few months. Coming from Florida, we wanted to start a family in an area with good schools and a community oriented atmosphere close to the water. We looked everywhere on the coast for our ideal town, and we think we found it in Greenville.
It makes me feel good that someone like you (active family man) is looking at Greenville also. Hopefully, there are a lot more folks that share those values there; it sure seems like it
See you there?

Old 03-28-2006, 10:19 PM

2 posts, read 9,165 times
If Youre Talking About Greenville South Carolina Thats About 300miles From The Beach And To Spark71 Check Out Maxwell Springs In Greenwood South Carolina About 50miles From Greenville But I Pretty Sure You Would Love It Very Nice Neighborhood Only About 4 Yrs Old Its Supposed To Be Based On The Early Years But All New Homes And Stuff And I Think They Are Going To Be Putting In Shop To Make T Be Like A Small Town Anyway Check It Out

Old 03-29-2006, 02:53 PM

4 posts, read 145,849 times
Default On Our Way To N.C.

Thank you ccforny & whiterash116. To: ccforny, maybe our families will help one another out. Where'd you settle on, we're near washington & greenville! reply!

Old 03-30-2006, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,911 times
Default D.H.Conley

I Graduated from their,and it's just a great place to live.I love Greenville/Grimesland area.I have moved to Franklin County.but I still call Gville home !!!

Old 06-06-2006, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,912 times
Default BearGrass Schools

I live in Williamston and 14yr old daughter goes to BearGrass School - We love it - communities around here very friendly - I moved here from Ahoskie 10 years ago, my husband has been W'ston native his entire life. If you attend church, there are many different churches in and around BG. There is also an excellent Recreational Sports in BG for your kids. My parents, brother and sister live in Winterville which is only about a 40 min drive from BG. I work in Williamston but we live out of town (about 8 min drive) I love living in Williamston area as we are so close to Greenville (which I prefer for medical doctors), Washington which is only 17 mi away has beautiful waterfront shops and historical houses. The BG school district is Rogers Elementary which is K-6 and Bear Grass High School which is 7-12. My daughter went to both and I would not have wanted her anywhere else. There are only about 18-20 kids per teacher. The teachers at both schools are very dedicated to our kids and keep the parents informed. There is no problem with drugs, bullies, etc., Hope this info helps.

Old 06-07-2006, 07:23 AM

192 posts, read 654,785 times
Quote:
All posts appreciated on anything in the Greenville, Williamston, Grimesland, or Bear Grass areas
Just wanted to throw in that you've listed them in the right order of size with Greenville, obviously being the largest.

Bear Grass is teeny tiny & quite rural. Grimesland I haven't visited in years, but it's also a small town & rural. Williamston is a very small city. Greenville is a much larger than all of those, but far smaller than Raleigh. You'll hear G'ville referred to as a "college town" & it is. It is also considered a "hub" city of eastern NC, as it's one of the larger cities in the central east, & a common destination for shopping, medical treatment & education to those in the surrounding areas.

Old 06-07-2006, 05:15 PM

212 posts, read 1,063,655 times
This is one of the best areas in the state. The hospital in Gville is excellent and new. Williamston is an outdoorsy little town because of the very beautiful Roanoke River with its large blocks of public land (roanoke river wildlife refuge/game lands). You could do a heck of alot worse than this area. I will most likely be relocating southeast of Greenville if I get picked up permanently at work. If it was closer to work I would go to Williamston.

Old 06-07-2006, 06:38 PM

787 posts, read 3,583,292 times
I live in Snow Hill and a move to Greenville, NC is going to put you about 90 miles or so from the coastal region of North Carolina. There is 301 miles on coastline on the North Carolina coast any of which is hurricane prone. That might be something you wish to consider as well. Greenville is far enough inland generally speaking to avoid the storm surge associated with a hurricane but as Hurricane Floyd of 1999 showed up, inland flooding can occur and when it does it can be very traumatic and expensive. Be sure you get flood insurance when you move here because first of all the hurricane season just started on June 1st and lasts until November 30th. Secondly, floods are not covered in traditional home owners insurance and thirdly, it takes 30 for the policy to be effective after you take it out. We got Hurricane Bertha in July, 1996 followed six weeks later by Hurricane Fran. I just would hate to see you get here and find out these things the hard way. As for the Greenville area like the post above me said the hospital is great. I live in Greene County which is to the southwest of Greenville. Enjoy your stay here.

Old 07-10-2006, 12:22 AM

24 posts, read 166,687 times
Default Busride to Greenville for school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickie
I Graduated from their,and it's just a great place to live.I love Greenville/Grimesland area.I have moved to Franklin County.but I still call Gville home !!!

Hi, I hope you don't mind the question or think it's strange. If you lived in the Grimesland area, did you ride the schoolbus to DH Conley? If so how long did it take? We are currently living in Oklahoma and want to move to the Greenville area. We thought about renting a place in a smaller area and then kind of easing our way into Greenville proper so to speak, however we do have a child that will be going into the 9th grade in a year... I guess D.H. Conley is the school they kids from Grimesland goto?

Thanks very much for your response, I really appreciate it.

Dave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina