Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 07:56 PM

851 posts, read 416,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
"Greensboro's got an airport and a complete urban loop as well as a ballpark and a PAC"....So what??? HOW do any of these things make GREENSBORO more relevant and important to the state than the cities other than #1 or #2? That was the OP's question. Most of the other leading cities have those same things. Your post doesn't really make an argument. Maybe in your reality it does.

Furthermore, the last that I recall, the airport was formally named Piedmont Triad International airport, which means that it's the region's airport, not just Greensboro's.
You think I'm going to argue with you? About THIS? What is it the kids say, LOL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2024, 07:59 PM

851 posts, read 416,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Many cities have those things and more. So your point is? I'm not following the logic as it relates to population or ranking. Unfortunately, that airport, "complete urban loop," ballpark, and PAC have not propelled Greensboro to grow as fast or faster than #1, #2, nor #4.
Let it go Johnny.

Old 03-20-2024, 08:05 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,162,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
You think I'm going to argue with you? About THIS? What is it the kids say, LOL?
You're not capable of making a sensible argument, just flip flopping depending on the day.

Old 03-20-2024, 09:07 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,620,852 times
I don't think Greensboro is in any danger of being surpassed by Winston. Because while Winston is growing slightly faster, it isn't growing at such a rate that it'll imminently jump Greensboro in population. Additionally, as already mentioned most of the premier entertainment venues of the region are in Greensboro; Greensboro has the livelier downtown and city core. Winston isn't a real threat...

Durham though, is. I'd vote that even as Durham leaps Greensboro soon, Greensboro being the primary city of Carolina's third largest metropolis, is more important than being the secondary city of Carolina's second largest region, but even with that opinion I think it's close and it isn't like I can't be swayed...

I think a major debate for me centers on the group of Asheville, Fayetteville, and Wilmington. Fayetteville by far is the largest city by city population of the three, but also has the smallest metro. At the same time I think Fayetteville's reach throughout SENC is comparable to that of Wilmington's in the same region, and Asheville's in Western Carolina. Yet, the two smaller cities are clearly stronger magnets of tourism with a broader economic and education base, and both probably mean more to the political infrastructure of NC than Fayetteville...

I see all three as a step behind Winston, though I personally prefer Fayetteville over all 3. But Winston is just a larger, more well-rounded city than either...

So I think 3 and 4 with Durm and Gso are debatable, and 6-8 between Avl, Fay, and Wilmington are debatable..

Old 03-20-2024, 10:14 PM

676 posts, read 492,754 times
1. Charlotte
2. Raleigh
3. Greensboro
4. Winston-Salem
5. Durham
6. Asheville
7. Fayetteville
8. Wilmington
9. Cary
10. High Point
11. Hickory
12. Concord
13. Chapel Hill
14. Greenville
15. Gastonia

Old 03-20-2024, 11:15 PM

377 posts, read 204,066 times
1. Charlotte
2. Raleigh
3. Durham
4. Greensboro
5. Morrisville
6. Chapel Hill
7. Winston-Salem
8. Cary
9. Asheville
10. Wilmington
11. Holly Springs
12. Apex
13. Wrightsville Beach
14. Bald Head Island
15. Southport

Old 03-21-2024, 06:30 AM

80 posts, read 69,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I don't think Greensboro is in any danger of being surpassed by Winston. Because while Winston is growing slightly faster, it isn't growing at such a rate that it'll imminently jump Greensboro in population. Additionally, as already mentioned most of the premier entertainment venues of the region are in Greensboro; Greensboro has the livelier downtown and city core. Winston isn't a real threat...

Durham though, is. I'd vote that even as Durham leaps Greensboro soon, Greensboro being the primary city of Carolina's third largest metropolis, is more important than being the secondary city of Carolina's second largest region, but even with that opinion I think it's close and it isn't like I can't be swayed...

I think a major debate for me centers on the group of Asheville, Fayetteville, and Wilmington. Fayetteville by far is the largest city by city population of the three, but also has the smallest metro. At the same time I think Fayetteville's reach throughout SENC is comparable to that of Wilmington's in the same region, and Asheville's in Western Carolina. Yet, the two smaller cities are clearly stronger magnets of tourism with a broader economic and education base, and both probably mean more to the political infrastructure of NC than Fayetteville...

I see all three as a step behind Winston, though I personally prefer Fayetteville over all 3. But Winston is just a larger, more well-rounded city than either...

So I think 3 and 4 with Durm and Gso are debatable, and 6-8 between Avl, Fay, and Wilmington are debatable..
Downtown Greensboro SUCKS. Winston's core is much more vibrant than Greensboro's. Compare the number of apartments being built in downtown Winston versus Greensboro over the past decade.

Old 03-21-2024, 06:42 AM

58,992 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
In terms of relevance and importance to the state? You can measure "importance" and "relevance" by a number of factors that matter to you; for me it's a combination of economy, cultural weight, influence on the state, etc...

I think there's unanimous agreement that Charlotte and Raleigh are the Top 2 cities here, so feel free to exclude them if you choose. This thread doesn't need to be a debate about whichever is #1 to you, though. Those are the Top 2 in whatever order...

So what about the rest? I reserve the right to change my rankings upon further review lol...

1 Charlotte
2 Raleigh
3 Greensboro
4 Durham
5 Winston-Salem
6 Fayetteville
7 Asheville
8 Wilmington
9 Cary
10 Concord
11 Greenville
12 Chapel Hill
13 Hickory
14 New Bern
15 Jacksonville
Does it really matter?

Each person has the right to like or dislike as they choose.

Just like colors. Some like red, Some like blue. Doesn't mean 1 is better or worse then the other.

I don't live in or near any of them and my area is just as important to the state.

Old 03-21-2024, 06:48 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,691,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-V-R View Post
Downtown Greensboro SUCKS. Winston's core is much more vibrant than Greensboro's. Compare the number of apartments being built in downtown Winston versus Greensboro over the past decade.
Wouldn't go as far as sucks. Love the Triad. So highly favor the Triad. Like Winston-Salem core over Greensboro. Greensboro for parks and family activities.

Old 03-21-2024, 07:42 AM

27,181 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Most of Research Triangle Park carries a Durham address and is home to a top 10 university and world-famous medical center but is being ranked behind Greensboro and Winston Salem. Homerism much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina