Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2006, 03:48 AM

45 posts, read 165,956 times

Advertisements

Hi all. After many months of not knowing where we might move whether NC or SC, we found out it will be anywhere around Charlotte.

We are coming from a small rural community of around 30,000. Farming community, great schools etc.

We have 3 kids ages 11, 8 and 6. We are most concerned about schools and the size community we move to.

I've read that some towns to consider are: Mooresville, Davidson, Huntersville, etc. Any other suggestions?

We currently live in a 1880 Victorian Farmhouse and would love to find either another old house or a new house that looks old. We also prefer a lot that would be between a 1/2 acre to 2 acres.

We could also live across the border in SC if that would be a better choice for us. Looks like maybe you can get more house for your money across the state line and the schools are supposed to be pretty good?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Haven't been able to sleep all night thinking about all of this. My kids start school here on Aug. 23 and it looks like we'll be moving in the middle of the school year. Much stress on this end.

Thanks so much,
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2006, 11:34 AM

4 posts, read 16,336 times
Smile how about sailsibury / mocksville /statesville

hi
i am originally from ohio myself. i now live in mocksville,nc its north east of charlotte. it is a very nice place to live. its very laid back small town more of a rural setting but it still has alot to offer. you could also check out salisbury,nc it is north of salisbury on I-85. its a nice town with alot to do. Also there is Statesville,Nc its off of I-77 , i work there and i like that town alot,it has alot to do around that area plus you are centrally located cause you can jump on 77 straight shot to charlotte or jump on 40 which is straight shot to Winston Salem......my email is john33_nc@yahoo.com email me,I will try to answer any of your questions you might have, plus let me know where ya from in ohio.....i'm originally from the Steubenville area
hope this helps you john

Old 08-11-2006, 03:06 AM

58 posts, read 344,583 times
I agree about Salisbury, I have lived here for about 7 years straight now, with 15 years back and forth to NY (custody thing). There are also some parts of Spencer and Concord that are historical. I would stay away from East Spencer and the Hwy. 70 area in Salisbury (widening the road to 4 lanes, many people selling).

If you would like something more rural, I like Gold Hill, not as close to i-85, but a nice place with a lot of history (my mom lives there and loves it).

Old 08-11-2006, 01:34 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,217,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkruk
I agree about Salisbury, I have lived here for about 7 years straight now, with 15 years back and forth to NY (custody thing). There are also some parts of Spencer and Concord that are historical. I would stay away from East Spencer and the Hwy. 70 area in Salisbury (widening the road to 4 lanes, many people selling).

If you would like something more rural, I like Gold Hill, not as close to i-85, but a nice place with a lot of history (my mom lives there and loves it).
We recently went to the town of Gold Hill (there had been a special section in the Charlotte Observer in regard to trips you can take on a tank of gas). It looked like a neat town and we particularly had fun at the (historical) village of Gold Hill. We got to talking to one of the store owners...and they will be relocating from Concord, NC and having a home built on 100 acres of land they purchased.

http://www.historicgoldhill.com/id19.htm

On the drive to Gold Hill we went through Mount Pleasant, NC. I don't know anything about this area...but they had several wonderful old victorian homes throughout the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina