Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 10:50 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,233,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I'm a cat person. Cats are awesome. Cat dishes are gross. You have a valid gripe.
Agree with this.

Here's what grosses me out about any dirty dishes being left: if they are not rinsed perfectly clean and stacked properly (so they just need washing with hot water and soap)!

I understand it is not always possible to wash every dish right away, however in a roommate situation, it's much more important.

When travelling I once stayed at a B&B of sorts but it was more like a room and bathroom and use of the kitchen in a private home. When I went to wash my teacup in the sink she told me I was wasting water and to take one cup for the week. EEW, the temperature was high and I was having milk in my tea.

Then she put some extremely dirty dishes (with bits of food still on them) in the sink and filled it to the top with hot water and soap ~ and left it there for about 5 days. Grease and food were coagulated on the top, and the water was cold. I could not bring myself to stick my hand in that water and was so grossed out I had to eat out for the rest of my stay!

Yuck!

OP diabetes can cause angry outbursts, especially when unregulated and eating a poor diet. I'd just get the heck out as soon as your time is up and let it be a good lesson, maybe next time do a 1 month trial period.

PS sounds like they should use paper plates and throw them out afterwards! I doubt they are open to it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 10:53 AM

122 posts, read 217,300 times
You have a gripe!!! I would too. Have you considered buying paper plates and asking them to feed them on the paper plate and then it can be tossed in the trash. My dishes are either being used or are in the dishwasher or immediately cleaned. The thought of eating off of a plate that a cat has licked on grosses me out!!!! Sorry cat lovers. Plates are for people only IMO.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:36 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,325,211 times
I would be grossed out, too. Any half-eaten food sitting in the sink unattended would be unpleasant to me but animal food is more unattractive than usual. I am also grossed out by animals walking on tables where people eat or on counters where food is prepared. I have no desire to eat hair — my own or that of any other being.

There's a reason why the cooks in restaurants have to cover their heads. I'm sure some of the permissive cat owners would have an issue with a hair in their food at a restaurant. So why is it OK for them to eat cat hair at home?

Best wishes to the OP. I hope phrumster finds a new home that is more suitable to his/her sensibilities.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:38 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,362,200 times
as long as theyre getting washed, who cares? I have a dog and a cat. Their dishes get washed with my dishes. Not a big deal.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:02 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,744,775 times
If that's the only problem you have with your living situation, why not just wash them yourself?

Surely it can't take that long ....

Old 01-18-2015, 01:57 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,933,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
If that's the only problem you have with your living situation, why not just wash them yourself?

Surely it can't take that long ....
I was just thinking the same thing. Wash them yourself. I have a cat, but I rarely give her wet food from a can. But on occassion, she gets it. When my kitty is done eating, I wash the dish immediately and put it in the cupboard below the sink--not with the people dishes. That's just the way I was taught, I guess.

I am a little shocked by the few posters who use or said to use disposable dishes for everything. I realize that washing dishes takes water (an increasingly precious resource), but throwing all that styrofoam and plastic in landfills can't be that good, either. Hmmmm.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:06 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times
Am also a cat person, and yet can't stand the smell of left-over cat food on a plate, nor can I tolerate a cat walking on the kitchen counters. Don't have a kitty right now, but when I did, kitty was trained to not jump on the counters (but would bet anything kitty did whatever he wanted while I out of the house ). I used disposable dishes for feeding kitty.

Thank goodness you can move at the end of your lease!

Old 01-18-2015, 02:10 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,772,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
.... So why is it OK for them to eat cat hair at home?
Adds fiber.....

I kid, I kid.

(it's actually keratin, so a form of protein...)

j/k.

As one who is awakened many mornings with a cat PAW being inserted into my mouth, I don't worry about it too much.

Old 01-18-2015, 02:18 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,141,152 times
Gross. It's an invitation to an all you can eat buffet for roaches, mice etc. Save $$ through the lease and find somewhere better when it's up.

Old 01-18-2015, 03:16 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Why are the cats not eating all the food on the plates?

I would just put the dishes back on the floor and let the cats finish their meal, then put them in the dishwasher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships