Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 01:22 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,890,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
My little baby is 10 years old now, she is up to my shoulder...she is close to being able to wear my shoes...I fear this is a sign she is really going to reach the 6 foot mark doctors have predicted for her.

I understand now, I think the biggest thing is not to offend your Mother, obviously things were done different in her time, thats a small thing to ask that people show that respect for her.
My parents while well known where I came from, were VERY casual people in this way...well my Mom at least, I don't know that any people called my Dad the same, most of my friends were just a wee bit affraid of my DAD...kind of funny when I look back at it.
I think my neices refer to me as Aunt Lisa or my Aunt Lisa when talking to other people but when they talk to me they just call me Lisa.

In your family did you have unusual names for your grandmothers?? My daughter calls my Mom, Grandma, when she was too little to say that, she called her Cranny, it was SO cute...I called my grandmother Nani...She called my Father PaPa...

I'm pretty informal, you can call me Lisa...I probably won't answer to B***h or anything like that though.
Hey Lisa -

Ah, you've a nice healthy daughter there. If I had one, shoes would be off limits, though. None of my 4" Manolo Blahnik's for the 6', 10-yr olds! Actually, I come from a very tall, thin family, too. My brothers were well over 6' as young teens.

Sadly, I never met any grandparents. They were long gone before I was born. All my relatives are in Europe, so I've never met most. I come from a family that looks very young for our ages, by 15-yrs or more, but we all keel over in our 40-50-60's. My dad didn't make it out of his 50's & everyone of his 12 siblings died in their 40-50's. My mom is the longest living person in 4 generations on either side of the family. I'm an old geezer in my family. I'm 48, but get mistaken for a college kid quite often. Maybe it's the bookbag, college sweatshirt & hanging out at Boston U. busstop that does it???

Nope, I'll never call you anything other than Lisa. I'm glad you clarified that. Until now, I've been calling you Lisa from Debary. It's uterly exhausting...

Thank you, Lisa. Nice talking to you... VV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I always called introduced my Mom as...my Mom...but my Dad...I introduce as Pete (nickname). We worked together for a few years on the rigs. I always asked guys have you seen Pete? They would always ask me why I called him Pete and not Dad! Cause I'm a grown man and I would feel weird asking guys hey have you seen my Dad. Made me feel...like 10 or something.
I agree. If Ma starts working the rigs, I'm gonna' call her Pete, too... I wanna' feel 10 again, too!

Thanks, Rance... VV

Old 05-16-2007, 01:27 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittensPurr View Post
Hey Lisa -

Ah, you've a nice healthy daughter there. If I had one, shoes would be off limits, though. None of my 4" Manolo Blahnik's for the 6', 10-yr olds! Actually, I come from a very tall, thin family, too. My brothers were well over 6' as young teens.

Sadly, I never met any grandparents. They were long gone before I was born. All my relatives are in Europe, so I've never met most. I come from a family that looks very young for our ages, by 15-yrs or more, but we all keel over in our 40-50-60's. My dad didn't make it out of his 50's & everyone of his 12 siblings died in their 40-50's. My mom is the longest living person in 4 generations on either side of the family. I'm an old geezer in my family. I'm 48, but get mistaken for a college kid quite often. Maybe it's the bookbag, college sweatshirt & hanging out at Boston U. busstop that does it???

Nope, I'll never call you anything other than Lisa. I'm glad you clarified that. Until now, I've been calling you Lisa from Debary. It's uterly exhausting...

Thank you, Lisa. Nice talking to you... VV
LOL, yea that is kinda long...
well I don't wear expensive shoes, I wear mostly sandals...I did have a moment to pause when she walked up in my black Tommy Hilfiger clogs though.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:24 AM

Default Update...

Well, here's one way to solve a problem.

I was supposed to have several friends for Sat dinner, but as the weather was bloody awful & several had to drive long distances (& were tentative guests anyway), just one was able to come, which was fine. She grew up in a very formal family, as did I, so I felt fairly certain that when I introduced my mom, she'd call her Mrs. X. I introduced my friend as "Mary" & my mom with her full name.

What happened? They both spoke to each other in French (my friend is from Paris) for about 10-min. I don't speak French. I guess, in this case, it all worked out... with no help from me. All's well, my mom's happy & she didn't report not liking how she was addressed. How was she addressed? I have no earthly idea. Perhaps the box of Belgian dark chocolate my friend kindly gave her had alot to do with it! I learned this with the 1st Christmas gift I purchased for my mom, with my own money. I was 7 & I bought her a 10-cent, large-sized Baby Ruth & wrapped it in newspaper with about 2-ft of tape. She said it was just what she wanted for Christmas.

Next time, I'll try out the suggestions, as they were very good. Unless I invite more French folks over & then, they've got it covered... VV

Old 05-21-2007, 01:32 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Default Ky Introductions

No problem introducing your mother here in East Ky. Age doesn't matter..We just say "This is my mommy" If you are introducing your grandmother you just say, "This is my mamaw". If you are trying to impress someone from another state, you say " This is my mom" or "This is my gran'ma"..

Old 05-21-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
No problem introducing your mother here in East Ky. Age doesn't matter..We just say "This is my mommy" If you are introducing your grandmother you just say, "This is my mamaw". If you are trying to impress someone from another state, you say " This is my mom" or "This is my gran'ma"..
Sweet & simple, yeah? We all have our own traditions, which is great. I just have to figure out what mine are! Thanks, Blue.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:18 PM

942 posts, read 2,583,696 times
Im 37 and if I'd ever call my parents other than mom or dad I might get back handed!!

I always introduced my mom as "this is my mom Onelia". My mom actually liked it when other kids called her mom. Times change, kids when I was growing up although they called my mom; mom the knew there boundries. With my sons friend most anyway I prefer for them to talk me Mrs. X; if I dont know them well. I do not prefer it however, I have noticed that kids now a days dont know thier boundries. It's unfortunate because I'd rather be everyones mom. I kinda have an open door policy and have alot a kids in my home (that way I could keep an eye on my kids).

Back to topic, I would just say this is my mom Mary Smith.

Last edited by Pixie Dust; 05-21-2007 at 08:55 PM..

Old 05-21-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie Dust View Post
...I have noticed that kids now a days dont know thier boundries.
Agreed. I've also noticed some folks my age who don't either. Depends on what we were initially taught at home & then as adults, we're responsible to take it from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships