Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2022, 07:49 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
.... I came here to complain about the people who complain on the town Facebook page. Yep I did.
LOL. No kidding!

It's easier for people to find things to complain about than it is to find things to say good things about. It doesn't just happen on Facebook, it happens everywhere.

But I don't think complaining about complainers does anyone any good.

I think chronic complainers are a fact of life and they do it because they're bored stiff and angry with their own lives. Nobody else in real life except other downers wants to associate and put up with them so the complainers take their discontent to the world wide web where they can be anonymous.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2022, 05:04 AM

16,306 posts, read 8,126,207 times
I think the point people are missing is that it's different when you complain using your real identity on Facebook particularly a town page. I just wonder what people are thinking when they do this. Or do think they're being some sort of town leader ?

Old 11-10-2022, 05:06 AM

16,306 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
LOL. No kidding!

It's easier for people to find things to complain about than it is to find things to say good things about. It doesn't just happen on Facebook, it happens everywhere.

But I don't think complaining about complainers does anyone any good.

I think chronic complainers are a fact of life and they do it because they're bored stiff and angry with their own lives. Nobody else in real life except other downers wants to associate and put up with them so the complainers take their discontent to the world wide web where they can be anonymous.

This is quite an accusatory complaint about others right here.

Old 11-10-2022, 05:12 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
I think the point people are missing is that it's different when you complain using your real identity on Facebook particularly a town page. I just wonder what people are thinking when they do this. Or do think they're being some sort of town leader ?

People aren't embarrassed about their behaviors anymore. Neither the speeder in the complaint, or the complainer, is likely to care who knows who they are.

I'm more like you, I don't like my behaviors or opinions emblazoned all over local public media, generally speaking. I'm a private person and the less people in real life know about me the better. I don't belong to any local pages, no NextDoor or local FB pages. I'm just not interested in any of that.

I do follow our local police page though, being a government employee, and like you, I am often shocked by the stupid things people say, under their own name. Apparently no one cares what they sound like any more.

Dumb is in?

Last edited by catsmom21; 11-10-2022 at 05:22 AM..

Old 11-10-2022, 05:21 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
The answer is in the post title. Facebook.

Old 11-10-2022, 05:33 AM

45,334 posts, read 60,500,026 times
As a retired former six term local elected official I'm of two minds about this.

We can stipulate that many times Facebook is a cesspool.

One thing I noticed in my time as an elected official that stretched from 1986 to 2018 is that people are very hesitant to talk in person about an issue.

Anecdote: We had one woman who came to a Town Council meeting to report that the house of one of her neighbors (it was a seasonal house so wasn't occupied all the time) had been broken into. Well the Resident Deputy at the meeting got up to investigate but then was told that it had happened three weeks previously. When asked if she'd reported it at the time the answer was no, she wanted to wait until our meeting to say anything.

If Facebook helps in reporting things like downed power lines, missing stop signs, etc. it can be tremendously helpful. If it's used, and it will be, by constant complainers (a Black kid walked by my house, I think he's a drug dealer, so and so has the wrong kind of flowers, so and so has too many cars, the "wrong" people come to the Beach, you wouldn't believe what some people with too much time on their hands will complain about) it will be a negative.

Old 11-10-2022, 05:53 AM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
On my neighborhood FB page, our city councilperson and their staff are members of the group, so often if there's a complaint or a vent, these folks can see the commentary and escalate a solution rather quickly.
Our local town officials do not monitor a community FB page. They are busy and that is not our official avenue for interacting with the Select Board. They can email them or call the town clerk's office.

Old 11-10-2022, 05:58 AM

247 posts, read 235,711 times
It’s about as useful as you writing about it here <laughing emoji>

Old 11-10-2022, 06:03 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
I get the venting thing but it also seems embaressing for the person depending on the issue...especially in a small town. Maybe people just dont care...but if I meet someone in person and i recognize them from being a pain on the town facebook page it doesn't sit well ya know? People sometimes share too much.

When something annoying happens to me i tend to complain to my husband, mom, or friends
Why are they a 'pain' because they vent, maybe they want people to realize there is a problem, or that maybe it's a way to seek out confirmation that others are having a similar problem, maybe they want to get the residents talking about the problem. Why would it be embarrassing for them, they aren't doing anything wrong by pointing out a safety issue. Unless it's just someone who is a chronic complainer and nit picker, in which case everyone pretty much knows to avoid them to begin with, because they're already a PITA in person anyway.

Old 11-10-2022, 06:14 AM

1,859 posts, read 837,121 times
i remember mama always beeching about something.i ask her once why she complain all the time. she reply, how are you going to fix something if you dont complain that something wrong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships