Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 10:54 AM

11,439 posts, read 9,378,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
For those of you that don't have, or don't use, a cellphone, do you carry a calendar/appt book? Address book? Calculator? Notepad and pen? Pocket camera? I think a smartphone has readily combined most of those frequently-used things into one device, but we're paying an always-connected penalty for the convenience.
I ditched my flip cell phone 3 years ago and I do not miss it. Never had a smartphone nor do I want one. I'm not supporting the industry and would like to go back to life before those things were made. It's an epidemic the way so many people are addicted to those devices. I often wonder what in the heck is so important that one has to be connected like that 24/7. A few select professions / situations, yes, I can understand how one is helpful.

To answer your questions I'm an older person who has a very sharp memory. I have some addresses and phone numbers stored on my desktop computer. If I need one it can wait.
Yes, I always carry a pen. Not into photography but if I was I'd buy a camera for special occasions. I only very rarely use a calculator as I prefer to add in my head or use my brain with pen and paper to do math myself when needed.

Last edited by John13; 07-15-2017 at 11:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 10:55 AM

11,439 posts, read 9,378,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
i have a work phone & a personal phone. work phone sits on the kitchen counter when i'm not at work - they don't pay me to be on call, so it's a paperweight after hours. it is on, but not on my body.

personal phone is kinda hit & miss. sometimes it's on my body, sometimes it sits on the kitchen counter. if i'm with hubby, i don't need the phone. if i go out without him, i will take the phone.

nothing in my life is THAT important. life existed before cell phones & it will go on without mine.
Beat me to it.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:35 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,414,293 times
I have not yet had a cell/smart phone, my lifestyle doesn't require such a thing.
My phone is the landline, my internet is desktop computer.

When I'm home, I am on the computer, but I may be listening to music or watching a tv show (and at other times, checking email, sure).
When I'm not at home, I don't need internet or phone capability-anything going on can wait 'til I get back. Realize that isn't so for some folks.

When I'm out in the world, I see all sorts of people fixated upon their palmscreens and/or ensconced in earbuds, and I feel like the last unencumbered person out there.

IOW, I'm already living a *selectively* disconnected life by my choices about which technology I let into my daily life/dwelling, by being slow to adapt to change.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:19 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,201,892 times
No. I don't leave my cell phone at home. The phone is on me most of the time, but I'm a not on it 24/7.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:55 PM

12,336 posts, read 17,230,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
I have not yet had a cell/smart phone, my lifestyle doesn't require such a thing.
My phone is the landline, my internet is desktop computer.

When I'm home, I am on the computer, but I may be listening to music or watching a tv show (and at other times, checking email, sure).
When I'm not at home, I don't need internet or phone capability-anything going on can wait 'til I get back. Realize that isn't so for some folks.

When I'm out in the world, I see all sorts of people fixated upon their palmscreens and/or ensconced in earbuds, and I feel like the last unencumbered person out there.

IOW, I'm already living a *selectively* disconnected life by my choices about which technology I let into my daily life/dwelling, by being slow to adapt to change.
Again saw an example of fixation yesterday. People with the bright screen on during a movie, texting away. At the IMAX 3D showing of Spider Man. Its Spidey and tickets were not cheap. Still looking at the phone. The bright screen was distracting also.

Even one of the Avengers cannot defeat the smartphone. Ugh.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:28 PM

8,000 posts, read 5,444,924 times
I see no purpose on disconnecting. My iPhone is a camera, a map, a gps, where is a coffee shop, etc. It has a the kindle app on it--so if I get stuck somewhere or am having coffee I have my book at my fingertips.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:52 PM

12,336 posts, read 17,230,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I see no purpose on disconnecting. My iPhone is a camera, a map, a gps, where is a coffee shop, etc. It has a the kindle app on it--so if I get stuck somewhere or am having coffee I have my book at my fingertips.
I understand your point of view. For me, the act of disconnecting is experiencing things while freeing myself of distractions. Especially in quiet areas like hiking trails or parks with my wife.

It might be due to being older, and having lived in a busy City that has limited places of quiet. I worked in Times Square for over a decade and was surrounded by virtual non stop noise, crowds and bizarre and sometimes gross or violent spectacles. Sometimes if in a forest area I wonder what life in a cabin in the woods would be like for a while. I grew up in the pre cell phone ere and agree with Cre8lite how life existed before the rapid evolution in tech, which both greatly enhanced our lives yet changed our culture and lives drastically.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:50 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,348,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Me too. If I need to "disconnect" I just turn on the application which has the phone in silent mode for a specified length of time and then automatically turns the sounds back on when the time is up. I also have another app which does that but also auto replies to calls or texts with an "away from phone" message so callers know. But leave the phone at home? No way.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:07 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,871,263 times
I never take my cell phone to the movies. There's still too many selfish rectums that can't leave it alone in the theater. Why stare at a small screen when you've paid good money to see something on a huge glorious screen? Idiots. They have an attention span of a gnat.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:13 AM

16,824 posts, read 17,837,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I recently have been leaving my cell phone home on weekends. I have been seeking a disconnect on weekends and focusing on enjoying the time with my wife and the nice Summer weather. I was in a forest today, and took some moments to not only experience but feel the environment. I went to a friend's later right from there and one was shocked at me choosing to disconnect. I keep it on me at work 5 days a week only for emergencies and to maintain contact with my wife. I feel mentally more clear and do not miss the phone at all. This came very suddenly for me as a decision. I get few calls or texts over the last few years.

My friend says he could never leave the phone behind as he would feel naked without it. He had it in his hand through a whole pay per view sporting event! I do not judge, but am curious- Anyone else partially disconnect with the smartphone? We are so conditioned now to seek or post info moment to moment as a society. It's like the whole world is broadcast live, everyone can be a DJ. People argue a lot on social platforms as well. I may have a different view growing up in the age of payphones and beepers, which was the it thing to have many moons ago.

I still play a little Xbox on weekends, as I am a long term gamer but prefer the outdoors by far.
Oh yay, another "people can't stop with the cell phones" thread. On the internet, while bemoaning the fighting on social media, the irony is palpable.

I always have my phone. I have kids, older parents, etc. I am glad you are enjoying your disconnect, I am less glad instead of just enjoying your disconnect you feel the need to come on the internet and complain about people who cannot disconnect. Maybe you should go outside instead.

Do you really not see the hypocrisy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships