Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2024, 07:31 AM

11,804 posts, read 12,045,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Because I don't care to be staring at my phone. I want to be enjoying the experience. I don't wish to join Zombie Nation. I HAVE my phone if I need it. I DON'T need it on 24/7 if I'm just walking around on a solo jaunt.

Again...the first time, I had no reason to EXPECT to be in touch with them; one was busy, the other didn't like the weather, so it was decided we'd try another time; it was settled.

The second time, I was just asking if they would be available (again, no pressure) on that date (it's a group trip on short notice; the date wasn't determined by me). There was NO reason she couldn't have simply emailed "yes" or "no" and, as I said, we'd go from there, but she refused.

Again...I'd have switched to text if we had a meeting planned, but we didn't yet.

I concur that neither of us cares all that much, especially now that I know she's yet another of those insufferable tech bullies and snobs.
IMO, the problem is that it was settled for you but not them. It seems you decided for everyone that they wouldn't enjoy it in the rain and you turned off the method by which you'd been in contact with them all the way along. On their side, you did appear to be ignoring them because you were no longer responding.

You need to own your part in this, not criticize everyone else for using technology in a way that doesn't suit you. That IMO, is the control issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2024, 07:38 AM

21,898 posts, read 12,998,839 times
I can see where they would think I was "ignoring" them that first time (after they totally changed their minds and decided they COULD meet me after telling me they COULDN'T) if they didn't know -- or didn't believe -- that I keep my phone off, but after I explained that, it should've been all good again, it seems to me.

Old 04-19-2024, 07:39 AM

9,880 posts, read 14,142,348 times
Quote:
I concur that neither of us cares all that much, especially now that I know she's yet another of those insufferable tech bullies and snobs.
Tech bully and snob? Are you kidding me? She just did exactly what you had already done to her. You had already tried to dictate the manner of communication, she was just doing the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
they seem unwilling to give a little.
What? On two separate occasions, the OP essentially said, "I am coming close to where you live to do a very specific thing. If you want to do that specific thing with me, fine. If not, catch you later."

I completely understand why they didn't want to engage further with the OP. They knew the visit had nothing to do with them.

Old 04-19-2024, 07:40 AM

22,610 posts, read 47,717,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post

You need to own your part in this, not criticize everyone else for using technology in a way that doesn't suit you. That IMO, is the control issue.
Preach!

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; Yesterday at 12:10 PM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 04-19-2024, 08:43 AM

22,352 posts, read 29,465,198 times
OP-Hate to say it but you are way behind the times and you need to get with it. Whether you like it or not, it's not changing

Old 04-19-2024, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
On two separate occasions, the OP essentially said, "I am coming close to where you live to do a very specific thing. If you want to do that specific thing with me, fine. If not, catch you later."
There would have been time AFTER "the thing I wanted to do" to get together, but she volunteered to do the thing with me, as she had never done the thing. And, no, I'm not traveling all that way as rarely as I get to and NOT do the thing.

The second time around, we never got that far; I simply asked if they'd be available the day I was coming (which is beyond my control) without specifying what I'd be doing.

Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM

7,165 posts, read 4,562,630 times
I have unlimited talk, text and quite a lot data for a flat fee of 15/month with T-Mobile. Sometimes people change their minds and you would have known if you left your phone on. It can be on and you not a slave to it. Both of you are too rigid in my opinion.

Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM

Granted, we're both too rigid -- or stubborn; family trait. But who was "wrong" in this case?

Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM

7,165 posts, read 4,562,630 times
Quote:
Granted, we're both too rigid -- or stubborn; family trait. But who was "wrong" in this case?
I think you made a mistake by not leaving your phone on and then you would have gotten her message. But no one is “wrong.” She got mad and is now insisting on her way. It appears now developing a friendship isn’t going to happen.

Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I think you made a mistake by not leaving your phone on and then you would have gotten her message. But no one is “wrong.” She got mad and is now insisting on her way. It appears now developing a friendship isn’t going to happen.
I disagree, but then I would...

I'm not a person who leaves her phone on all the time, and she was aware of this. When it was determined that a meeting wasn't happening that trip, that was that. She could be disappointed that I didn't get the message, but I don't believe had a right to be "mad" about it. I have the right to not be a slave to my phone if that's how I choose to conduct my life and experience my vacations.

Then there's the fact that I DID text her about the next trip, using her preferred method of communication over my own, and was ignored for 12 days. If she is constantly living on her phone, she obviously got it, so that seems like petty payback.

We concur that this cousin friendship has been nipped in the bud by a clash over technology use.

What a shame!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships