Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2022, 07:10 AM

36,860 posts, read 31,142,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You keep repeating that as if it will make it true

*Slang: Often Offensive. a term used to refer to a girl or young woman. https://www.dictionary.com/browse/chick

*(colloquial, sometimes derogatory) A young, typically attractive, woman or teenage girl. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/chick

*3 informal + sometimes offensive : GIRL, WOMAN
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/chick

*slang a young woman. This word is considered offensive by many women. https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/.../english/chick

*old-fashioned + informal + sometimes offensive : a woman or girl
https://www.britannica.com/dictionary/chick

So forth and so on.

My great grandma doesn't mean anything when she uses the other N word either, she grew up using it as a polite term, doesn't make it any less offensive.
Glad it wasnt just my grandma. She used to use a version of the N word because that's just how they described folks then. It was not meant as a derogatory term and she was shocked and didnt understand when she was told one could no longer say that word or any version thereof. She would be 115 today. She passed at 104 and 11 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2022, 08:27 PM

6,755 posts, read 6,006,086 times
I can’t believe people are still here debating whether “chick” is derogatory.

Old 12-01-2022, 01:01 AM

1,000 posts, read 603,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Hey, I accidentally dialed a wrong number once, and it was answered by a ma'am in Tennessee. I took the opportunity of saying how hospitality and kind Southern women were.

She answered with "think yewwww".

Then she explained to me that that is not a kind response - they just do it to politely knock you down.

Years later, a female, young, new hire, store clerk got frustrated when I asked her "how many packages do you have"? - After she told me they were out of the cartons. So, I then said, "Think Yewwww! - at which she pushed a button, that brought down her supervisor. After explaining this to the supervisor, I was able to buy a few packages of cheap Eagles cigarettes.

I just love learning things.
This is hilarious. I must try this.

To answer your question OP, I would agree with the poster who said "Talk to me with respect". Nothing wrong with that.

I'm a bit more direct and would say "Check that attitude", and stay silent until she apologizes.

Old 12-01-2022, 03:45 PM

2,646 posts, read 3,179,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
And yet...again, your title was about cantankerous women. Not cantankerous people. You say you're just stating what you've seen. You've never seen a cantankerous man?

I kinda think you might be the cantankerous, bitter, pot stirrer in this thread.

I was responding to the thread & it concerned cantankerous women. That's why my comments were about them. I worked with about 30 women in that office, in various departments, who I was very fond of. I am still friends with several of them 27 years later. If I were starting up an office of any sort today, these are the first people I would call to invite onboard. They kept the place going through turmoil of all kinds. There were hundreds of women at the company but I didn't know all of them.

Yes, I have dealt with a good many cantankerous men. Our department head at that office was a thug in a 3 piece suit. Field managers were often men with overinflated egos.

Sorry to shoot your bucket full of holes. Home Depot is having a sale on them so you can get a new one cheap.

Old 12-01-2022, 04:01 PM

15,906 posts, read 21,542,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmil View Post
I'd like to think of myself as a gentleman. I try to be cordial and polite in general, but especially around women (it's how I was raised). But being an adult means sometimes you have to deal with women who are not very ladylike.

I recently encountered this at work. I was speaking with a woman in another department and from the outset she was a little rude. Normally I wouldn't pay it any mind, but she kept overtalking me and started to raise her voice. I had to catch myself before I use some choice words with her, but I just managed to coast the call to a close and hurried up and got off.

Now, this isn't my boss or anything like that. I don't know what her problem is but apparently she's known for being "feisty". When I was told that by one of co-workers, again, I had to catch myself before I said some choice words. Like ohhhhh she thinks she's some kind of bad-ass....

Ahem.

Like I said, at my age it takes a lot to get me riled up and upset, but that's only the result of good home training. I actually can have a pretty bad temper when I get there, which is why I was really wanting this chick to relax.

But the thing that bugs me is, I feel like women like her try to present as "tough" when they're dealing with men in part so they won't come off weak, but also because they know a man (at least in a professional setting) can't match their energy the same way a woman could. A woman is under no obligation to let another woman talk over her and loud talk her. But as a man, it's almost seen as threatening if you talk to a woman like that, even if that's how she's conducting herself.
Calling a coworker a chick, expecting colleagues (or anyone) to act "ladylike" (read: different standards for women), and even hinting at using "choice words" in a professional setting because someone overtalks you don't exactly scream good "home training."

If I said choice words for everyone who talked over me in a professional setting then, well, I'd probably be the "chick" you are describing.

Old 12-01-2022, 09:55 PM

720 posts, read 504,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Calling a coworker a chick, expecting colleagues (or anyone) to act "ladylike" (read: different standards for women), and even hinting at using "choice words" in a professional setting because someone overtalks you don't exactly scream good "home training."

If I said choice words for everyone who talked over me in a professional setting then, well, I'd probably be the "chick" you are describing.
Good home training =/= pure thoughts. It means you have sense enough not to act on impulse and speak with decorum even if someone is being rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships