Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2024, 06:49 PM

241 posts, read 242,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I didn't make the list."

But you DID post it.

Yikes. Your original quote was asking why "I" only cared about the cities listed. The implication in that question is that this was a ranking "I" created which obviously I didn't. Lets not be obtuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2024, 05:22 AM

59,509 posts, read 27,639,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
Just because someone posts a link to something, that doesn't mean they have a responsibility to explain and justify the information. Nor are they obligated provide background information on the entity producing the information. That's the reader's job, if they are so inclined.
Your opinion.

Old 03-18-2024, 05:50 AM

941 posts, read 783,265 times
Quote:
Your opinion.
And obviously shared by others.

Old 03-18-2024, 06:05 AM

43,499 posts, read 77,483,955 times
Quote:
"I didn't make the list."

But you DID post it.
Seems reasonable that we should see YOUR list and criteria, perhaps?

Old 03-18-2024, 07:19 AM

9,919 posts, read 7,763,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laniakea2MASS View Post
Have lots of family and travel across the state - the advice was to move to the Triad if moving to NC. But it's the Triangle that just keeps pulling people in and I know people who move there even if it wasn't for the job.
We moved to Charlotte but moved to the Triad after a year in NC. Been here almost 4 years now. Love the Triad area. The + for us is lots to do with our little one with 4 children museums in the area, 3 to 4 science centers, 2 zoos, and an aquarium. Greenways and parks galore. Hiking, camping, and tubing spots within driving range. Driving range to quirky Artsy towns like Mount Airy or Boone.

Lots of colleges and universities. Also, there are lots of hospitals and healthcare organizations in the area.

Traffic isn't terrible. Housing cost is high, but that's everywhere. Rent is high, but again everywhere.

Entertainment is growing but slower than other major areas in NC. Food wise, the restaurant scene is growing. The downtowns don't feel as walkable as Raleigh or Durham or even Charlotte they have that big city feel to them. The cities of the Triad feel more like large towns, which is okay by me. Public transportation is meh be great if automated shuttles or rapid bus transportation connecting the cities in the Triad.

Overall, I love the Triad area!!!

Old 03-21-2024, 07:08 AM

59,509 posts, read 27,639,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamchaser13 View Post
Yes, another list. Smartasset has compiled a list of 99 US cities and the salaries required to live comfortably in those cities (Not paycheck to paycheck). They use what's called the 50-30-20 rule where 50% of income goes to necessities (housing, food, etc), 30% to wants and 20% to savings. The NC cities were ranked as follows:

11. Winston-Salem - $81,869
30. Greensboro - $87,110
63. Durham - $99,050
70. Charlotte - $101,338
75. Raleigh - $102,752

No real shockers personally, but it shows how NC is steadily becoming more and more expensive as its desirability increases. For reference $96,500 was the national average.
"NC is steadily becoming more and more expensive"
What state is not?

"News Releases CPI for all items rose 0.4% in February; gasoline and shelter up 03/12/2024
In February, the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers increased 0.4 percent, seasonally adjusted, and rose 3.2 percent over the last 12 months, not seasonally adjusted. The index for all items less food and energy increased 0.4 percent in February (SA); up 3.8 percent over the year (NSA).
HTML | PDF | RSS | Charts | Local and Regional CPI"

https://www.bls.gov/cpi/

Old 03-22-2024, 07:47 AM

2,548 posts, read 1,890,264 times
That's depressing.

Old 05-29-2024, 04:23 AM

16 posts, read 14,723 times
If you can land a role paying around $180K-$220K/year definitely consider moving out of the Triangle. We relocated to Raeford and the development isn't as rapid as Holly Springs or Cary, but more controlled. Feels like we're rich, but at the same time, traffic has gotten bad due to growth, housing prices unusually high for the city, but you can still build a new construction McMansion for under $700K .

Old 05-29-2024, 08:48 AM

3,323 posts, read 8,586,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qiqidee View Post
If you can land a role paying around $180K-$220K/year definitely consider moving out of the Triangle. We relocated to Raeford and the development isn't as rapid as Holly Springs or Cary, but more controlled. Feels like we're rich, but at the same time, traffic has gotten bad due to growth, housing prices unusually high for the city, but you can still build a new construction McMansion for under $700K .
I would garner to think landing a remote job that pays $180-$220k per year right now would be extremely difficult. I say that with some experience based on what I do and the fact I have two family members who were making around that salary who recently got laid off that have had no luck in landing a remote gig that pays that much. Good if you can get it!

Old 05-29-2024, 09:14 AM

5,489 posts, read 6,140,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qiqidee View Post
In my experience no new construction (with or without the McMansion designation) over 2400 sq ft can be found for anywhere near the price tag you've mentioned in a desirable area of the Carolinas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina