Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 06:02 PM

6,866 posts, read 4,863,645 times

Advertisements

I think I would tell her that you are foreseeing too many potential problems and that you think it might be better if instead of her going with you this time, that the two of you can make plans to go somewhere else in the future.

Seriously, with the bed issue, her aches and pains, and the fact that she isn't paying... I think your peaceful time is not going to be what you had planned. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't end up damaging the friendship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2022, 06:14 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If she's paying you the equivalent to 1/2 of the room rate, then I suppose that the appropriate thing to do is to switch off. But if she's staying in the room at no charge (because you used points), then I wouldn't offer to switch. But maybe that's just me.

Agreed. If she's getting a free ride she can be happy with whatever she gets, or not go.

Old 09-14-2022, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
So although I used points, I had to pay for some of the stay because points didn't cover all of it.

I didn't request she pay anything so in short, she'll be staying in the room for free fyi. Which will be pretty sweet for her because the room is currently going for around $500 a night.
Your points were earned. And you had better clarify now that the room isn't the only thing she is expecting you to cover. When you invited her to come, she might be thinking you're covering meals and entertainment, too.

Old 09-14-2022, 06:26 PM

Quote:
I did just speak with her and let her know that I was able to get a free rollaway bed in lieu of not being able to get a double bed. I asked if that would be ok with her and she said she didn't know (she sounded pretty annoyed actually).

She said that it needs to be clean and comfortable. Hopefully it doesn't turn into an issue when we get there. Honestly, I really did think she would just say it's going to be just fine for her.

ETA: Now she's saying her body is hurting..quite a bit. Yikes.

Shucks...
You could end up losing this friendship over this. Sounds like she doesn't quite appreciate the generosity of the offer and doesn't seem to have the common social sense of contributing fairly. Are you in a different income class and typically pay the tab for your friends? If not, she should have offered to help pay for the room or pay for the meals. How far away is this hotel and how are you two getting there?

She also sounds like a whiner and you're going to hear about her aches and pains 24/7 for 5 days.

Old 09-14-2022, 06:38 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,829,872 times
Quote:
Really??

I thought I was a semi-expert traveler and knew many tips and tricks, but this is a new one!

I think they might laugh me out of the hotel with $20 in South Beach though . $100 might be more like it..
The hotel manager might sneer at a $20, but chances are, it's more than an hour's pay for a desk clerk. In Las Vegas, it sometimes will get you a suite upgrade.

I've visited about 100 countries on 6 continents, and it works for me. At 4-star places, a $10 will usually suffice.

Old 09-14-2022, 06:41 PM

708 posts, read 577,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I think I would tell her that you are foreseeing too many potential problems and that you think it might be better if instead of her going with you this time, that the two of you can make plans to go somewhere else in the future.

Seriously, with the bed issue, her aches and pains, and the fact that she isn't paying... I think your peaceful time is not going to be what you had planned. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't end up damaging the friendship.
I agree with this advice. It's unfortunate that she is doing this...I honestly don't know anyone who would think it was a problem sleeping on the rollout bed. She isn't very appreciative. You deserve this getaway, so call and tell her it's not going to work this time. Honestly, she won't be happy with either outcome, so I'd get it over with and go alone and enjoy.

Old 09-14-2022, 06:44 PM

6,866 posts, read 4,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
You say you want to get awy from the mom stress so you take the friend stress with you on your dime?

150 to cancel now and use the points when you travel without baggage might be worth it.

"Sorry, but between mom and work I have to cancel. Being a friend I am sure you understand. Can I treat you to dinner to make up for the disappointment."
Or, she could say "I was trying to escape the stress, but trying to book this for two, and the hotel not working with me on switching to double beds is creating so much stress for me that we will just have to do this some other time."

I don't see why OP should have to cancel and pay a fee for it. She tried to be nice, but if her freeloading friend can't see that, OP needs better friends.

Old 09-14-2022, 07:00 PM

554 posts, read 346,404 times
Quote:
I did just speak with her and let her know that I was able to get a free rollaway bed in lieu of not being able to get a double bed. I asked if that would be ok with her and she said she didn't know (she sounded pretty annoyed actually).

She said that it needs to be clean and comfortable. Hopefully it doesn't turn into an issue when we get there. Honestly, I really did think she would just say it's going to be just fine for her.

ETA: Now she's saying her body is hurting..quite a bit. Yikes.

Shucks...
This is the way the trip will be. Listen now to what is being said. The answers are already there for you to hear.

I have close friends that I've traveled with in our 20's and shared hotel rooms and the cost of the trip.
One of the friends wanted to take a tropical trip with me, I said fine, I will book my own room, she wanted to share because of the cost. Then we had different ideas of where to go for a tropical trip. I said, let's forget it. Now we're older and both need to have a nice trip, just not together.

If you want a nice relaxing get away sounds like you would be better off going by yourself rather than someone that is already complaining and is not sharing the cost with you.

It's ok to say, you've thought it over and think you really need to get away by yourself. Bring a good book, order room service, do a little shopping, have lunch poolside.

When I go away for much need rest and relaxation I do not want/care to have someone high maintenance with me.

Old 09-14-2022, 07:18 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
No; I'm 99% sure she won't offer to pay for anything towards the room. I won't be asking her to, it would be 'really' really nice if she would, but I am not expecting it and it is highly unlikely.

She's not going to book her own room; the current room cost is now $2200 for the nights we will be staying.

Yeah, I'm ok with the alternating but will see what she says. Only issue would be if she really doesn't want to stay in the rollaway at all.
If she's vacationing on your points and not contributing any payments then you get the king bed and she gets the roll-away cot. No switching back and forth. No arguments, dickering or discussions about it, make sure that it's final you are reserving the king for yourself full time.

Just make sure she knows in advance that that's what the arrangements will be in the event she wants to ask for an extra mattress pad or thick duvet to fold up and sleep on top of for additional cozy comfort. You might want to ask for an additional duvet for yourself to sleep on top of too for your own comfort. I've slept on cots in hotels and motels and asked for an extra duvet to sleep on top of because I'm such a wimpy whoosie about getting a good sleep, they have been very comfortable like sleeping on a cloud so I doubt she will have any difficulties.

If she's having second thoughts or kicking up a shindy about how much pain she's in, tell her you're cancelling the trip and saving points for another time, and whether you go now or later, don't mention it to her - you go without her so you can enjoy yourself.

Old 09-14-2022, 07:21 PM

4,221 posts, read 4,743,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You could end up losing this friendship over this. Sounds like she doesn't quite appreciate the generosity of the offer and doesn't seem to have the common social sense of contributing fairly. Are you in a different income class and typically pay the tab for your friends? If not, she should have offered to help pay for the room or pay for the meals. How far away is this hotel and how are you two getting there?

She also sounds like a whiner and you're going to hear about her aches and pains 24/7 for 5 days.
Oh boy.

Gosh, I definitely didn't consider inviting a friend on this trip to turn into something that could ruin a friendship.

We're in the same income class however she is being laid off soon within the next few months.

I am indeed typically the more generous friend. Between she and I, I am definitely the more generous one. I've treated her out multiple times for instance, however, she has never done so for me. Every friendship is different, so I just consider her to be my 'non generous' friend..meaning it is what it is at this point - if you want generosity you don't look for it from her is all.

I'm ok with her not paying anything; I just want to make that clear. I just don't want to share beds is all.

So we live in different states; we are both flying in to Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships